Sunsets | Teen Ink

Sunsets

By unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

My dark blue eyes swept over the letter once again, checking for any signs of falseness. I paused at the word love. Tracing the block lettering, I realized that there are many ways to show love. Moving away wasn’t one of those reasons.

I glanced up onto the beach. One lone silhouette of a boy in his late teens stood at the water’s edge. I slowly walked up to him. Without making a sound I glanced up at his profile.

His shaggy brown hair fell in front of his eyes and his square jaw had a hint of stubble shadowing his mouth. He looked down at me and the corners of his mouth hitched up.

“I knew you would come.” His voice was hoarse as if he had been yelling all day. “You always do.” I reached for his hand and he took it, squeezing gently. I forced a smile at him.

“I love you,” I spoke, my voice breaking on the last word. He laughed; it was a low sad sound, unusual for him.

“As I love you.” Using his free hand, he stroked my cheek. I pressed my face into it breathing in his scent. He smelled lightly of soap and had on a hint of the cologne I bought him for his birthday.

“Then stay,” I pleaded. He frowned as if he were asked a difficult question.

“You know I can’t.”

“Then stay here with me tonight,” I argued holding tighter onto him. He hesitated and then nodded. He sat down, pulling me with him. Cradling me in his arms, he started to stroke my windblown hair. I closed my eyes; I was hoping that time would stop right there.

“I leave tomorrow morning,” he said to the air in front of him. I let a few tears trail down my face without speaking. For if I did, I knew I would weep. “Megan, look up.” I obeyed and he turned my face to the source of the dimming light. The sunset’s vibrant oranges, yellows, and reds painted the sky. I sighed, realizing that this was the last sunset I would spend with him. Reluctantly, I turned back to him.

“Don’t let me go,” I murmured before turning back to the sunset.

“I won’t,” he answered, but as he said those words we both knew they weren’t true. I took them to heart anyways. Tears started streaming down my cheeks and I let out a sob. Shawn held me tighter and I could feel his own tears falling into my hair. The sunset colors were turning into blackness and I could make out a few stars in the sky. The day was ending and so were our lives together.

I am such a romantic. I love a good romance novel.

written_love BRONZE, Nanuet, New York

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present."
"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you will land among the stars."

I love this piece. It was short and sweet.. It lasted just long enough, and it flowed beautifully.

MissFaber SILVER, Wayne, New Jersey

Nothing Less.

heyy this is MissFaber from order 423! I absolutely LOVED this piece... it was short and really sweet.

I feel for you... the guy I love moved away as well. :'(

Rosalie PLATINUM, Maryville, Tennessee

-you have many to learn but nothing to lose.
-the hardest thing to do is watch the one you love, love someone else...
-good girls are bad girls that dont get caught.

I love this! you are a great writer! please keep writing!

biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

oh, im such a romantic as well! we should start a club! hehe

Thank you so much! :) i love all of these positive comments! haha. i just wrote this after my best guy friend moved away. I think i may have loved him but he never found out. lol. thanks anyways

thewritingclarinetist, Port Orange, Florida

Those who try, are those who plan on failing.

wow i loved this article. probably the best one ive read so far out of yours. YOU ARE AN AMAZING WRITER! please, for the love of all things holy, DO NOT STOP WRITING! you are so good at it. :)

PoetLaureate07 PLATINUM, Aberdeen, Mississippi

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing..

AWWW!! Their life together didn't have to end... Where was he going..just away mabye... It was sweet, amazing, and it took me in!!! check out some of my work!!

JohnnyDeppLover123 DIAMOND, Holyoke, Massachusetts

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.
William Shakespeare

wow that was incredible!!! Oh my gosh I absolutely loved it...it was so passionate and incredible!!! wow pure genius...good job! : ]

natygrace1217 PLATINUM, Jefferson, Maryland

trying is failing, doing is succeeding.

ok seriously, this was the best article i have read on the whole website! it was focused souly on their relationship and nothing else. you didnt spend too much time on the character detail, but there was just the amount you needed! the focus was their romance! incredible!

Ada_500 BRONZE said...
Ada_500 BRONZE, Fort Washington, Maryland
to me this is kind of a coincidence (don't know if i spelled that right) anywho i was listening to kelly clarkson "already gone" and it matched the story perfectly of how he knows that they are going to be away so it just ties together perfectly almost cried though.

writingtiger25 BRONZE, New Providence, New Jersey

"Do not follow the path that others make and force you to follow. Make your own path and leave a trail." -Dalai Lama

Two words. I cried.

SugarnSpice SILVER, Aurora, Colorado

"A woman's heart is a deep ocean of secrets."-Titanic

Great story!

HarryPotterFan09 SILVER, China, Maine

Harry Potter: "This is night, Diddykins. That's what we call it when it goes all dark like this."

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.-Unknown

Laundry is the only thing that should be sorted by color.-Unknown

AMAZING...Im a hopeless romantic and this cured my craving. Keep up the great work!

The sequel is out! comment! :)

EHunt96 PLATINUM, Swampscott, Massachusetts

"Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about."

Love it!!! I will be looking out for the next one!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

windblossom said...
windblossom, Hyderabad, Other

"The caterpillar does all the hard work, but the butterfly gets all the publicity"

Its wonderful!! :) Loved it!

StEaMbOaT said...
very nice thank you

Thankz! :) these made my day!

emaleigh!!:) said...
AGREED with fredwardness!

Fredwardness SILVER, Romeo, Michigan

"The stars are blazing like rebel diamonds cut out of the sun" -The Killers (Read My Mind)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -George Harrison

I really liked this, keep writing. oh and im definetly going to check out the sequel =)