A Christmas Story | Teen Ink

A Christmas Story

By xDarithz SILVER, Lowell, Massachusetts
xDarithz SILVER, Lowell, Massachusetts

To be completely candid, I didn't know for sure what was going to happen to me. The dense undergrowth of tawny maze besieged me, and I saw no possible way out. I couldn't suppress the rage I had for my brothers---their ludicrous scheme had driven me into this mess and caused the fiery distension upon my face. Or was it my decision to be intertwined in such complexity? Perhaps I was too discontented with my own life, and was in desperate need for action. But I couldn't put my finger on the truth behind this muddle. I turned my attention to gaze straight ahead, hoping that a trail would appear for some miracle. There was
nothing, but the never-ending maze of overgrown bushes. Below them lay a sheer blanket of snow that had just arrived but had ceased so swiftly as if such occurrence never happened.

I couldn't look in the same direction, for I feared that the nothingness would stimulate the adrenaline hidden deep within me. Therefore, I gazed up to the sky, and stars dotted everywhere. I was starstruck because I didn't expect there to be that many stars, let alone one star in the wintry sky. I felt an avalanche of relief flooded over me, followed by the cool breeze brushing against my face. At least I had the light of the shimmering stars to guide me out of this misery. At least a tinge of redness had lessened. And then I heard the soothing sound that I'd never experienced before in my life---silence. Yes, heard it, as in hearing the simultaneous whisper of the zephyr and bugs, accompanied by the rustle of field mice scavenging. As I enjoyed the sound of the night, I took another gaze at the glistening sky. This time I caught sight of the brightest star in the sky---the North Star. What a marvelous star! And how wondrous it was to appear now. I could find my way back to camp now. I had the North Star to point me in the right direction. After intense scraping and exhaustion, I made it out from the maze. I could faintly hear the sound of Sam and Aaron calling for me.

"Katie." There was a long pause. "Katieeeeee."

Finally I broke out from the bushes, dusting off the dirt on my jeans. I quickly rearranged my hair and approached with my arms wide open. I embraced them, so tightly that they could barely respire.

"Okay, okay," coughed Sam. "You hug me any tighter, you'll suffocate me."

Aaron glowered at Sam. "She's been lost, Sam. At least welcome her without complaints."

I didn't like the direction this reunion was going. I swiftly released them from my grasp and put my hands between their arms. "Let's go. I can't believe you guys are still bickering." We trod back to the campfire circle a mile away. They strode easily as I stumbled to keep up. They sniggered here and there, and I couldn't help but laugh along.

Although I regretted being there in the first place, I was thankful for my absurd brothers, who had given me the piece of blueberry pie---the one I was madly allergic to. And I was grateful to spend Christmas there, even though it meant staying in the Canadian wilderness for an entire week. Despite the cold, I enjoyed every minute as I listened to the sound of nature and the velvet whisper of the winds. And more importantly, spending Christmas with those I love the most---my family.

xemmax123 said...
worthy of publication!! it's short, but to the point; CONCISE!

katyy21 said...
Loved it! Write more plx.

annetheman said...
bravo!

It was an interesting piece. I was little surprised by the turn of the story, u know, the Christmas theme...I guess that's why the title is what it is.

Wow, I really like this story. The suspense and iagery was really well-established from beginning to end.