Summer of Doom | Teen Ink

Summer of Doom

By Aatyanth BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Aatyanth BRONZE, Cupertino, California

I looked back and I stood there staring at what was in front of me. My heart was beating so fast. It was either I died or stayed alive. At this point, I honestly wanted to run into the house but I couldn’t. Even if I move a centimeter it would result in a snake bite. It felt like the end of the world to me. If you guys wonder how I got myself into this mess, this is how.

It was the last day of school I couldn't wait for the bell to ring. I was a young nerdy looking boy with black eyes sitting in a rectangle shaped classroom eating pizza and stacking on soda from the class party. Suddenly I had a thought of what I will do for the summer. Then I just remembered that I was going to my gram’s for the summer. Just like any ordinary child I love going to my grandparents' house. I would usually go there for a month or so during summer, which I would be very happy about. But this time I was going for the whole summer, so I was extra happy. My grandparents bought me anything I wanted. The problem was my parents, they wouldn’t let me eat a few things like chips, noodles etc. Anyways I was done with my work so I was reading a book. Then I heard a deep voice, it was my headmistress. She was a tall lady with a boy cut wearing a plain blue gown, which actually looked too big for her. She was congratulating everyone for having a  wonderful year and all that stuff. After she left I continued reading my book. Well, to be fair I was reading even when she was talking. Then suddenly everyone started counting down from 60. I realized as soon as they started counting, it was the last minute of the school year. I got ready to run out of school and towards my car. That one minute took forever. Then there was a loud Tring Tring Tring and I was off to my car. I was so happy. Once I got home I threw my backpack in my room closet and locked the closet. I ran down, turned on my television and started watching my favorite tv show. After an hour or so my doorbell rang. It was my neighbor with a petrified look. I wondered why she had that look. I opened the door and she just stood there like a statue, staring at something behind. I looked back and I was surprised too. Well at first I wanted to run into the house then I realized that snakes sense vibration. I just stood there staring right at the snake’s eye. The sad thing is since the snake was focused on me, the neighbor ran back to her house. It was just me face to face with a 3-foot spectacled cobra. The good thing is I didn’t die.

It was the third day of summer, 2 days after I was face to face with a 3-foot spectacled cobra. I was sitting in a train waiting to go to the town of Madurai. The train was moving at a steady speed of around 60 mph and I fell asleep. The thing about me is that I always fall asleep when something is moving in a steady pace. When I woke up there were sun rays in the train and it was hot. The train stood at a station and I looked out to see what the station was called. A few feet away from the train was an old rust sign said, “Madurai junction”. Then I realized it was the one that I had to get down at. I quickly took my bag, woke my parents up and rushed out of the train with two really heavy bags along with my parents who were half awake. There I was with my 2 sleepy parents. Wait a second, where was my brother. Suddenly my inner voice spoke out and I yelled, “ Dad!! Rohan is still in the train.” My dad ran back inside the train and searched for my brother but the train started to leave the station. I heard a voice saying calling out for me. It was my brother from a few 100 ft away. I ran up to him and gave a hug. But the problem was not over. My dad was still in the train and it was moving pretty darn fast. I guess it was bad luck for my dad because he had to jump off a moving train.

After my dad got off the train we went to my grandparents' house. It was a huge house with a few stain marks in the front and a little bit of paint coming off. In the front porch was my grandma and grandpa waiting for us. They greeted us and gave us some tea which mom wouldn’t let me drink. It was kind of obvious why she wouldn't let me drink tea, that was because I was only 10 years old. It was around noon that my mom informed me that we were going to the temple. I didn’t really care. I was waiting in front of a grey colored van which had little scratches on the side. As a family, we left to the temple. There I was playing the game of “tag” with my brother. In a millisecond worth of time, I tripped on my long cape-like thing, fell flat on my head and went unconscious. When I woke up, I was sleeping in my grandparents' bedroom. I wondered what had happened. For a second my head felt like I had 100 tons of rocks in my head. A few minutes later I woke up and asked my grandma what happened. She said that I had tripped on my long cape-like thing and fell flat on my head, which instantly knocked me out and gave me a concussion.  A few hours later I was back to normal but there was still a light pain in my head. Once a while my head felt light and there was a quick sting in my head. I really enjoyed rest of the summer!

NSGSP said...
Again and again I am reading ur story.Iam realising that u are keen observer of ur sorroundings,good memories,good imaginatins,
Go on reading books ,reading several times every time u know new new meanings.Donot waste ur time.Keep a book always with u.Books are only ur friends.Keep a hand book and make a notes.It willhelp u to quote anywhere.go on reading,writing.Keep always busy.

Kaushika said...
Love the story my boy!!! You have always been a keen observer and someone with real good memory. Build on this talent and you will go a long way. Wishing you to read more and write more! Wish you become a great author one day!!!!

ZacharyS said...
ZacharyS, Cupertino, California
Gud job AT u du gud bro

NSGSP said...
Very nice.Iam thinking u as a small child but ur grown-up as a writer.Amazing.I remembered u from the chilhood as a story teller.we all wondered about ur imagination.Keep on writing Aatyanth.

Venkeer said...
Aathyanth dada,
Your story was AMAZING!!! I want to write like you. You write like an author and you will be one! Keep writing!

Ganesh Obla said...
Your story was very narrative. It was a story mixed with travel and love of your family and your motherland.Keep it up. Wish you all success.

Padu said...
I loved the narrative ! Such precise detailing!
I could almost relate to the events. And visualise the incident. You've got a talent there,boy! Hold on to it.

Mannen said...
I like the plot and the way you had written. Very casual and well strung sequence of scaring events that could happen to anyone in daily life. You always came out of those doomed situations with a positive results and shows the boy's strong charecter of resilience. I enjoyed reading your story with suspense. Great starting paragraph!

Aatyanth BRONZE, Cupertino, California
I like this story