The Journey to the NBA | Teen Ink

The Journey to the NBA

By Basketball_10 BRONZE, Canton, Michigan
Basketball_10 BRONZE, Canton, Michigan

Jonathan Jackson has dreamed of being drafted in the NBA since he was a kid. Now that moment has come, he was waiting in the draft room waiting to be called. Then the announcer starts talking “With the thirtieth pick of the NBA draft the Philadelphia 76ers select Jonathan Jackson, from the University of California, Los Angeles.” Jonathan finally achieved his dreams, he knew if his parents were there they would be proud. He shed a tear after his name was announced in remembrance of his parents. 

At the age of 6, Jonathan had a focused and positive mindset, every morning he would practice like he was in the NBA. He had no excuses, he didn’t complain about the steaming hot weather, or that he didn’t have any professional gear, all he needed was a basketball, and a hoop. He did drills after drills until it was time for dinner. He was a young sensation, he was on AAU teams by the first grade. Jonathans chemistry was strong with almost everyone he played with.

As time passed Jonathan was improving, he was superior, but went through obstacles. He played Small forward (SF), but that was hard to maintain for him, his age grew, but he didn’t. He was only 4’10 by the age of 12, he was concerned about his height.
He had trouble overcoming losses, and bad individual performance. He knew that he had to swallow his pride and deal with the loss. After every game he thought about his individual performance and what mistakes he made. Jonathan had to make some major changes.

By the end of middle school, Jonathan decided that he would go to Chino Hills high school, they were ranked in the U.S. . As time was passing Jonathan was developing and overcoming his obstacles. Jonathan didn’t get along with the team well, they didn’t have good chemistry, he thought that this would ruin his high school career, but it ended up going better than he thought. He had a good relationship with Josh Hart, a middle school friend. They were both destined to go to the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). They were like a dynamic duo, nobody could stop them. Win after win after win, they went undefeated. Sophomore, Junior, and Senior year were as identical as freshman year.

Now it was time for college basketball Jonathan and Josh both got recruited to their dream college, UCLA. Jonathan has been checking things off his bucket list since he started his journey to the NBA. The regular season went well for Jonathan and Josh. They were stars, They are future champions, hall of famers, and MVPs. They were both projected to got top 10 in the NBA draft.
The playoffs were next the first and second round was a breeze they beat Kent State, and Cincinnati. When the Sweet 16 came around they were going against Kentucky the number 2 seed. The game began after the tipoff. The game was as close as lips and teeth. When the fourth quarter came around it became more than a basketball game, this game was going in history.

It was the fourth quarter, 1:37 left in the game, 85 to 83. Jonathan was trying to leap of his left foot, he had came down horribly on his left foot, he was clenching onto his knee when he came down. Jonathan sobbed, “I’m done, I’m done, the seasons over”  The crowd went from roaring like lions to complete silence, the coach called a timeout, and teammates came rushing to Jonathan, he was took off the court and rushed to the hospital, where MRI results confirmed that he had torn his ACL. Doctors said that this could be a career ending injury or at least career changing.

Players were interviewed and asked about Jonathan’s injury “It’s like the most depressing win,” Josh said, “regardless we have to stay positive, and hope for the best.” 
The coach cried, “I just started saying a prayer, it couldn’t have be any worse.” Jonathan wasn’t too happy either, his hopes were dying, and his confidence was declining .

The tragedy wasn’t done yet, the day after Jonathan parents were in an enormous accident, they were coming to visit Jonathan, both his mom, and dad were rushed to the hospital, doctors attempted to save them, but his parents didn’t survive. Josh came in the hospital to inform Jonathan about the bad news.
“I have to tell you some bad news.” , Josh murmured to Jonathan.
“Ok . . . What is it?” Jonathan questioned
  “Well . . . your parents passed away”
  “First my ACL tears, now this, what could possibly be next?” , Jonathan wept.He fell to the floor and started crying. It took a long time to recover from a loss. He accepted it, and told himself I can’t change what already happened.

Jonathans injury looked like it was career ending, or at least career changing. Jonathan rehabbed hard, and ultimately returned to college ball the next year. Jonathan was appreciative of all the people that helped him along the way. He showed off how his recovery went by presenting a great statistical season. The first time he went on the court after his injury he knew it would feel wonderful, he felt like everything would go back to normal. He averaged over 20 PPG that season. Jonathans heroic performances allowed UCLA win the NCAA championship since 1995

The season has ended, the offseason is over. It was draft day, Jonathan was projected to go late 1st round. The announcer has now gotten past the first few picks.The announcer goes onto the 26th pick,
“With the twenty-sixth pick of the NBA draft the Philadelphia 76ers select Josh Hart, from UCLA”.
Jonathan cheered “GO JOSHI!”
Then finally Jonathan was notified by the 76ers agent that he would also be drafted to the 76ers along with Josh. “With the thirtieth pick of the NBA draft the Philadelphia 76ers select Jonathan Jackson from UCLA.” His face lit up with a smile, he felt like he completed his life goals. The crowd was screaming, he went up to the stage acknowledged his parents and friends for helping him along the way to his journey. He knew if his parents were there they would be proud. He shed a joyful tear.

Jonathan Jackson and Josh Hart both have the dream of being drafted in the NBA, but they knew it wasn't going to be a breeze. Jonathan wasn't the tallest either. He also had problems overcoming losses and individual performances.