Where's My Tooth Fairy? | Teen Ink

Where's My Tooth Fairy?

November 18, 2015
By jarfly BRONZE, Cupertino, California
jarfly BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dressed up just like a fairy, Kaitlyn was playing with her favorite fairy dolls in her room. It was spring. The air was damp, the sun was shining, and her favorite red and yellow tulips were blooming on the side of her house. A light, warm breeze was blowing. The wind chimes in her backyard were playing a soft, ringing melody. This six-and-a-half year old girl lived in a suburb of Chicago with her mom, dad, and older sister. She was a generally happy girl who always had a fascination with fairies, and dreamed of meeting one someday, especially the tooth fairy. The tooth fairy was just a myth to her bossy older sister, Ruth, but to Kaitlyn, she was definitely real. She even had proof that the tooth fairy did exist because she had gotten a dollar from her when she lost her first baby tooth.
One day, Kaitlyn’s second baby tooth was starting to get a little wiggly. She had to be very careful of what she ate since it would hurt whenever she bit into something hard. But she didn’t really care, because she was so excited that soon, the tooth fairy would come to collect her tooth and slip a dollar under her pillow.
2-3 weeks later, Kaitlyn was enjoying her dinosaur oatmeal for breakfast. She loved how the small dinosaur eggs turned into sugary little dinosaurs in the milk. She looked out the window to her backyard and saw what a lovely day it was. A little brown bunny hopped across the lush, green grass. “What a cute little bunny rabbit!” Kaitlyn exclaimed. She noticed that her potted cherry tomatoes were ripe. They had turned a bright red and looked full and plump. She also saw that her mint leaves were green and blooming wildly across the planting bed. Kaitlyn was thinking of going out and harvesting the crops when all of a sudden, her shaky little baby tooth started to get very wiggly. She moved it around with her fingers until it fell right onto her hand. “Hurray!” she thought. Tonight was her opportunity to meet the tooth fairy.
  Much later that day, she wrapped her tiny little tooth in a piece of tissue paper, before securing it under her pillow. She settled in her bunk bed under her sister, Ruth, who was by now, fast asleep. Kaitlyn anxiously awaited the tooth fairy, thinking of how she would look. “Will she be tall or small?” she thought, “Have large wings or tiny little wings?”. She was so thrilled to finally see her and her glittery, magical wand.
Sometime later, Kaitlyn glanced over at the clock on her piano bench. It was getting very late, and she was getting very sleepy. She could hear the wind whistling outside, and a tree delicately tapping on her window. A cricket was singing a night song in the distance. Even though Kaitlyn really needed to sleep, she was determined to meet the tooth fairy. She just had to know what she would be like. “Why is the tooth fairy taking so long?” Kaitlyn wondered. “Maybe she just hit some air traffic while flying over.”
She was suddenly awoken by her creaky door. A small slit of light fell on her face. She quickly half-closed her eyes and stayed absolutely still, hoping that would be the tooth fairy. Kaitlyn didn’t realize that she had actually fallen asleep even after trying so hard not to do so. A dark figure entered her room. She tried widening her eyes in order to see a bit better, but it was still too dark for her to make out any wings or glittery wand or shiny little bag to collect her tooth. She could tell that it was a very tall figure. As soon as she could see more clearly, she was very surprised to see...her dad standing there, holding a dollar. She quickly closed her eyes as she felt her pillow slightly lift her head as he took her tooth and gently placed a dollar there under her pillow in its place. Kaitlyn was very confused, but she decided that she would figure this out in the morning when she woke up.
Kaitlyn woke up the next morning and gradually remembered the events of last night and hurriedly brushed her teeth being careful not to hurt the small area on her gum which was now toothless. She marched down the stairs to where her dad was sitting on the sofa with his laptop. She showed him the dollar which he had placed under her pillow the previous night. Since Kailyn was a very smart girl, she could tell that her dad was trying to look surprised even though he really wasn’t. Before he could say anything, she said, ”Did you kidnap the tooth fairy… or tell her not to come?”. He began to protest, just when her older sister slowly walked down the stairs. “You know it wasn’t really the tooth fairy who gave you that dollar.” she said. “ It was daddy.” Her dad gave Ruth a stern look, but Kaitlyn already knew that this was actually true. “Then what happened to the tooth fairy?” Kaitlyn pleaded. Her sister replied with the words she was hoping she wouldn’t say,
”The tooth fairy isn’t real!”. As gullible as Kaitlyn was, she immediately lost hope in the existence of the tooth fairy.


The author's comments:

When I was younger, I always had a facination with fairytales and myths. I decided to write about a very important moment in my life regarding this topic. To me, this is the first step in my journey to becoming a writer.