On the Bus | Teen Ink

On the Bus

By JacobTheOrdinary PLATINUM, Rancho Cucamonga, California
JacobTheOrdinary PLATINUM, Rancho Cucamonga, California

"Fiction is the lie that tells the truth."

“Okay. Okay. That was good.”
“I know. Thank you.”
“Alright. My turn. Who’s next?”
“Um… her.”
“Okay. Give me a second.”
“Go ahead. Take your time. It’s not like we’re getting off soon.”
“Alright. Her name is Sasha Fierce. She an Australian secret agent who was on a mission to take over south Asia. One day, on a recon mission, she ran into a Malaysian agent who was supposed to kill her but when the man saw her, they fell in love. They ran away together to New Zealand and started a family. One day while her husband was at work and her son was at school, her house was bombarded by Australian agents who sought to kill her for her treason. Now she’s here. On the run again. She had to leave everything behind to save everyone she loved.”
“Lame.”
“What? Too sappy?”
“Yes. Far too much sap.”
“Alright. You do better with… him.”
“His name is George. Nobody knows his last name because nobody cares. George is friends with the bus driver. George knows all sorts of things about the bus driver but the bus driver only knows George’s name. George hasn’t paid for a ride as long as anyone can remember but he’s going nowhere so people permit it. It’s rumored that he lost everything in a fire that was set by his ex-wife. The love of his life and the mother of his twins was in the house during the fire and couldn’t get out. He became a drunkard after the loss and gave up his twins for adoption because he knew he couldn’t raise them. They reminded him too much of her. George blamed himself for all of it. One day, George got on the bus to take it to the bridge so he could jump. To this day, he still doesn’t have the nerve to jump, or even get off the bus; he has determined, though, that this must be his destiny. One day, he must jump. Until then, it’s still his fault.”
“That’s horrible. It’s genius. You should write a novel.”
“It would be more of a hobby.”
“Well, this is my stop. Same time next week?”
“Sure,” said George.

Who really are those strangers that you pass by?