Like A Rainbow | Teen Ink

Like A Rainbow

I hate long lines, because it gives people a chance to really stare at you, to really notice your features. Hello, my name is Addilyn and I have vitiligo. Vitiligo is a skin disease where your lose the pigment of your skin in blotches. It usually occurs between ages 14-60. There is no cure. People tend to ask questions, and it's not the questions I mind, not at all. It bothers me when people are too afraid to ask, like vitiligo is a cold you can catch from being too close.

Anyways, back to the long lines . . . I despise them, yet i'm stating in one that doesn't seem to be moving. I feel like i've been standing here for an eternity. I'm in line to get the brand new phone and i'm so excited! Although I hate long lines . . . It's going to be worth it.

One day, I wanna be the girl who can invent the next iphone, new and improved. I wanna innovate, I wanna change the world.  Then, I see them, two guys who look to be around my age, in their mid-twenties.

One of them catches my eye,and  I notice his piercing blue eyes and dark curly hair. They stare not, at the pretty, perfect girl to my left, or the handsome, flawless guy to my right, No, he just stops, he stops and stares at me. His friend yanks his arm and tries to get him to move along but he just stares. “C’mon Josh!” his friend whines. Finally, after what seemed like forever, he moves along. "She looks like a cow," I hear the girl the my left whisper to her friends, they all snicker evilly. Ugh, sometimes I hate the body I was born in!
             I finally got a new phone! I'm so excited to try it out! As I leave the store I notice the same two guys from earlier, I notice Josh holding something. In his hand he holds a rainbow bouquet of flowers, he walks over to me, gives me the bouquet and says to me; “God  didn't know what color to make you, you're beautiful, like a rainbow.” I feel warmth spread through me. A pure feeling of joy I can't describe. It feels warm and safe. He hugs me and his friend joins us by his side.

Tears fill my eyes and I couldn't be happier. Me and my new found friends, Josh and Kyle, head out to the restaurant across the street. They serve us some really great  

cheeseburgers and we chat for a bit. From that moment, forward if people stare I smile, and they usually smile back at me and approach me. I've made some great friendships and i've grown some thick skin. If it wasn't for that day, I would be afraid to be beautiful.

This peice is about a girl with a skin disease called vitiligo, there is no cure for it. She gets harrased