Violet Duo | Teen Ink

Violet Duo

By Griffin SILVER, San Bernadino, California
Griffin SILVER, San Bernadino, California

"I'm sorry to be the one to inform you, but your child is on crack."

Being the first week of school all we did was sit in the gym the whole class period. I saw some people I could have joined, but I decided to get ahead on my Geometry homework. After PE, they let all the students out early for lunch.
I headed to the cafeteria knowing I would avoid all the usual traffic and was then the first person to arrive at my hangout spot. The three tables between the flagpole and the lawn. Last year, all of us hung out at the flagpole. This year we migrated to the tables, and I’m sure next year the lawn will beckon us.
I was hallway done with my lunch when Rider was the first person to arrive at our spot. He rode on his new skateboard over and showed it to me as soon as he arrived.
“Be careful, the administrators will take it if they catch you.” I teased.
“They wish they could catch me.” He replied instantly. Even with his silly smile he managed to intrigue me.
Violet was next to arrive. She rushed over immediately after class and was short of breath when she sat down across from Rider.
“I have the money,” she spoke as she held up her palm to Rider.
“Then it’s yours.” Rider placed his palm to Violet’s and passed something between them, though appearing like a handshake.
Rider counted the money, thanked Violet and then rode off. Violet scooted close to me as our other friends and peers began to arrive numerously.
“Smell it! It smells like the same stuff my cousin had.” Violet held a small canister to my nose.
“What is-,” I sniffed a scent that was something like tobacco, but with a tinge.
“I don’t know, I have to ask him the name next time.” Violet could not contain her excitement. “Too bad it’s Thursday, maybe this weekend you can come over and smoke some with me.”
“How about Sunday? Won’t your parents be at church again?” I spoke eagerly, before I even stopped to think about what she was inviting me over to do.
“Perfect! I’ll ask my cousin to bring over his bong.” Violet put the stuff in her bag and then began to text on her phone.
“But, what is it?” I asked almost whispering.
“What,” she giggled, eyes on her phone, “its bud duh!” She giggled some more, “Don’t worry Serena,
I’ll make sure your cherry is popped this time.”
Violet was very excited for Sunday and promised to save the bud until I joined her. I was happy to see her happy and especially for something we were gonna do together, but I didn’t exactly know what to expect. I didn’t know what being high was like and my only examples were the sleepy kids in various classes who never looked like they were having a bad time. The only time I can remember seeing a high person sad was in PE last year, but I don’t think Violet would have me run any miles. The last time I smoked with her I didn’t get high, but she did and she had fun, so I’m looking forward to it.

The second in a short series.