Brave Face | Teen Ink

Brave Face

By erincapodanno BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
erincapodanno BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

One more day until Friday. Emma Accentus arrived at the front doors of the school, ducked under an umbrella as rain thudded around her. The bus thundered away and she stepped inside, where it was warm and bright. She shook her head to get the rain out of her hair. Her white dress flowed around her knees, and she stomped her rainboots so as not to leave a mess.

A figure in a black sweatshirt came running at her. “Hey! Have you started studying for finals?” he asked, still preoccupied with the phone in his hand. It was Emma’s friend. “I’m starting review tonight” she cheerfully replied. Aren’t finals four weeks away? “I’d be happy to go over the study guide with you if you need help.” He glanced up and smiled at her, but before either could say more the first bell dinged and they split off in different directions.

Emma slipped into her seat just as math teacher began his lesson. She tried over and over again, but her brain couldn’t work through the problems. The kids around her asked her questions and she answered them the best she could, still hoping to be helpful. It’s one little topic - you can handle this. By the end of class, however, she was still confused, and frustrated. The bell rang and she stood, heading towards the teacher. “Is there any way I can go over what we learned today with you?”

“Sure thing. See me after school. I know you’ll pick it up quickly” he replied over his shoulder as he grabbed a pen and finished grading a paper. She left to the sound of rain pattering harshly against the window’s glass.
Another class, spanish, this one making more sense. “How’s everyone’s day going so far?” the teacher questioned and Emma smiled broadly at him. Thank goodness, a break. She worked diligently through class, stopping only to glance at the window and the non-stop tapping of water against it. The teacher began passing out the homework and discussing the plans for the following day just as the bell buzzed. Emma took her homework and carefully set it aside in her bag before rushing off to her next class.

At lunch Emma saw her coach in line, “volleyball” plastered proudly in dark gray on the front of the her jacket. “Hey!” her coach exclaimed, “Ready for the big game tomorrow?”

“I’m so excited! I cannot wait!” she replied enthusiastically. The tapping on the windows suddenly turned violent, as if massive pieces of hail were being hurtled at the school. After pausing to glance out the window, the coach turned back to Emma.

“That’s great! Our team is counting on you. You’re an exceptional leader,” she complimented while paying the cashier.

“That’s so kind, thank you. Our whole team works so well together,” she returned. Wow, I can’t believe she said that. The bell chimed and Emma darted off.

In her next class, she gazed out the window at the road being pounded by the downpour. She was reluctant to stop daydreaming and join the class. Eventually, however, she turned her attention back to the board and the project being assigned. The class soon ended with the buzz of the bell. It was barely audible over the slamming of the washout beyond the glass. She grinned at her teacher as she passed by on her way out. “I know your project is going to turn out great!” he exclaimed enthusiastically towards her.
“I sure hope so,” she replied lightly. I really do hope so.

The day was then over. As all the students walked outside they discovered what once was a light drizzle had transformed into a violent storm, the type of storm not usually associated with this part of the country. Trees swayed from the tops 50 feet up to the roots. Emma sprinted through monstrous pools of water to the bus. The windows were foggy, and she drew smiley faces with her finger. She traced one upside down, then frowned realizing it might look like a sad face to the people driving by. She swiped at it with her sleeve and exhaled on it until it was fogged over. Then she covered that spot with another grinning face.

As Emma hopped off the bus she waved to the driver, shouting “Have a great day!” The bus driver returned her unwavering smile before pulling away. She tore down the sidewalk, umbrella flailing behind her, head tilted upward, taking in the rain smashing on her forehead.

Emma lept up the porch steps with seeming ease, though inside her muscles screamed at her after the five-block sprint she had just finished. She walked in the door and tossed her bags lightly onto the bench. Forgetting to turn off the alarm when she walked in, she had set off the incessant, head-pounding ringing of the motion sensor in the doorway, but barely heard.

Emma promptly collapsed to the floor, finally releasing the panicked feeling in her stomach. Her throat caught, and then she was sobbing. She saw herself in school the next day, as her teachers, coaches, friends, and family swim before her eyes, watching her drown.

AGirlOnAJourney BRONZE, Meriden, Connecticut

Be the change you wish to see in the world -Mohandas K. Gandhi

Wow it's crazy, I feel like you wrote the article about me. This is exactly how I feel..right down to the volleyball part.