Gone... Forever | Teen Ink

Gone... Forever

I was dreaming.
I’ve got to be dreaming.
Somehow, I was heading towards the hospital. The nurses led us to a blinding, lighted room, numbered G-24. A tiny figure lay there as still as a rock. There it was where a little girl who was attached to an unending bundle of tubes full of orange and green liquids. Her poor little face was deep asleep, her eyes wet, her face pale. On her wrist held a heartbeat tracker linked to a screen with almost solid, green lines. Seeing her like that transitioned to a flashback. The time when she came home after mother gave birth, the time she learned how to run, even the time she was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. It all came back like a waterfall.
And then I look closely, her dark brown hair, her pale, freckled cheeks, her full, rosy lips. It all seemed so familiar. It was because that was Jenna. That was my little sister.
But it wasn’t a dream. I pinched myself until I started to bleed. I cry, not because of my bleeding skin, it was because of my bleeding heart. Never would I believe that the little girl laying on the white sheets of the hospital bed was my sister, but my sister wasn’t sitting by my side wailing at the hospital nurses to help this little child. I hear a sniffle behind my shoulder, and a lanky hand pats my head. I abruptly turn my head, hoping to see little Jenna. The little, adorable sister who was always by my side. Instead, I see my mother and father beam down onto my puffy eyes. I sat up and ran out of my chair, I ran until my heart hurt. Until my limbs fell off my legs. I sat on the side of the road, praying for my sister, hoping that someone or just something would bring some color and life, back into her tiny, little body.
Hoping to see results, I sprint around the corner, run up the everlasting stairs, and slam the door open. I saw a mob of doctors, pat my awfully, heartbroken, crying parents. And then I look up to Jenna’s heart tracker.
My body falls.
I scream.

The green lines, the gruesome, green lines, were straight. She was gone, to a new universe, one to far from my reach.