Lost Boy | Teen Ink

Lost Boy

February 17, 2016
By Chasing.Chestnut BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Chasing.Chestnut BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Books are the way to reflect on our past while looking into the future.



He breathed in with sharp breaths. The tears were draining out of his eyes as if someone had turned them into a faucet. He was a ghost, a child who was more of a thought than reality. He clung to the seat belt, not wanting to let go for if he did his body would drop into the rushing waters.
The car was filling up with water and no longer did he see his legs for the water had turned red. The icy current flushed at his skin and soon he knew the water would be up past his waist.
Hopeless screams echoed like they do in a public place, hopeless, meaningless. He knew he was half head as his vision came and went. He was bleeding out, stuck in a smashed car, now a casket. His hands pressed against the seatbelt, but it didn’t give. His teeth gritted as his hands pressed against the window that was now letting water in. His breath shortened as water touched his ribs.
He searched for something sharp as the water touched his armpits. Franticly, he rustled through his pants, with the one arm that was not broken, for a pen he knew he had. The water rose to his neck as his hand tapped the pen. He breathed franticly as the water touched his mouth.
His fingers dropped the pen as the boy looked at the water and closed his eyes and it consumed his entire body.
A sense of acceptance for his fate had come. He relaxed, letting the water slowly push his around. His mind relaxed as the cold water slowed and soon he went limp with exhaustion.
As the car tapped the bottom for the shallow lake he opened his eyes. The sunvisor dropped down and slowly as the car became to flip, the sunvisor popped down and into the water floated a small black and white ultrasound from the pocket.
Confused and running out of breath, he watched it rotate to a small message on the back. The ink had run but he could still make out each word.
I hope your bad day in a bad week in a bad month attitude changes after seeing this. I’m sorry I could not tell you this in person.
-Marybeth.
He began getting frantic for air and quickly panicked. He looked around as numerous objects started to float from the back seat and car compartments. He stared at the ultrasound and said a short prayer, eyes closed. When he opened his eyes he looked into the sharp part of a pocket knife.