Breakup Advice | Teen Ink

Breakup Advice

After those amazing relationships end, you have to ask yourself how things will continue. If you broke up with your partner, you must either be unhappy with them, mad at them, tired of them, or some other circumstance. So, if it is you who breaks up with the other, stop and think. As one single person, you don't have any idea what the other might go through. One moment to you is completely different that that of another. For example, you might go on a date and have the time of your life, oblivious to that fact that the one you care for is about to slit their wrists in boredom.
Just and example.
But that is something that you can relate to a breakup. You might think that things are better off without the other. They might be tripping and falling behind you, trying to catch up and get you back. It happens a lot, and these breakups are the worst. I myself went through one. And I've scraped my knees so much over these past to years tripping and falling after her(yes, two years. She's so beautiful I can't stop thinking about her). I've found out the the first and most important thing you can do to stay out of those horrible, bad break ups, is to forget. Easier said then done, right? Well, there is only one way to completely get over such a thing. Overwrite the memories that the two of you shared. Now, people call this a rebound, but isn't every boyfriend/girlfriend after the first a rebound? You must make better memories with this person. Have a greater time, and think about the new things you share rather then all the things you used to share with the other. Take it from me, with time, almost everything is mendable.

COMMENT AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY BACK!

mikkigirl2012 SILVER, Tupelo, Mississippi

1.) G.I.R.: CHICKEN! I'm gonna eat you!
2.) G.I.R.: [disguised as a dog] MEOW!
3.) G.I.R.: I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now. G.I.R.: Doom doom doom...
4.) I am who I am no approval needed

I can relate... I fell in love with my best friend and we were happy for about 9 days before he broke up with me telling me that his heart wasn't ready for another relationship... But in just those 9 days, I'd been the happiest I'd been in years and was slowly becoming more confident in myself. Its been a month and a half since then and its touch and go between  me and him... some days he'll talk to me like the old days, some days he's mad at me, some days he ignores me, and others it seems like I could almost have my teddy bear back... Break-ups suck and trying to forget everything between you and that other person is so hard no matter how long ya'll were together... 

icee girl said...
me to  me and my ex was together  for 8 months and he  chested  on me wit 2 girls man i was so brokon hearter for  along time but it is what it is no matter what so i had to get over it

Lovetoparty SILVER, Noblesville, Indiana

"Don't say you love me unless you really mean it, because I might do something crazy like believe it."

I am with you my x and went and cheated on me and said the same things

paperandpen SILVER, Hutchinson, Minnesota

Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering. St. Augustine

me and ex were together for ten months before he broke up with me. i thought he was the one..he made so many promises, and he said he loved me. i've been so hurt because i found out he lied..about everything. i found out he cheated on me and didn't even care for me the way i wish he did. love hurts so much, especially when it never lasts.

ThePeaceDaisy BRONZE, Albany, New York

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.” - Unknown
I will change this every week!

this isn't a poem..

MoonHeart SILVER, PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania
I went through exactly that with my boyfriend, in a short time of only 5 months. We were on and off and every time he wanted me back even after i had hurt him and he had hurt me. Every time he either took me back or i took him back. Now we are together, again, and we will stay together for as long as we can. THis time I wont let him go. Breakups suck!

AllThingsTheatre BRONZE, Vidor, Texas
Well obviously he isn't the nicest sweetest best guy ever if he would be so mean to say that! There will be another guy out there for you! And he will love you back, and respect you.

zanay BRONZE said...
zanay BRONZE, Van Nuys, California

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

I am dating a guy who is too awkward, reserved, and unemotional to the point where he's boring. I know those seem like trivial reasons because he is super nice, but after 5 months it's become almost unbearable. Which leads me to my main question: I want to break up with him, but we go to different high schools so seeing each other is really rare. I feel bad breaking up with him in person cause it means that it took us an hour of transportation to see each other, just to hear me say that I don't wanna see him anymore, but at the same time breaking up over the phone seems too mean and impersonal. Added to that is that I'm almost 4 years younger than him (I'm 15, he's 19), yet so far I have been more decisive in the relationship. If anyone has any advise, please tell me. Thanks!

zanay BRONZE said...
zanay BRONZE, Van Nuys, California

Hey, I'm sorry, I wrote this on the wrong article. :P I did have a question about this though. I'll just write it as a seperate thread.

zanay BRONZE said...
zanay BRONZE, Van Nuys, California

I love teenink! I've noticed there are a lot of bullies and trolls on the website now, which makes me really sad.

Good for you! I'll definitly read it. I havn't written anything yet, but I'm working on a couple things.

clumsyteardropper SILVER, Roslyn, Pennsylvania

"You can't help others, if you yourself need help" -my sister ;) love it!

thanks :)  i really appricate that... I find, tho, that writing about things that have happened to me help me to move on and live my life.  the recent thing that i wrote is not exactly about that guy i talked about, but all the emotional pain it caused me in the future.  this past March, I went through a really rough time... but i'm okay now.  i wrote about my experience.  it's called "Iron Box" by me :)  you should check it out... i would love the feedback.  i'd love to read anything you've written if you have indeed posted something :)

hejlna said...
:) smile. hating yourself won't get you anywhere. you need to slap away the tears, banish the memories, and be the strong, brave, beautiful girl that you are.

yeah... i know.  but im making it through.  everything still... hurts........ he made me to hate myself..... so im damaged emotionally, phisically, AND mentally.  but, like "hejlna" said... i might write about it.  you guys should check it out whenever it gets post (thts if i do).  just remember... i'm "clumsyteardropper" :)

AllThingsTheatre BRONZE, Vidor, Texas

Wow. Thats sad!

BrittDawn PLATINUM, Winnipeg, Other

And at that moment, I swear we were infinite.

yeah your totally right :)

hejlna said...
wow. thats a story. i think u should write about it.

this is a good poem because.like if you really love someone you can indadiocate this poem to that person

I cannot aree with you more, my friend

My story wasn't exactly break up... well here goes: years ago, this guy charmed me and swept me off my feet, so to speak. He was great, amazing... and i loved him. until the rainbows faded and the butterflies died.......... he wasn't who I thought he was. he became abusive, he manipulated into doing unspeakable things. i can barely even talk about it. *sigh*.... anyway.... one night he tried to "take advantage of me", ya know, (btw, hes 6 feet and 7inches tall :O with musles) but somehow, by some mircale (and i thank God for it) i fought him off and got away. i never saw him again...... i have a lot of permanent damage from all that. i love to run... but now it's hard to, becuz everything hurts.... i didn't even WANT a boyfriend... i was only 11... and he was a lot older... like i said, he manipulated me........