The Big Three | Teen Ink

The Big Three MAG

July 29, 2009
By protagonist BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
protagonist BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

“What event triggered the Cuban missile crisis?”

My study buddy looked from his paper to me with those eyes – the eyes of Dorian Gray. “I guess Princeton Review doesn't see the irony of putting ‘trigger' and ‘missile crisis' in the same question,” he added.

I answered with a coquettish laugh and, of course, the correct answer: the Bay of Pigs invasion. I knew the answers to all these questions. It's not like I suggested the idea of a study session because I had difficulty remembering the events of the Kennedy administration.

“Who was the Soviet premier during the Cuban missile crisis?” His voice had a curious, musical ring to it like some character in a black and white movie you could never quite place.

“Khrushchev.” You would want to hear more of that voice … like the first ten seconds of a JFK speech, before the whole nasal rasp becomes too much.

“Spell Khrushchev.” Ha! My little Cape Cod golden boy was challenging me.

“The AP exam doesn't take off for spelling.” I looked him straight in the eyes – eyes that happened to be mere inches from mine. Thank you, Aphrodite, for making small tables at coffee houses everywhere.

“I want to see if you know it.”

I stared into the tangoing twirls of blue and silver in his eyes. They should have been strands of cotton candy, but something told me they were the current of an eddy waiting to pull me in. Once you're gone, you're gone.

“K.” But the whites of his eyes were crossed with little red veins.

“H.” Did he have trouble sleeping last night?

“R.” Or was he with her last night?

“U.” No, they broke up. He's single now, but blond boy's out of my league.

“S.” It's a challenge. Does that mean I should go for it?

“C.” I wouldn't know how.

“H.” Won't he just disappear from my life when the semester ends?

“E.” Not if I play this right.

“V.” What the hell, you only live once.

He stared at me for a moment, and I couldn't breathe but didn't care to; who needs oxygen when you have so much adrenalin in your veins there's barely room for blood?

“So close,” he said in a low voice. His voice is even better than his eyes. For a moment I wondered if he would lean in and kiss me. “But you forgot an H.”

Figures I would do something to ruin it. No kiss for me. I guess spelling the names of Soviet premiers isn't something guys consider a turn-on.

“This one's easy,” he said.

Something easy? It must not be kissing me.

“Name the Big Three.”

The Big Three … somehow my mind was clear on this one. It wasn't that the answer was clear, but my mind was clear like the kind of stream some obnoxiously perfect lyrical unicorn would drink from. For a mini-eternity I didn't think about the mounds of work I still had to do, the fact I was manipulating him to spend time with me, or those damn eyes. I thought of nothing … peace. The only three words that came to my head were “I love you.”

“Don't you know the Big Three?”

There were those eyes again. Stalin must have had captivating eyes, but in a different way. In these eyes there was concern … but only concern that I didn't know the answer. In them I saw his dreams, his amazement, his past loves, his cats … but was there anything for me?

“The Big Three are Stalin, Roosevelt, and Churchill.” With each name I couldn't help but feel my words betrayed them all. But it was the correct answer, and logically the only answer. Still, I couldn't look in his eyes.

“Are you sure?” My God, he was teasing me! Of all the questions he decided to make me second guess myself on, he had to pick this one.

Bastard. Blond handsome bastard. He was also playing me.

“Well, what other Big Three is there?” I asked in my most seductive voice. Those years of theater had to pay off sometime. I twirled a bit of curly hair around my finger. He loved my curly hair, so unlike his.

His eyes were staring into mine and I stared right back. Was I FDR and he Stalin, or the other way around? There was a flicker of something in those cotton-candy eyes and I knew he wasn't Stalin.

“I love you.” The words that slipped from his lips were barely audible.

“I love me too.” I bet no one had ever said that to a Kennedy before. But I hadn't won yet. “In fact, I love me almost as much as I love you.”


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 149 comments.


on Nov. 16 2010 at 5:56 pm
WritingJulia SILVER, Binghamton, New York
6 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Kind words can be short and easy to say, but their echoes are truly endless." -Mother Theresa

Such a cool username!  Amazing work too! :)

on Nov. 16 2010 at 12:06 pm
Mortie PLATINUM, Oak Run, California
31 articles 0 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
Whats The Point?

aww!!! that wes really good!!! please keep writing!!!
=)

on Nov. 14 2010 at 2:18 pm
ideaspazz BRONZE, New York, New York
2 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
There may already be a billion-trillion stars in the sky, but one can always shine brighter than another...

--Grace B.

WOW!  That was amazing!  I'm so glad I read it...I really like her thoughts when she was spelling the weird name...That was creative, as was the fantastic ending!  NEVER, EVER, stop writing!

on Nov. 10 2010 at 11:27 pm
The_Squirrel GOLD, Port Alberni, Other
15 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
I will because I can, I can because I want to, I want to becasue you said I couldn't.

The ending was perfect. Magnificient. Iloved this story almost as much I loved the ending. It tied it together perfectly.

on Oct. 29 2010 at 8:06 am
TessaOhhh BRONZE, Funchester,, Virginia
2 articles 3 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We will all be the greatest, we will all be degraded." -John O'Callaghan

OH MY GOSH. THIS IS SO AMAZING.

on Oct. 25 2010 at 2:32 pm
Writing-Otaku GOLD, Spring, Texas
16 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If they think you're crazy they won't mess with you."

That was so adorable! I like how you slipped in the appearances instead of describing them right at the beginning.

on Oct. 14 2010 at 9:40 pm
lena.ivette BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 article 1 photo 10 comments
this was so very, very cute :) i love it, love it, love it!

amaranth178 said...
on Oct. 11 2010 at 5:19 pm
amaranth178, Washington, District Of Columbia
0 articles 0 photos 118 comments
Hold on...I just mispelled that, didn't I? hahaha Kruschchev ^_^

amaranth178 said...
on Oct. 11 2010 at 5:18 pm
amaranth178, Washington, District Of Columbia
0 articles 0 photos 118 comments
I liiiiked iiiit :) I think that the part about Kruschev was particularly interesting/unique/genius Good job! :)

Maxwell said...
on Aug. 27 2010 at 7:15 am
Maxwell, Rochdale, Massachusetts
0 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are not retreating, we are merely advancing in another direction." General George S. Pattton, US Army

Oh terriblely good! I loved it. Loved Loved Loved it! The best part was the "I love me too". I was thinking "wow. thats cold" and then I got to the end. Hahaha great!

LastChapter said...
on Jul. 10 2010 at 3:32 pm
LastChapter, Hempstead, New York
0 articles 0 photos 215 comments

Favorite Quote:
(couldn't think of anything better at the time) "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

i lovelovelovelove the twist you put @ the end! delish! keep it up gurl!

on Jul. 8 2010 at 8:18 am
ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 226 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life. Don't talk to me about life."
~Marvin the Paranoid Android (from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series)
Statistical analysis suggests that i am probably in tune with someone
(hahahahaha! I love this cause i'm never ever ever in tune >o

awwwwwwww. great job :)

on Jul. 7 2010 at 9:39 pm
weebnini DIAMOND, San Diego, California
55 articles 3 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Done & Over"

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

"People should be able to say how they feel. How they really feel. Not, you know, some words that some strangers put in their mouth."

AWWWW:) its sooo cute! i love it!

 

can u R&R some of my word plz ! :)


on Jun. 15 2010 at 7:29 pm
choirchic101 SILVER, Norwalk, California
9 articles 0 photos 196 comments

Favorite Quote:
in order for God to use all of you you have to be completely broken

that was a cute story

CLC93 said...
on Jun. 15 2010 at 3:10 pm
I loved this! Great story! :D

on Jun. 15 2010 at 2:22 pm
hopelesssharpie BRONZE, Srghsfgjd, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction must make sense." -Mark Twain.
"I'm not crazy, my reality is simply different than yours."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than be loved for who I'm not."

this was really good, but just wanted to add a thumbs up to the people out there othe rthan me that actually read the picture of dorian gray. i know thats not the title but my head is clear of it right now so yeah, awesome story.

on Jun. 15 2010 at 7:12 am
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
48 articles 0 photos 1752 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Wow this story was so amazing!  I absolutely LOVED it, especially with the spelling:)Great job!  PLEASE keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out my work and comment on it?


on May. 30 2010 at 1:28 pm
protagonist BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I guess I mean that as a reply, but your review really did make my day. :-)

on May. 30 2010 at 1:26 pm
protagonist BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Thanks, that was an incredible review.  I think you just made my day, too.

~yo~y'all~ said...
on May. 30 2010 at 7:50 am
OMG i loved the ending it was sooo cute!!! I loved how they were like: Boy: 'I love you.' Girl: 'I love me too. In fact, I love me almost as much as I love you.' I totally laughed at that! it's so cute and sweet and not corny at all! (i'm making a lot of grammatical errors but then fixing them because of my excitement) I loved how she hated him but loved him!!! this was prolly the best romance article i've read! u kno what, it is one of the best that i've read (i have no number 1,2, or 3 cuz i just like a lot of things and i can't put them in order) thanks for writing this great piece! yay! now i'm gonna have a great day! :)