A Story of a Lifetime | Teen Ink

A Story of a Lifetime

By SmartTart SILVER, Beth;ehem, Pennsylvania
SmartTart SILVER, Beth;ehem, Pennsylvania

Stand for what you believe in even if it means you stand alone.

I guess the beginning is easy. It’s the part where you smile. It’s the part where everything seems perfect. He walks in and lights up the room with a smile that just makes you want to faint. You are obviously not dumb enough to show him you notice so instead you turn away and make it seem like it doesn’t matter. It continues on and you both enjoy talking to each other. He finally does it! No, not kiss you, but asks you out. Then there’s just a list of first; the first kiss, the first talk, the first fight, etc. There’s hope for the future. Things like always and forever seem reachable.

In a happy story perhaps he proposes. You accept and you wed, but this isn’t a fairytale. Years passed, now you have 2 kids. They are young, 5 and 7.

“Daddy and mommy love each other” they both cheer as they say you together.

Have you ever wonder what happens behind closed doors? He’s changed. He’s out late, always tired, and comes home drunk. And what about you? Well, you have to cover up. Maybe for him, maybe for you but either way you do. At this point you’re strangers in bed. You have enough and approach him. He can’t handle the truth but instead gets really mad and hits you. And yes right here is the hard part.

From this moment on you are on your own. You’re working two jobs. Your children grow and you miss certain first. Ends are not meeting. Your kids are hungry so what can you do? Every night gets harder. The men get worse and no matter how many times you take a shower you cannot help but feel dirty. However, your kids have Iphones, Uggs, Hollister, etc. So you continue to provide your services. Now your kids have become young adults. Teachers always complain about them and you just cannot watch them all the time. The second worse moments of your life? Your baby gets arrested, 15 years in jail without probation. Visits have to be scheduled and orange is not his color. He has lost his innocent in those green eyes. He’s lost the goofy smile. He’s lost the corny humor. And you? Well you lost your baby boy. But you did catch that, right? The second worst moment, because the first, well you might just want to be seated for this. Your older child happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Next thing you know you’re in all black with nothing but a heartache. No husband, no sons, no brother because at the end it’s just you and you alone.

"If you could have your future read out like this would you? Or is it better to continue with the unknown?"

JacobTheOrdinary PLATINUM, Rancho Cucamonga, California

"Fiction is the lie that tells the truth."

I'm not trying to be mean or offensive but I see nothing special about this story. This is not as much as a story as it is a prompt or (dare I say) a skeleton for a more descriptive story with nice meaty juicy descriptors and plot twists. It just sounds like the common-day mistake. The way you don't want to live.