The Bond Between Siblings | Teen Ink

The Bond Between Siblings

December 14, 2015
By Madraken BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
Madraken BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I often find myself thinking about the bond my sister and I share. Our bond is not one any brother or sister would have. We were both born on the same day in 1998. We have always been close growing up. It was a rarity for us to not know where the other was. As we got older we started to distance ourselves from each other. This distancing was not a bad thing, it was a part of growing up. We started living our own lives separate from each other. Along with this separation came larger disputes that were nothing like the fights we had as kids. Although these fight can become quite big if we were able to overcome them our bond would grow stronger than it was before the fight. This is the story of our biggest fight so far.

The day started off like any other. I woke up went to the bathroom and put in my contact. After, I went  got dressed and got some food from the kitchen my sister came into the room.
“How are you today?” I asked her.
“Don't talk to me,” she responded.
It was not her words that surprised me it was the tone she used. She would typically say that when something was on her mind which was most of the time. But that tone she only used when something was really bothering her.

It was hard to focus in my classes. Throughout the day what she said was bothering me. I was trying to think of all the things that could be bothering her. None would affect her this much. After school, I decided I would probe for answers.
   “How was your day?”.
   “Don't talk to me,”.
My attempt was shut down fast. Just like the drive to school the drive home was quiet.

Over the next three days, I tried to find out what was bothering her. Each attempt ended in the same way. The way she acted and how she would not share what was bothering her was infuriating. On the way to school, I pulled the car over and got right to the point. Seeing where I was going, she insisted we not talk about it. Getting more irritated my voice went to a more serious voice. Detecting the change in my voice she turned hostile. Very soon we started yelling and making exaggerated gestures with our hands. She then gathered her stuff and exited the car and started walking to school. I knew she would not get back in the car and I didn't want her close to me. I left her and drove to school.

Again we drove home in silence. However, this was not like before we were still processing the fight earlier that day. Over the next week, we became less hostile toward each other. We began to have small one word exchanges. Soon those turned into three-word exchanges. After about a week we were back to the way before the fight. We try to not think about it, but we know it happened.

I can't hate my sister forever and she can't hate me forever. The bond we have tied us together whether we want it to or not. Because we know each others body language better than most. We could both tell that we did not want to be mad at each other. The reason that the fight happened was that we loved each other. To this day, I do not know what was bothering her, but I know she is thankful for me caring about her.