Stand up for Yourself | Teen Ink

Stand up for Yourself

November 7, 2014
By k.m.strueb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
k.m.strueb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Melissa exchanged a math book in her locker for the chemistry book in her bag. The day seemed to be taking so long, and Melissa just wanted to get home. The new edition to her collection of comic books came today. She had worn her t-shirt the the Flash symbol on it for just this reason.


As Melissa looked up, she sighed and thought, here we go again. Two skinny girls walked towards her. They giggled as they talked in hushed tones. Melissa knew that the names Colette and Rita would always have a bad connotation because of what these two had done.


Rita was bad enough; the red bangs that hung around her face failed to conceal the disgusted looks she threw towards anyone less popular than her. But Colette was even worse. She was taller and more menacing. Her words were like poison and her laugh echoed like a hyena's.


Melissa just didn't understand. Why did these girls get to be pretty? Why were they the skinny ones? What makes them so popular? They certainly didn't deserve it.


Colette and Rita were now in ear-shot. They stopped and huddled closer together. Melissa caught bits of what they said, though she tried to block it out. Words like loser, nerd, and ugly rang through her ears.
Melissa closed her locker and hung her backpack on one shoulder. She tried to make her escape, but Colette and Rita noticed. So, they decided to move in on Melissa. It was like something out of National Geographic. Colette and Rita were the predators, and Melissa--the prey.
"Why would you wear that?" Colette began.
Rita's voice surprised Melissa from behind. "Yeah, it's so ugly."
"And it makes you look fat," Colette added, causing Rita to snort.
The verbal abuse continued until Melissa was backed up against her locker. The two girls turned around and snickered as they left.
Melissa let her back slide against her locker as she sunk to the floor. Tears filled her eyes, yet she did not cry. The abuse was usual, and Melissa couldn't get used to it. 
The next day Melissa rolled her eyes when again she could see Colette and Rita coming down the hall.
"How come whenever I see you you're alone?" Colette called out to Melissa. Rather than respond, Melissa pretended not to notice.
"Maybe she didn't hear," Rita said and the girls snickered. They moved in and Rita continued, "Don't you have any friends?"
"Not likely!" Colette shouted. "I mean look at her." Colette grabbed a lock of Melissa's hair and gagged as Rita laughed.
Melissa tried to push Colette's hand away as a door behind them swung open.
"Good afternoon, ladies. How are we doing today?" said Mrs. Heffer. She was the science teacher that always had her hair in a tight bun.


Colette smiled and placed her arm around Melissa's shoulder. Melissa flinched but Colette continued to say, "We're doing great, Mrs. H. How are you?"


"I'm fine," she said with a small grin. Mrs. Heffer ducked back into her room and let the door close.
"Later, loser," Rita muttered as the girls walked away. Melissa was tired of the verbal abuse, and she just hoped that they would skip the routine tomorrow.


Unfortunately, the next day Melissa found herself accompanied by Colette and Rita in the hallway. Once again, they would not stop teasing Melissa.


The girls whispered their insults at Melissa today. Melissa could tell they were getting meaner than usual that day.


Melissa tried to block them out but it was hard. Then one thing stood out to her.


"You should just kill yourself," Colette sneered.


These words rang through Melissa's ears. Tears ran to fill her eyes. She felt more mad at these girls than she had ever felt before.


"What have I ever done to you?" Melissa shouted.


Colette and Rita were taken aback.


Colette remained speechless, but Rita recovered. "Oh look, it talks back," she said.


"I am so done taking your abuse," Melissa said. She kept her shoulders tall and maintained eye contact with the bullies. Melissa felt empowered; she finally stood up to her tormentors.


"Whatever," Colette mumbled. She tugged on Rita’s arm and they made a quick exit.


Melissa sighed. She felt a load lift off of her shoulders and smiled. Melissa felt a tear slide down her cheek as she thought that Colette and Rita may never bother her again. All she had needed was some courage.


“Are you alright?” Mrs. Heffer asked.


Melissa smiled. “I’m amazing.”