Lemon's of Life | Teen Ink

Lemon's of Life

April 21, 2016
By mylittlebumblebee BRONZE, Pittsburg, California
mylittlebumblebee BRONZE, Pittsburg, California
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

    The lemonade kissed her pale pink lips in the burning hot summer, as it ran through her sticky chubby fingers. This washed away the pain of her freshly scratched leg. Grandma rubbed her back until her eyes gave up squinting in the sunlight and closed for a nap. Grandma took the slimy sippy cup from her tight little grasp, and picked her up, brought her to her crib, and laid her down gently in her tall crib that her mommy used to sleep in.

     The cuts on her fingers stung from the the juice of the lemon. She bit her lip and used all the weight from her little skinny body to turn the fat lemon in circles to get every last drop out of it. She smiled at Grandma and said "Look what I made for Grandpa!" Grandma smiled and kissed her forehead. Grandma brought over Great Grandma's pretty pitcher, because the little girl wasn't aloud to touch it. Grandma helped her pour in the lemon juice, and some water. She let the little girl scoop in the white cane sugar out of the tan canister Grandma’s had forever. The little girl climbed up the cold counter and grabbed a glass. Grandma poured in the freshly made lemonade and handed it to the cheeky little girl. She grabbed it and ran, as if her life depended on it. Grandpa had just finished mowing, the yard felt like the length of a football field for her short legs. She jumped on him and gave him a hug. She loved to watch him drink her lemonade in the heat of the afternoon. He was sweaty from head to toe but she hugged him anyway.

     She looked stunning in her dress. It was midnight blue and sparkled like the star in the countryside. Her date stood tall and handsome, smiling. She walked down the stairs, a little wobbly from the height of her heels. She gave him a hug and went to get something to drink before she left for her senior prom. She looked in the fridge and saw there was still enough lemonade for one cup. The sweetness of the lemonade calmed her heart, a humming bird in her chest. Her long shaky leg, became a solid stance. She went back out said goodbye to her family, and drove off.

     Her boyfriend left her, her parents hated each other, her whole world was falling apart. She had felt that everything in her life was going so well, until she heard her parents yelling that one night. She felt the vibrations of her phone. She grabbed it, it was Grandma, there was no one else she would rather talk to. All she wanted was someone to tell her it would be okay, but the voice on the other side was sad and not the loving one she was used to. The tears were dancing down her face. Grandpa is gone. She called her friend that dreaded day. Her friend drove her to a small welcoming cafe. She sat down crying, her friend tried calming her down. Then the waiter came up to her smiling with beautiful brown eyes. "What would you like today?" She felt, for just a second, happiness. She flashed her sweetest smile at the waiter and said, "We will have some lemonade".

     The white dress fit perfectly hugging her body tight. The day was bright, the church was empty she sat down crossed her hands over her favorite picture of grandpa and prayed one more time. She was about to marry the man with the beautiful brown eyes. The guest would be coming soon, to come and see her make a promise. She went back to the room with her family and her friends. The room smelled of hairspray and perfume. She twisted her ring around on her left hand, she always did this when she was nervous. Then her mom delivered a note from him. The note said “My love, I know you are very busy right now, but here is a little treat for my future wife to be" she looked up from the note and her mom held out a glass of freshly squeezed, sweet, iced lemonade.

     Before long she had children of her own, a little girl, then a little boy, with the same little chubby smile as her, and big brown eyes like their Dad. They grew older, so did she, but she still never forgot, the amount of problems that could be solved, with a simple glass of lemonade.


The author's comments:

Was an assignment for my english class.