New Friends New Chapter | Teen Ink

New Friends New Chapter

By Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina
Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"We are always feeling every emotion, but only a few are screaming."

I feel the bell ringing through my spine as I enter Rosedale School for Girls. I am not thrilled to be going here but it’s probably for the best. I can’t live with my mom, especially since my dad died  a year ago. We tried, but we didn’t get along when he was alive and then add depression to that and it equals disaster, so thats why I’m off to boarding school. I enter the big thick doors and am greeted to all these screaming girls their voices echoing. They don’t have to wear uniforms here but they are probably not going to like the headphones wrapped around my ears and ripped tights on the knee but hopefully they will wait until my second day to tell me. Wow, everyone is super preppy here aren't they? So much pink, sparkles and glitter - it’s not me at all, but I try not to judge anyone. Everyone has their own style. I’m just standing there, like an idiot when this girl comes up to me and says with a big smile, “Hi How are you? I’m great, so are you new? I remember when I was new. My name is Autumn, which is really ironic because I hate the fall. It’s so boring. So whats your name?”

“Wow, thats cool how you said that all in one breath,” I say laughing a little. She starts laughing so hard she almost falls.

“And my name is Jessica”.

“Oh,  what a pretty name. So you like music?”

“Oh yeah, I love it. We are aloud to have headphones here, right?”

She looks at me and purses her lips to the side.“Well, not in class but in your room, yes”.

I sigh “Well, it’s better the nothing, right?” She nods, smiling.

I smile back. I can tell by her pink polka dot dress that we are not very similar, but she seems really nice and cool. I am lost in my thoughts when I realize a force pulling my arm. I look over to Autumn. She seems like she has been trying to get my attention for a while. She looks at me blankly.

“Come on!”

“What do you mean? I just got here.”

“H-E-L-L-O I mean come on.”

We get outside and I am very confused. We walk for a while until we get to a coffee shop.”

“Um, why are we here?”

“My brother works here. You guys should meet.”

“Why couldn’t you have introduced me to your friends at the school?”

“Because I have none”. She says cheerfully pulling my arm in to the coffee shop.

“Jake meet Jessica and Jessica this is Jake.”

The three of us became the best of friends we did everything together. Autumn and I would sneak out of school sometimes to go to movies and road trips. It was a blast. Do not worry, though, I kept up with my school work, too. They convinced me to get back in touch with my mom so I’ve started calling her. My life totally turned around and I actually like pink now, believe it or not. I would do anything for Autumn and Jake. I was so happy until the day I wasn’t. Autumn and I were taking a walk when we saw this object in the woods. We rushed over to see what it was. It turns out we knew who it was. He just wasn’t alive any more.