No More Obstacles | Teen Ink

No More Obstacles

May 28, 2014
By Laura Welch BRONZE, Indiana, Pennsylvania
Laura Welch BRONZE, Indiana, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Melissa Daniels walked down the crowded school hallway to her favorite classroom—the art room. Once she made her way through the sea of students, she happily entered the bustling room. “Hi, Miss Riley,” Melissa called to her art teacher, waving.
“Hello, Melissa. Go right ahead and grab whatever supplies you need to complete your clay bowl. I’m guessing you’ll find everything okay,” Miss Riley replied.
“Alright, I can do that. Thanks,” said Melissa, as she tucked her wispy shoulder length hair behind her ears.
Right away, Melissa started moving her hands in refined strokes and smoothing out her soft clay bowl. As she diligently worked, Melissa contemplated what an average day might have been like if she had selected to take a music class for her seventh grade elective instead of art, although that would have been difficult. Melissa had been born with a hearing impairment. She now wears hearing aids to assist her in education and daily tasks. Melissa chose to try art when she was young because singing or playing a musical instrument would have been strenuous for her with her current hearing impairment, and, of course, Melissa has had an increasing fondness for art ever since then. Her goal is to obtain more art skills and someday work towards a career involving art where her talents can flourish.
Melissa was so absorbed in her art that she lost track of time, and she was oblivious to the minutes slipping past her. When the dismissal bell rang, she wove her way through all the scurrying kids to get to her locker.
“Hey, can you hear me? Move out of the way!” An older student said to Melissa, loudly. He shoved her out of the way and continued to zip through the hall.
When she got to her locker, her best friend was hovering there with a bright smile on her round face, waiting patiently for her. “Oh, hi, Holly,” Melissa said and smiled, quickly getting over the inconsiderate student’s insulting remark.
Holly pushed her jet black hair behind her broad shoulders and answered, “Hey Melissa.” Holly Kramer was one of Melissa’s closest friends. Holly and Melissa had been friends since second grade. Second grade was a special year considering it was also the year that Melissa could go to a public school instead of a school for special needs children.
After Melissa had gotten her backpack and jacket from her locker, the two girls started their stroll home from school in the warm and breezy weather. Melissa lived at 3211 Robin Street, Doswell, Virginia, which was not too far from the school. Her neighborhood was quiet and usually calm. The best friends liked to go for walks and ride bikes in the nice weather when other cheerful children were outside soaking up some sun.

The next day at school, Melissa went through the day as usual. Her morning classes were the essential subjects, like Math, English, and other common subjects. Then she ate a quick lunch with Holly and her other best friend, Olivia James. Most of the time, students did not interact much with Melissa, other than a few not-so-nice comments about her hearing aids, like the boy in the hall had unkindly mentioned, but that did not phase her too much. She knew that all that mattered was how she saw herself and that she was confident in who she was. After lunch were the afternoon classes, which were the subjects that Melissa had chosen, such as writing and art. The last class of the day for Melissa was art class with Miss Riley.
Melissa was busy working on her clay bowl again when the classroom phone rang, and Miss Riley went to receive the call. Just as Melissa was about to get back to work, she overheard her teacher sound apprehensive. She heard something about a lack of money and that, whatever the conversation was about, would have to be discussed later. Melissa was a little bit uneasy, but she was more intrigued with her art. But then Miss Riley made a phone call to another district art teacher. Melissa felt bad listening, but she could not help hearing the phone call.
“Yes, yes, okay. I will have to see about that.” Melissa heard the art teacher affirm.
Melissa also heard, “Yeah, the superintendent just informed me that he is discussing closing the art program. I completely understand. It is both sad and worrying.”
Melissa couldn't listen any longer. The art program was closing! She couldn't believe what she heard!

On Melissa's peaceful walk home, she pondered the thought of losing the school art program. Through the busy streets of town and into the small neighborhoods, she began to grow anxious and a little bit frightened. What would she do instead of art and where would the art teachers go? Without art, she would have no way to fully express herself. Hopefully, Melissa could make a plan and keep the art program at Doswell Area Middle School.

That night when she was in her art studio at home, Melissa constructed a plan. She would get help from her friends and family to preserve the art program. Melissa would get signatures from people that want to keep the art program and collect donations to buy extra art supplies to show that money would not be an issue. The next day, she would ask the art teacher what was going on for more detailed information. But she would have to worry about that henceforth.

So far, Melissa’s undertaking was doing well. She had found out that the school board desired to close the art program to save money and get rid of unnecessary school activities. None of the art students or teachers were in favor of it, but the superintendent did not give any consideration. The decision would be mainly up to the school board and school principals. Melissa got a few art teachers’ signatures, and she also attained most of her family members' signatures to rescue the school’s art program before it became absent from the students school experience. Melissa had also gotten some money, but it was not enough yet. She had to persuade the school board that people care about art, and they should keep providing supplies. Art matters to many people, and it was up to Melissa to display to the school that closing the art program would not help anything.

“Mom, can we go to a public school board meeting to save the art program?” Melissa asked her mother a few days later. The school board held meetings where the community was invited to tell their opinions. Melissa concluded if she told the school board how she felt, they would consider keeping the art program. It would take a lot of work, though. The school board does not care what one thirteen year old girl wants and would barely even listen to her.
“Honey, are you sure? I’m guessing it is to save the art program, so that is fine with me,” Melissa’s mom replied. She also said, “Just don't get discouraged if the board disregards your opinion. They can be quite headstrong once they consider an option. I have faith in you. It might be difficult, but if this is what you really want, then go for it.”
Before the meeting, Melissa got ready quickly, but not sloppily. She tried to look professional. Maybe if she looked mature, they would take her more seriously. After dressing in a freshly ironed black skirt and light pink blouse, Melissa straightened her wavy auburn hair and put in her pink hearing aids. She inspected herself and decided not to put makeup on her blue eyes and freckled cheeks. She had gotten her bold auburn hair from her Grandma Lily and her sky blue eyes from her father. This was a big event for her, and she could not shatter her hopes of saving her beloved art. To Melissa, the art program was at stake.






































































At the meeting, Melissa informed the school board about herself and why they should not shut down the art program. She told how she had a hearing impairment, was proficient at art, and enjoyed having the privilege of getting to work on an art project every day. It was a very intimidating experience, which was uncommon for such an outgoing girl like Melissa, but she could not stop doing art. Saving the art program was her aim, and she would do anything to reach it. Melissa wished that Holly could have been at the meeting along with her, but Holly had to remain at home and watch the two other Kramer children. Olivia couldn’t come either. Olivia was having trouble at school, so Melissa recommended a tutor. Melissa’s friends were not present, but she stood up and spoke confidently anyway, sweaty palms and all.
The following morning, Melissa felt proud that she had maybe saved the art program, but that only persisted until art class. Miss Riley woefully told her that the superintendent decided that art was not beneficial, and they chose to cease the program. Melissa went home and cried. How would she feel better when the only hobby she loved was being taken away? Melissa could not abandon her mission though. She would get through this obstacle.
“Hello Melissa. How are you doing, dear?” Melissa’s grandma, Lily, questioned.
“I guess I am doing okay, just a bit nervous about the art program situation,” Melissa replied softly, with her head down. A tear dropped down off of her spotted cheek and onto her folded hands in her lap.
Grandma Lily saw Melissa weeping tenderly and said gently, “Oh, sweetie. Don’t cry. You will be able to save the art program and be cheerful again.”
“But, Grandma Lily, no one understands. This has been a challenge for me. Art is my one way to express my feelings that I keep locked up all day. Doing art is something special and unique to me that I don’t want to give up. I am good at art, and I will lose it if I don't work hard enough to save the art program. I don’t want to give up my dream, but I don’t know what else to do. Oh, Grandma, what should I do?” Melissa asked, crying once again.
“Melissa, you will be alright. I know you feel daunted and timid, and I understand. Ever since I moved in with your wonderful family I have seen how determined you are. You should know that your whole family, and especially me, have faith in you and that you can save the art program. Believe in yourself. You can do great things with effort and determination. Don’t give up yet,” Grandma Lily told Melissa calmly.

Melissa said softly, “I am scared, but I won’t give up. Thank you, Grandma, for listening and understanding me. I love you.”
“I love you too, dear,” Grandma Lily answered, hugging Melissa tightly.
With wise advice from her Grandma Lily, Melissa decided to go to a second public school meeting. The people that were there to support her were Holly, Olivia, her family, and seventy-five other community members to exhibit that art is significant to a lot of people. Even her twenty-three year old sister Stephanie had come along to give some sibling support. Melissa collected $1500 and gave it to the superintendent with five full pages of signatures.
“Go save the art program, Mel. You can do it,” Stephanie had said previous to when Melissa went up to convey her message. Melissa had to be confident, and all the family encouragement made sure of that.
“Please do not close the art program. It is the one activity that matters to me. I have become so skilled at art, and I don’t want to give up my dream of becoming a professional artist later in life,” Melissa said. She continued, “Art may not be a big deal to you, but it really matters to me. I do not want to lose the school art program.”

“Alright, I think you have said enough. We will decide later,” the superintendent said sternly.

Melissa went home, but was very uptight and impatient. She got a restless night of sleep, but did not have to fret for long. At school following that day, the art teacher, Miss Riley, made an announcement to her art classes. She told the eager students that the art program was not going to be interrupted and that Melissa Daniels had worked very hard to recover the art program. Miss Riley was very appreciative, and Melissa was proud and satisfied. All of her friends and family were very ecstatic for her. Melissa realized that all the persistent work was definitely worth it. She would not let any other obstacles get in the way of her dreams and goals. Now, if anyone asks for advice, Melissa replies, “I had to work hard to keep up my dream, so you can too. All it really takes is some determination, support, and the desire to reach your goals and achieve your dreams.”


The author's comments:
I initially wrote this story as a class assignment, but I found myself connecting with the main character, Melissa, so I wanted to expand and share this story. I hope it inspires another person when they think there is an obstacle they can't overcome.