Pretty Girls Cry Too | Teen Ink

Pretty Girls Cry Too

By _tanyagrace BRONZE, Matthews, North Carolina
_tanyagrace BRONZE, Matthews, North Carolina

"Keep your head up princess, your tiara is falling"

Kendall Brookes is the definition of perfect. If anyone were to ask me what my idea of perfect was I would say Kendall. The thing is Kendall hardly knows I exist. I think maybe once we have talked, it was only so she could have a piece of notebook paper. She probably doesn't’ even know my name, probably doesn’t want to either. She is too perfect to hang out with a girl like me. I bet she never cries. She has nothing to cry over. She is perfect.

Kendall has long straight blonde hair that never once has touched hair dye. She is tan with big blue eyes and dark long eyelashes. She is short and cute and wears her cheer bow with pride. Everyone always talks about her. Every guy has liked her. She has a nice figure that I am sure any girl would love to have. She is so sweet from what I hear. I wouldn't know she isn't my friend. I would love to be her, she’s perfect. Something I am not.

On the first day of school I walk into home room to find the princess sitting with a crowd of people surrounding her. Then there’s me, all alone in the back. She is so popular, why can’t I be her? I wonder what it’s like to be perfect. I go home that day and go straight to my bathroom. I take all of my clothes off and stand in the mirror. I start to cry long loud sobs. I’m not pretty, because pretty girls don’t cry. I am fat, stupid, ugly, nobody likes me, I have no friends, and nobody wants to be my friend. I take a razor and make a few marks on my wrist and hips. Pretty girls don’t have to do this, because pretty girls don’t cry.

The next day at school I am sure to wear a sweatshirt. Today is going by very slow and I am trying my best to be happy. At lunchtime I find my normal lunch bunch, the only people who want to be my friend. I notice Kendall jump up and walk out of the lunch room. We still have ten minutes to eat, what is she doing? I continue to eat my lunch wondering if she is okay. I throw away my lunch and head to the bathroom. Gym is next and it’s rare that you find an empty stall.

As I walk into the bathroom, I hear faint sobs followed by gagging. I walk in silently so that the girl doesn't hear me. The girl is throwing up and crying. I wait a few minutes until I hear the toilet flush. The girl opens the stall door and stops when she sees me. I was frozen, that girl was Kendall Brooks, the perfect girl. She breaks down into more tears. “Don’t tell anyone please” she gasps. Even though we aren't friends I run over and wrap my arms around her. I don’t say anything for a bit I just wait until she calms down. “I am sorry if I scared you, I didn't mean to” she whimpers. I hold her close “You didn’t scare me” I say.

Her sleeve is pulled up just enough so I can see the cuts on her wrist. I look into her blue eyes that are now red and swollen. “You don’t need to do that” I tell her. She starts crying once more and I shush her. “Don’t worry I have them too” I say pulling up my sleeves. “You don’t need to do that either” she tells me. I smile at her, “Let’s clean you up” I say. I wipe her mascara that ran off her perfect face. I let her borrow my makeup but she asks me to do it for her. “Can you do my makeup just like yours?” she asks. I do it making sure not to mess up.

Once I finish her smiles and her face lights up. “What’s your name?” she asks. “I’m Macie White and you are Kendall?” I reply. She nods her head. I realize that the bell has already rang I start to grab my stuff but she stops me. She hugs me very tight “Thank you, for everything. You are truly a great friend.” She says with a kiss on the cheek. “Anything for you Hun” I reply. “Well I’ll see you around I got to get to Gym” I say grabbing my stuff. She waves goodbye and we walk in the opposite direction.

From that day on we became best friends. She came over often and spent the night. That day had changed me inside, but I realized something else. Pretty girls cry too.

Even the girls who appear to have it all sometimes are struggling the worst.

Thank you so much! It means a lot!

Myvoice4change SILVER, Other, Other

"Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

I love how you illustrated that even though sometimes people's lives seem PERFECT, it seems like they have it all going for them, their pretty, have lots of money, etc., they're still just like us, and alot of times we have no idea the struggles they are going through. really liked the article!