Green-Grey | Teen Ink

Green-Grey MAG

By Bex24 BRONZE, Toronto, Other
Bex24 BRONZE, Toronto, Other

As you saunter over to tap her on the shoulder, I feel as if I'm watching, in slow motion, a scene I've seen a million times. The eyebrows arched in surprise, the open mouth of recognition, the dazzling smile preceding the laugh – my God, she still doesn't know. No one knows.

Except me.

By the end of the hour, she'll be won over by your undeniable charm. Your looks don't hurt either: ­tousled sandy hair, understanding green-gray eyes, a lopsided smile, and one infuriating dimple in your left cheek when you grin.

She'll give you her number. You'll call the next morning, full of flattery and humorous anecdotes – I always wondered, did you look those up on the ­Internet beforehand? You'll arrange to meet that night, maybe at a posh café or for the newly released blockbuster film. You will laugh and joke and enthrall her once more.

And it will begin.

You will drive her home in your father's rusty red Honda. You will twist the key slowly as you turn off the engine, and you will hint at a next time – will there be one? Of course, she'll assure you, as she places a ­delicate hand on your warm arm, of course there will be.

A beat of silence. Then, in that captivating way that only you know, you will raise those green-gray eyes to hers. Perhaps she will remark how uncannily like the ocean they are. She does this in hopes of your lips on hers. She does not know that it has ­already been scheduled for the next date. There will be no kiss tonight.

You will let her go, leaving her shaking knees to turn to soft pudding. You will drive away, dust trailing behind your wheels. She will unlock her front door and stumble up to her bedroom, unaware of what she has just begun. She does not know yet what is to come.

You will spin your web oh so carefully, and she will begin to truly care. She will often recall your first kiss, that jolting sensation of your mouth brushing past her trembling lips. She will read and re-read the sentimental love letters and poems she keeps in a locked box under her bed. She does not realize her time has almost run out.

Then, one day, you will lead her away for a “talk.” She will be beside herself with stunned, salty tears. You will pat her on the back as you would a dog and walk away, leaving her with so many questions: how and when and why? She will call out for you, but her throat will be congested with fear and regret. She will sit shakily and review your history, trying to identify what she did wrong. She does not realize that she has done nothing but fall prey to your charm.

All this I envision in a tenth of a second: the tears, the memories, the unsaid. As I watch your lips move and your green-gray eyes flash with the thrill of the game, I do not notice her faltering smile and her furrowed brow. Instead, I see your mouth form a small “O” of shock as she collects her belongings and strolls away. As she passes the place where I sit watching, I glimpse the faintest hint of a smile, the corners of her lips upturning slightly in acknowledgment. Before I can react, she is gone.

I glance at you and am pleased to notice a frown disfiguring your pleasant face. Didn't see that one coming, did you? Those green-gray eyes are angry as you catch me watching. I smile in response.

Then I gather my things and, humming, follow the girl out.

Oh, I LOVE this. Excellent revenge piece. :) I've known guys like this, and it's nice to see someone take them down a peg. The second person narration threw me off a little at first, but I understand why you did it and I got really into it by the end.

_emilia_ SILVER, Somers Point, New Jersey

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Oh my gosh! This was great, I wish all the girls had the courage to stand up to players like this. Great job!!!

AlwaysDanceInTheRain SILVER, Sidney, Nebraska

Everything happens for a reason.

This is absolutely amazing writing, but I think my favorite part was how the guy totally gets rejected at the end :) I hate players and it feels good that even in the fictional world, they can get what's coming to them :)

dolphin13 BRONZE, North St. Paul, Minnesota
Luv it! Amazingly well-written. Keep on writing1

Steph0804 said...
Guy gets PWNED. :)

Hover BRONZE said...
Hover BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin

Sophistication isn't what you wear or who you know
Or pushing people down to get you where you wanna go
They didn't teach you that in prep school, so it's up to me,
But no amount of vintage dresses gives you dignity.
~Taylor Swift
*Defy Gravity!*

Love it!!!!!!!!! :D

DoodlezTheScribe BRONZE, Keswick, Other

"Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
— Dorothy Parker

This is extremely well-phrased and professional. I love how smart and insightful it is! =)

smiles24 said...
Wow. This was really amazing, mesmerizing. Keep it the nice work!

Dakota_Lynn said...
Dakota_Lynn, Oxford, Georgia

But that's not the point here.

Very nice. I liked this one a lot.

datrumpeter PLATINUM, Jefferson City, Missouri

'Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. that way, when you insult them, you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.'

I loved it! i would love for that to happen to guys like this more often. great writing, you did amazingly with the suspense.

Crogirl said...
Crogirl, Brezovica, Other
I really liked it, especially the way you started it and the way you kept the end suprising and unexpected. 

christian.e SILVER, Dutch Harbor, Alaska

The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me --Pascal

Lovely :) i liked it

i_am_nobody SILVER, Belgrade, Montana

"Be yourself, don't take anyone's sh*t, and never let them take you alive." -Gerard Way

thats really good. the point of view was wat really tied it over. i love it

kriley8404 BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina

"jesus is love, love is real"

aha i like it!

CaseyLeigh PLATINUM, Moraga, California

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to.

Amazing! A very realistic experience

CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington

"I know why everyone in this world is so desperate to find love."
"Oh yeah? Why then?"
"Because, it's the closest thing we have to magic."

my thoughts exactly.v

musiclover94 GOLD, Springboro, Ohio

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

HOLY COW!!! That was so good! I love how you had it end, I never saw it coming. You are a terrific author, please keep writing!

Chickie BRONZE said...
Chickie BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon

"Nobody puts Baby in the corner."

I loved this! It is so true to life, and the ending was great. :)

lexikeys247 SILVER, Forks, Washington
this was beautiful! you're completely right it does remind me of my poem. i love the story! just like anna said, it makes me proud to be a girl! too many have fallen for that situation. keep up the nice work! =)

Berry BRONZE said...
Berry BRONZE, Honiton, Other
This piece has the sweetest taste of triumph I've ever read! It makes me proud to be a girl. Well done on such a detailed story, it's brought the biggest smile to my face!

xx ps thank you so much for your comment, it made my day a million times over x