Inspiration | Teen Ink

Inspiration

January 22, 2015
By alleykat BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
alleykat BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
3 articles 3 photos 4 comments

Five a.m., time to roll out of bed and go for my run. Every day for the last five years, I have done a mile a morning. My days always start out the same. Wake up, indulge myself in a bowl chocolate covered strawberries (good breakfast right?), and run. No matter what the weather is : rain, snow, or blistering heat. So you’re probably wondering why I would just start running every morning. Five years ago a friend of mine was in a bad accident. He fell from a roof that was two stories high and was paralyzed from the waist down but only in one half of his body. Ever since the accident, he said the one thing he misses is running marathons. He came to me and he said “I’m going to do it, I am getting back into marathons.” In my head, I was pondering ways he would be able to continue. He said, “listen Missy I don’t care if I come in last place or if I have to stop and take 400 breaks. I am going to do it. I am going to use my crutches and do this.” “Well alright David, if that’s what you really want to do, then I am here to back you up.” He signed up for the blueberry race and in three weeks after that he would be doing the color run. I couldn’t believe he wanted to do two races back to back, but I was there for him. As the weeks passed by, the race was finally a day away from us. David called me at 11 p.m. that night and told me he wasn’t sure anymore if he wanted to do it. I reassured him that he could do it and I went back to sleep.
Finally it’s race day! I went and picked up David at 8 a.m. and we went to sign in. The horn blasted and they were off. He went and was through the crowd. Now he was in 10th place. Altogether in his division, there were 27 people. The race was only a mile long but I thought that it would feel more like 10 miles to David. I sprinted to the finish line to be there and see who would win, and I couldn’t believe it! When they called out that Mr. David Davis had won the race, I was overjoyed with emotions. From that day on I was inspired to run every day no matter what the weather is. To me, running in weather conditions is nothing. I can do anything that I put my mind to. David still continues to do marathons and he’s started thinking and training to see if he really would be able to do Triathlons. This man was my inspiration. He made it so I was able to find the inspiration to wake up early every day and run. I never have bad days anymore because I know that everything is possible.