The Bully | Teen Ink

The Bully

March 13, 2015
By Anonymous

The Bully

I can’t believe he did it. This is going to embarrass me forever. To understand the agony I’m going through, we should start at the beginning. My name’s Ryan. I’m about average height for an 8th grader. I’m pretty scrawny and have really white skin. My hair is jet black and I wear glasses about a mile thick.  Malachi was my best friend. He is a little bit taller than me, so about 5’ 10’’. He has light brown wavy hair that’s pretty long. His eyes are a light blue color, sort of like a wolves. All the girls in our grade think he’s super hot or whatever. We did everything together and had a great friendship. We met each other in the first grade and sort of just clicked and we’ve been best friends ever since then. I never thought this would change because we were so close. Then one day we were at the store. We were in the candy isle just looking at everything. Malachi had recently started hanging out with some older kids from time to time. I had met them all and I didn’t like them. That group seemed like a bad influence. Then when he thought I wasn’t looking, I saw Malachi slip a candy bar into his pocket. I didn’t say anything until we were out of the store. I told him that’s not cool and he shouldn’t be doing that. He said to just chill out it wasn’t hurting anyone. I decided, even though it was morally wrong, to just drop it. Then I asked Malachi if he wanted to hang out, just like I do everyday. Usually at this point he says yes and we head over to my house. This time was different. “Um, actually I think I’m gonna go hang out with the guys. You can come if you want,” he said. I told him I thought I’d just head home. We parted ways and I didn’t go home. I just took a long walk and thought about how much Malachi has changed since he started hanging out with those kids. I felt like I was losing my best friend. When I got home my mom started investigating me. She threw question after question at me. Finally I interrupted her and told her to calm down. I asked her what this was all about. Her answer horrified me. “Malachi and some other boys were arrested an hour ago,” she said. I was stunned. Malachi was not the type of kid who would usually act like this.
I was kind of surprised to see him at school the next day. I told him I heard about what happened. I asked him what he did. He replied with a casual wave of the hand in my direction. Then he said he was busy and just sort of wandered off.  He was like this the rest of the day too, sort of detached and out of it. At lunch he sat with his new friends and didn’t even acknowledge me. He was being really inconsiderate and mean and I didn’t know why. I was really getting worried about my friend, he seemed like he was going down a bad road. I wanted to help him but I didn’t know how.
One day, about a week or so later after Malachi stopped talking to me completely, I saw a post on his Facebook page. It was a picture of him with some type of cigarette or joint in his mouth. I commented saying you better be careful with that stuff it’s dangerous. About an hour or so later I received a message from him. When I opened it I was surprised to see a cruel message displayed across the screen. It said, Shut the f**k up and never talk to me again you little loser. I was so devastated by this. I honestly didn’t know what to do. One day me and him are best friends and now he’s sending me hate messages. I really didn't know what to do in this situation. I decided I would just ignore the message and stop talking to Malachi. It was sad but seemed like the only solution to my problem.
The next day at school Malachi was different. Usually he just ignores me but today he was actually trying to be mean to me. He made snide comments and was just a jerk all around. I didn’t know what to do. The mean messages kept on coming and no matter what I said he wouldn’t stop. I was really starting to feel down on myself and everything I did. Nobody would sit with me at lunch because now Malachi was posting all these embarrassing videos that we filmed a few years ago when we were actually friends. He was making everybody at the school  think that I'm a loser.
Eventually I got very fed up with all this bullying. I decided I wouldn’t stand for this anymore. Malachi was being a bully and I was gonna do something about it. I thought at first maybe I should tell my mom. Then I thought that would probably just make it worse. I finally just decided that I would confront him on it tomorrow.
The next day I saw him in the halls. He tried to storm away but I grabbed his arm so he couldn’t. I asked what his problem is. I told him he was being a jerk and to stop bullying me. He just gave me a strange look and said, “I can’t believe I used to think you were cool.”  That was it.   I had had enough of his attitude. I called him an asshole and shoved him. He shoved back and I thought we were going to fight. So did a couple other kids around us. “After school. You and me.” I was scared because not only was this my first fight, but it was also against my best friend. I knew this would not solve anything. I knew it but I was really mad so I didn’t care anyways. All day all I could think about is how Malachi had humiliated and picked on me. I kept building anger the whole entire day. Now most kids probably expected Malachi to beat the crap out of me but they had another thing coming. I was known to have anger fits in the past and this was no exemption. Quite honestly, I expected Malachi to win myself, but I was going down swinging.
After school I met Malachi in a vast field near our school. There was a small collection of kids who had picked up on the fight and wanted to see. All of Malachai’s new friends were there too. That only made me more angry. When I saw Malachi walk up with that smug look on his face I lost it. A blinding white rage fell upon me at that moment. I couldn’t restrain myself. I ran up to Malachi and punched him straight in the eye as hard as I could. It felt really good but I knew it was wrong. I also didn’t care because another punch was delivered right after the first. I saw his face and he looked terrified. I punched him in the stomach and he sputtered and gasped for air. I couldn’t stop myself. I came at Malachi with everything I had. Punch after punch landing on his face. There was a stream of blood pouring from his nose. There were tears in his frightened eyes. Smudged dirt on his face made him look so helpless and innocent. Everyone around me was silent. As I watched myself go all out on Malachi I felt like a monster. It was so deathly silent you could clearly hear the skin collide with the bones in Malachai’s face. Every punch more deafening that the last. Worst part was, as I felt my fist pummel my old friend I really enjoyed it. I thought he deserved it for how mean he had been. The worst part came next. After I was about to finish up on Malachi’s mangled face, I felt someone grab my arms from behind. I was yanked up off of Malachi. Malachi’s friends was my first thought. The next thing I knew I was grasping for any little breath I could get. Then instant pain as I felt a fist to my lower jaw. I tried to break free but they had me held tightly. Then Malachi got up. They held me solidly in spot while Malachi got his revenge. Then they all swarmed around me for a minute. I couldn’t help what happened next. I was crying and just wanted to be free of this death trap. I didn’t know what to do as a got thrown and kicked about the circle of people. I was scared and confused and hurt and I just accidentally peed my pants. Unfortunately for me, the whole thing was caught on film.
The next day me and Malachi came to school with matching bruises. Both of our faces were red, blue, purple, and yellow. Swollen and twisted noses with banged up foreheads and cuts on our lips. Malachi saw me in the hall and gave me the dirtiest look I’d ever seen. I felt horrible about what I’d done. My mom had had a fit when she saw me that night. She tried to pry the story from me but I wouldn’t budge. I was so glad when at last the day was done and I was finally resting at home. My Facebook then went nuts all of a sudden. This brings us back to my thoughts at the very beginning of this story. I was humiliated to see that Malachi had uploaded that video of me getting beat up on to Facebook. That was the last straw. I wasn’t going to be bullied by Malachi anymore and clearly fighting was not the answer.
I went into school the next day with a porpoise. I went straight to the principals office and told her everything that had happened. She called in Malachi and we all sat there for hours upon hours trying to figure this out. At last, although me and Malachi would never be friends again, to call a truce and stop the fighting. Also me and Malachi were suspended for a week.
I was glad this whole thing with him was done at last. I thought I wouldn’t have to worry about kids being mean to me now. I thought I was trouble free but I was dead wrong. I didn’t realize that even though me and Malachi were no longer fighting, he couldn’t take back what he’d done. Those videos were still all over the place. I started getting many messages from many people. Most of them extremely mean and cruel. A lot of these people I didn’t even know. It was absolutely awful. Every time I looked at my electronics there were hundreds of new messages, or so it seemed. I started to actually believe what these people were saying. You’re useless. Nobody cares about you. You’re just a lonely loser. I felt horrible about myself. I tried to block everyone but somebody new came along every day. I felt horrible about myself all the time now. When I returned to school I was ridiculed by everybody. I had lost all of my friends and I was all alone. Me and Malachi never talked anymore. I started to dread getting up in the morning. Sometimes I just didn’t get up. I really just stopped caring about everything. I was just blindly going through the motions of life. I was never happy. I felt trapped in a pit of loneliness and hatred. There was nothing in the world but darkness. I looked at everything differently. The torture from the kids at school was relentless.
One day I just stopped seeing the point of living. Nobody cared about me. Even my own mother didn’t care to ask what was wrong with me. I came up upon a big overhanging cliff and this is where I reside as I write this. All I thought of now was darkness and sadness.  That’s all I can even think of as I write this. I look over the cliff and just think of the bliss that would come of falling off. No more mean people to make me feel terrible. No more feelings for the same reason. I can’t help but think of  plunging into the dark abyss and just simply ending all the pain and suffering.
        
  This story was found at the top of the cliff. No body was found