Counting the Ways to Where You Are Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

Counting the Ways to Where You Are Chapter 1

June 14, 2009
By Skyla Budd BRONZE, Plainview, New York
Skyla Budd BRONZE, Plainview, New York
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The two of them sat in silence as Nate drove back to his parent’s house in Syosset. When they reached their destination Kayla realized that there were no cars parked in front of Nate’s house.
“Mom, Dad,” Nate called into the house and went upstairs to see if anyone was around.
Kayla walked into the kitchen and looked around. There were pictures on the refrigerator. There just happened to be a picture of Nate and his ex. Nate had his arms around her and she looked so happy. “She was probably doing that other guy at the time,” Kayla thought. Kayla took the picture down and put it in her pocket of her dress.
There was also a picture of Nate in his cap and gown graduating from Brown University. Kayla smiled to herself. As always, Nate looked dashing in formal attire.
“They aren’t home,” Nate called to Kayla in the Patel family room.
Kayla walked into the room to find Nate on the red sofa. There was a large 60 inch screen with the latest Xbox and Playstation attached to it. She sat down quickly next to him.
Nate took Kayla’s hand and he grinned innocently at her. Kayla looked the other way feeling like she was sixteen again. Kayla did have boyfriends in college but it never evolved into anything serious. She was super busy with her music that they barely ever saw them so obviously the relationship would end.
“What’s wrong?” Nate asked Kayla and he let go of her hand.
“I was just thinking about something,” Kayla said honestly.
“What?” Nate asked.
“How any other guy I’ve ever liked or loved I was never honest to. I never wanted them to get to close. Besides you,”
Kayla had to resist the thoughts that she had in her mind on what she should do next to Nate. She couldn’t rush this. It took so long to get to this point. Kayla didn’t want to ruin it. She honestly couldn’t resist the temptation any longer. She gave him a quick kiss on the lips but then continued with long, passion-filled kisses and she somehow ended up on top, straddling him.
She began to look unsure. Is this what he wanted right now? Kayla had no clue so she stopped and was about to get off of Nate.

“Don’t,” he said and kissed her. “Continue. I really want this,”

“You do?” Kayla said, and smiled. “Thank God,” She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and started to kiss him again with such passion. Nate also returned the favor.

Kayla thought that she heard Nate give a quiet moan of pleasure. Never in her wildest dreams did Kayla imagine that she and Nate would be doing this. Nate was about to unbutton his shirt but he jumped which made Kayla get off him.

“What happened?” Kayla said looking worried that it was her that made him jump.

“Um, my phone vibrated,” Nate explained. “Who would text me at a time like this,” Nate looked at his phone. He looked concern as he looked at the screen.

“What is it?” Kayla asked.

“It was Kala,” Nate said. “She packed all of her stuff and left the apartment. She left the last three months of her share of the rent.”

“Oh,” Kayla said. She noticed that Nate looked sad now. Nate got off the couch and put his phone on the kitchen table. Kayla followed him.
Nate, who still looked upset, ran his hand through his hair. “I still can’t believe she cheated on me for over a year and I didn’t notice at all. Am I that much of a fool?” Nate questioned aloud.

“No you aren’t a fool,” Kayla reassured him and came over to give him a hug. “She was the fool for cheating on you.”

“I never really loved her. She was the first to say ‘I love you’ and I said it back to her out of courtesy,” Nate explained to Kayla.

“Well that was polite of you. I remember once a guy said ‘I love you’ to me. I freaked out in front of him and just couldn’t say it back to him,” Kayla explained and started to laugh.


“Move in with me,” Nate said quietly in Kayla’s ear.

“Sure,” Kayla whispered back and guided Nate back to the sofa. Kayla unbuttoned Nate’s shirt slowly. Her hands were shaking because she never did this before. Unbuttoning Nate’s shirt was more difficult to do than her last Mozart Concerto on the harp. Kayla pretended to act all sexy and Nate was trying not to laugh.
“I know you’re laughing,” Kayla said. “I’m trying alright. I know you aren’t an expert either.”
Nate gave her a kiss after she finished with his shirt. “You’re doing a fantastic job,”.


“Yeah I know,” Kayla said.
“You’re almost too good,” Nate said.
“Now I think you’re being sarcastic,” Kayla said as seductively as she could. She was about to take off her leggings but then they heard the house door open.
“Oh no!” Nate said quietly and attempted to button his shirt again. He tried to fix his hair again.

Kayla attempted to fix her hair because it was in all different directions. She didn’t notice that her lip gloss was smeared all over her and Nate.

As the footsteps got closer, Kayla’s nervousness rose and tried to help Nate button his shirt. As she was doing that someone walked into Nate’s room.

“So you left me stranded to do this,” James said in a mock offended kind of way. “Well it was all worth it. Congrats Nate for finally deflowering,”

Kayla almost started to laugh hysterically because of James’ comments but she knew that Nate was embarrassed. So Kayla grinned and looked at the floor.

“Not yet,” Nate said whose face was bright red. “Thanks for ruining the moment”

James said. “Well I’m actually sorry because I’ve been waiting for this moment to come for you since I was in middle school. Some good news you should know is that mom and dad won’t be home for two days. They decided to go away to the Hamptons. So you’ll have plenty of time.”

“That’s great!” Kayla and Nate said together.

“Just don’t make too much noise,” James pointed out. “I don’t want to hear Nate’s girl scream.”

“I don’t scream like a girl,” Nate said angrily. “Why did you say that?”

“Cause sometimes I would hear you—’’
“Ok you can shut up now!!!” Nate and Kayla said together. Both of them didn’t want to hear what they both thought James was going to say.
“LEAVE!” Nate said to James. “You’re being a pain,” James obeyed Nate for once and left.

“Well that was interesting,” Kayla said. Nate still had a look of shock on his face. “Oh come on! It could have been worse. Instead of James walking in, he could have been your parents.”