October | Teen Ink

October

By 19wilsont BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
19wilsont BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

I will never forget the morning of October 25th, 2008. I woke up, ready for another typical day. I picked out my outfit, took a shower, ate breakfast, and got my dog, Boomer, ready for our daily walk. Instead of going the usual way around the neighborhood, I took him to a park that I have never been to. We walked through the wide pathway between many large, orange and red trees. The subtle breeze shook the leaves off of the trees and I watched as they fell graciously onto the ground, like a colorful rain. Along the pathway were many benches where people conversed, listened, ate, and relaxed. Behind the benches on both sides of the pathway, were huge fields of green grass with people running and playing. We approached the end of the pathway and I sat down on a bench, Boomer on the ground. I got out my bag of treats and threw one into his mouth. I continued to give Boomer treats, until I noticed another dog running towards me. The dog jumped on me, licked me, and sniffed Boomer. A man started running towards me, and stopped right next to me.

“I’m so sorry!” He said. “Kody get back here.”

“It’s okay,” I said. “He’s really cute!”

“Thanks, yours is too!”

“Thanks, I’m Serena by the way.”

“I’m Nate, nice to meet you.”

Nate and I walked our dogs around the park for hours, until we realized the sun was starting to set.

“Oh wow, I didn’t realize the time,” I said.

“Neither did I.” he said. “Well, I should go. It was really nice talking to you.”

“You too.”

I walked Boomer back home, and sat on the couch. I couldn’t stop thinking about Nate. Even though we had just met, I could already tell we had some sort of connection; I have never talked to someone for that long in my entire life.

The next day started off like any normal day. I got ready, ate breakfast, and walked Boomer. I took him to the park again, in hopes to see Nate. When we arrived, Nate was nowhere in sight. I walked around the entirety of the park, and still no Nate. Just as I was about to leave, I noticed a familiar looking dog running towards me, holding what looks like a leaf in his mouth. The dog stopped in front of me, dropped the leaf, and looked at me. I bent towards the ground and held the leaf in my hands, and then the dog started licking me.

“Kody!” I heard a familiar voice say. I looked up, and saw Nate.

“I’m sorry again, I should really put him on a leash!” He said, laughing.

“It’s okay,” I said. “Looks like he brought me a leaf?”

“Oh, yeah. For some reason he does that to people he likes.”

I looked up at him and smiled, then continued petting Kody. We walked around the park for hours, again. Talking about anything and everything, and losing track of time.

Ever since we met in the park, we were inseparable. We became fast friends and started dating shortly after. He was the love of my life.

For the rest of the month and into November, we went to the park every day and talked for hours, until we finally went on our first date. On November 10th, he took me to a fancy restaurant called Boka. We lived just outside of Chicago, so tonight he took me into the city. We arrived at 6, and stayed until they closed at 10. We finished our food about an hour after we arrived, but we talked until we lost track of time, once again. It was one of the best nights of my entire life.

We dated for about four years, and then he proposed. The night he did, he took me back to the park where we first met, on the same day we met. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining and colorful leaves were falling. The cool wind blew the trees and my hair. As I was trying to get my hair out of my face, and leaves out of my hair, I looked down and noticed him on one knee. Tears formed in my eyes and I was lost for words. My heart was beating out of my chest and I could feel a swarm of butterflies in my stomach.

“Serena, I love you so much,” he said. “Ever since the first day I saw you, right here in this park, I knew you would be in my life forever. Will you marry me?”

I couldn’t hold in my tears any longer, it was like a waterfall down my face. I quickly held myself together to say one word: yes.

We got married one year after he proposed, in the same park, on October 25th. It was a beautiful ceremony, the yellows, reds, and oranges from the leaves made the scenery look wonderful. I had a long, white, mermaid style dress with sheer lace sleeves, and lace all over. It was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. I walked with my dad down the aisle, feeling every possible emotion. I was so happy to be marrying my true love, but I was terrified for the future. I was sad that I was officially leaving my parents, but I was excited to spend the rest of my life with Nate. I felt butterflies in my stomach, yet warmth and calmness in my heart. I knew I was making the right decision.

We were married for about three years, before I was told the most heartbreaking statement I have ever heard: “Mrs. Archibald, your husband has cancer.” When I was told of the news, all I did was stand there, silently. I was numb. I didn’t move an inch. The doctor put her hand on my shoulder trying to comfort me.

“Mrs. Archibald, I’m so sorry. We are going to do everything we can to help him.”

“Okay, thank you,” was all I was able to get out. I walked away, with tears falling. I quickly calmed myself down, and went back into Nate’s room.

“Hey, honey,” he said.

“Hey,” I said, tears starting to form again.

“Don’t cry.”

I laid on the hospital bed with him, holding in all of my tears. How could this have happened to him? Why do horrible things happen to wonderful people? Why?

He fought, and fought. We were in and out of hospital rooms for two years. On the morning of November 10th, 2018, it seemed like it was going to be a typical day for us. Nate seemed normal and calm. We were watching our favorite T.V. show, How I Met Your Mother, and I noticed him fall asleep. I grabbed his hand and laid my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes, almost falling asleep, until I heard a loud beeping. I jerked awake and saw many doctors running towards Nate’s room. I jumped from the chair and got out of their way, trying to hold in my emotions. I couldn’t process everything that was happening at once. All I knew was that I could be losing the most important person in my life.

The doctors stopped what they were doing, and I looked up at Nate’s monitor. It flatlined. My heart sank to my stomach, and I dropped to the ground. Tears formed in my eyes and I didn’t try to hold them in this time. I felt someone put their hand on my shoulder, and say something.

“Mrs. Archibald, would you like to say goodbye.”

I slowly got up, and sat on the chair I was previously in. I held Nate’s hand and laid my head on his shoulder one last time. I looked down at my stomach, and started rubbing it with my other hand.

“It’s just us now, October.”