The Perfect Proposal | Teen Ink

The Perfect Proposal

June 2, 2022
By hkrog12 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
hkrog12 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The sun peeked over the horizon. The floral scents and crisp air overwhelmed my senses. Each ray of the sun began in the sky and descended onto the mountain tops. Minute by minute the rays crept up the mountain, finally blanketing the whole thing. Spring in Switzerland is by far the prettiest I’ve ever seen. New vibrant flowers are beginning to bloom and the grass that covers the hills is a luscious green. Far past this mountain in the Alps spring has not arrived yet. Snow and ice still protect most of the mountain, despite the 65-degree weather. Two different seasons were occurring at the same time within the same place. It looked like something out of a Bob Ross painting.

To separate the spring mountain from the snowy one, a river ran through the foothills in the middle of the mountains, splitting them in two. This formed a breathtaking valley filled with hiking trails for people to use and observe the surrounding nature. Spruce, oak, maple, and redwood trees grew in speckled clumps down the back of the spring mountain. These provide shade and housing for the various creatures that deemed this mountain their home. Even the colder winter mountain was home to some small animals and birds chirping around the mountain tops. The nature here was stunning and unique—I had never seen anything quite like it in one place before. 

I decided that here in Switzerland, with the lovely scenery, would be the perfect place to propose to my girlfriend. Sarah and I had been dating for five years, and I wanted to make this the most magical proposal she could have ever imagined. She was the most wonderful person I ever met, so I had to make sure that the proposal was just as good as she is. She always knew how to make me laugh at her dumb jokes, and she even paints and sketches in her free time. She has fierce red hair that looks like it has been set ablaze. She loves the outdoors and traveling around the world, and I know she would be blown away by experiencing the breathtaking view in the valley. She made a similar painting to hang in our bedroom, so I know she would be amazed to see it in real life too. I couldn’t wait to pack up a picnic tonight with her favorite foods and take her here on a sunset hike. I would pack a salad and charcuterie board for the two of us to share, and even bring one of those tacky red and white checkered picnic blankets to go along with it. We would drink wine and eat chocolate too. Then I would wait for the perfect moment when the sun’s rays cast down on us to make the proposal of my dreams so I could be with Sarah forever.