I wanna fly | Teen Ink

I wanna fly

By Theraforever PLATINUM, Dubuque, Iowa
Theraforever PLATINUM, Dubuque, Iowa

And still I rise.

You see,
I wanna fly.
I see you walk like that and boy do you move so beautifully. I see your feet go one in front of the other and it is often marvelous.
I do love the way your body weight shifts from side to side but you see…
I wanna fly.
It’s not that walking is bad at all. It seems quite pleasant and I’m sure it is a lot of work and maybe some days you are so happy you get to walk because it really is such a marvelous thing but you see…
I wanna fly.
And when I say I wanna fly. It may not be the kind you are thinking about. It may not be the kind you saw in the Peter Pan movies we watched in Grandma’s basement back when you were 7 and I was 9. It actually is maybe the kind where your feet feel like those petals that fall around this time and you heart isn;t this huge stone anymore. I wanna fly like the kind of fly that makes someone's eyes shine and twinkle but not like the star kind of twinkle, like the twinkle you see in the eyes of princesses of disney movies. And you see…
I wanna fly.
You are so good at walking and I often wish to compete. Maybe that’s why walking never seemed to appeal to me. And I just want you to know that I do admire your feet brushing the floor. I do admire your determination and chin held like you would be drowning but you told the water no. It’s just, walking isn’t for me. I think you knew that a long time ago and maybe you thought you could get me to walk by showing me how great it can be. But you see…
I wanna fly.
I don’t want to fly into some great big sky and touch the stars and moon. I don’t want spin up so high I could live on, the clouds you and I used to turn into the most wondrous things. I want to fly by dancing on air we are so crazy about. I want to lay on the wind everyone seems to tease and I want comb the whispers that dare seep through people's teeth and lift to the ceilings. But you see…
I wanna fly.
You walk so well child. I know you hate when I tell you that. It really comes from a place you never knew about, a place someone decided to call love. And I hope this doesn’t change things. Well, I do but only in the good kind of way. Because I hope one day you can fly with me, although you say you never will. And you hope one day I will walk with you but darling, I have been walking just too long. I never could catch up. I know you walk so brilliantly. I see you walk and I know. I see and I think to myself how lucky I am to see. I see and I think how I wish that could be me. But you see…
I wanna fly. 

To everyone who told me how I should be living