The 47 Minutes of My Life | Teen Ink

The 47 Minutes of My Life

By MuhammadMatin BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
MuhammadMatin BRONZE, New Delhi, Other

Love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.

1208 Hours

I can hear steps. There's a movement outside the door, but I'm shut in. As I watch the ray of light penetrating through the tiny crack of the closed window into my dark room, I lay restless on my bed.

It's midnight, and I'm cold, eyes wide awake and thoughts still lingering among the series of events that happened all day.

The vehement thump of my heartbeats did not come with an ease until her final reply.

There was something about the situation, however, I tried I could not get my minds off it. I know I will never forget those 47minutes of my life. A wait worthy of its purpose what we all long for.

A gesture, a whisper of commitment, a prodigy of a lifetime.

I had known her for seven and a half months now. 3 poems, 108 days of diary entries, and the occasional Goosebumps on hearing her name— Richa —under her smile was the daintiest thing on this planet.

With the face of the most beautiful of a girl, in my eyes, she predominated the whole of her sex.

'Ignorance is a bliss'? No! You can't keep yourself from loving, once you know her. You simply cannot.

She was a flawless creation, a man could die to have, and yet I was uncertain on the evening of 4th March when I said that I liked her. I did like her, but the confrontation was not meant to be this soon. I thought I was not ready, although a part of me never felt more alive to open up, in spite of the odds.

It was so overwhelming, those 47 minutes, that nothing of the world made any sense. It was her, and her all over. That moment, even Subham could pop up in front of me to shake, and scream YOLO, and yet I wouldn't bother drifting my mind from her. Yes, it was this intense. I was lifeless as a Buddhist unconcerned about the worldly affairs sunk in his devotion to its deity—concentrating.

Only when my concentration was disturbed by the smiley face as her message. She seemed totally comfortable with the fact that I liked her. Better off, we were still friends. As my life restored back to normal I felt a chill down my spines.

The wait was finally over.