The Only One Who Stayed | Teen Ink

The Only One Who Stayed

By Listenntomusiceveryday PLATINUM, Cypress, Texas
Listenntomusiceveryday PLATINUM, Cypress, Texas

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields, and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender."
-Winston Churchill

My brother's name was Hills Cameron. He didn't have a proper funeral, he didn't deserve a proper funeral. I was there when he died. I was the one who carried his body out of the building. I dragged him, him ankles hitting the ground, again and again, I hadn't been wearing shoes so I'd taken his and pulled them off. They were too big for me, I remember. After I set his dead body on the pavement - right next to my sister's - I looked down at my bloodstained hands and the blood seeping through Hills' shirt. I put my hands to my face, only later would I wash the blood away, I weep. This does little but harden the blood and make me feel muderous.

I didn't murder them. I know this is true. If it is the one thought I will ever have, it's okay because I know I am not a murderer. I didn't know who to call. But I sat and waited. I don't remember what for, probably for lightning to strike me down. My sister had the funeral she deserved. Hills' body was left there, on the pavement - for somebody else who didn't know his story. I came back to spot. I carried his body to the graveyard. I buried him, one shovelful of a dirt at a time.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done. It will be the hardest thing I will ever have to do. The reason being that thoughts kept coming back to me, Did I murder him? He would have deserved it. Hills was despicable. Amazingly so. I did murder him. No I didn't. Shut up.

It wasn't much of a redemtion. It didn't work. I'm still unsure. I never will know for sure. If I killed them or not. I guess that's what they'll label me - unure. Forever and always I'll be unsure.

This is an excert from an epilogue I wrote. I hope you really understand the pain the main character is feeling.

This is a good story. The feeling of suspense keeps the reader interested. The only thing I can think to change would be to possibly explain what happened a bit more, and set the pacing a bit more, because you start off with thissense of utter confusin and it seems to speed up around the time where you begin talking about the building, and then slow down a lot near the end. So, a bit of a better pace setting and more detail is all this needs to be a good touch up. 

-Winston Churchill

please give me advice  

-Winston Churchill

give me advice i mean

-Winston Churchill

please please

-Winston Churchill

Please comment and give me advice. Thanks.