The Still Swing | Teen Ink

The Still Swing

By WriterWithWings DIAMOND, Seneca, South Carolina
WriterWithWings DIAMOND, Seneca, South Carolina

“Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If you're alive, it isn't.”
"Love is a drug. a drug that distorts reality, and thats the point of it. No body would fall in love with someone who they really saw."
"Words and hea

“Babe I will always love you.” Jason whispered in Ellie’s ear. He pulled back and looked in her eyes, then kissed her. They held each other in a tight embrace for what seemed like forever but still let go much too soon for either of them. Ellie leaned into Jason’s shoulder and repeated his words, “Babe I will always love you.” He chuckled and kissed her again. I don’t know what I would do without him, thought Ellie. She had been thinking that thought a lot lately. See, Ellie had been through a lot in recent years even when she was little. Her father had basically married his work when she 4 years old, and her mother divorced him as soon as he quit coming home for days at stretch. Her mother had kept strong as a single mother as long as she could but eventually went into depression when Ellie was 6. Ellie, being the eldest, had learned how to cook and take care of her 3 younger siblings before she turned 7.
Her whole life had been taking care of her siblings, always working, that is until she met Jason. He helped her with her brothers and sister, she remembered when he stayed up all night with her little brother playing Halo when she was sick and couldn’t watch him. He picked them up dinner sometimes, and would even sometimes help with the bills. She remembered when she couldn’t come up with enough money for the water bill. She hadn’t wanted to use her mother’s money until she knew there was no other way. Jason had worked overtime, but still made time for her, and raked in enough money to pay the water bill and the next months. Though Jason was only 17, and Ellie 16, they both knew they were in love. That they could never live without each other. That they were meant to be together- forever. He had helped her, and pulled her out of a tight place.
“Hun, this is our place now. It will always be.” Jason pulled her out of her flash backs. She just smiled at the thought, this is our place, always will be.
Ellie knew they will always be together forever.

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

A Few Months Later
“Jason no. No! You cant! You cant just have cancer! Isn’t it curable!?” Ellie was sure she was about to faint right here in Jason’s hospital room. He couldn’t just have cancer! He cant just leave! Was all Ellie could think. Jason shushed her and hugged her tight. “ Ellie, calm down. Please before you hurt yourself. Shh, that’s it, just breath. Now its true that lots of cancers are very curable, this one isn’t. Leukemia is usually curable but can be very fatal in some cases. It just happens that its my case. Really don’t worry. I am not in any pain and I will die peacefully. Lets just spend our last moments together and make them great.” He smiled his signature crooked smile at her. “Fine, but we’re in a hospital room, what fun can we have in here?!” Ellie really was trying to think positive. He grinned mischievously. “Well we can always do this,” He pulled her onto his lap and started kissing her sweetly, “Now see isn’t this fun?” She just smiled. Truthfully she was trying to make sure not to sit or bump into any of his IVs. She didn’t want him to notice but he knew her much to well to not notice. “Ellie! Quit it! Its fine if you hit one of the IVs. They don’t change me!” He screamed at her. She didn’t know what to say. He rarely screamed at her. She knew that he wasn’t different just because the cancer! Oh my gosh, Jason has cancer. It hit her again. She could feel the tears running down her face, she grabbed her purse and ran out of the room, taking the stairs so she could avoid the wait and stares from the people in the waiting room.
Back in the hospital room Jason was hitting himself. Why did I scream at her!? We only have a few moments left together and I made her run out of here! I made her cry! I am a jerk! He had no clue what he was going to do. He just knew he would die soon, and he was hoping that Ellie would return before he did so he could apologize. But what if she didn’t? Before he knew what he was doing he grabbed a pen and a piece of paper and began writing.
When he was happy with his work he thought he should sleep some. The doctors said he had better chances if he would rest. He closed his eyes- but never opened them again.
“Ellie, the hospital called and said they needed you to go down as soon as possible” Ellie’s brother, Conner, yelled. “Thanks I will be back home in time for dinner. You’re in charge till I get back! Bye!” She grabbed a coat and ran out the door.
When she arrived at the hospital and one of the nurses informed her of Jason’s death, she thought she would just die right there. But she wasn’t that lucky. She now had to learn what she would do without Jason. How in the world will I do this? Was the thought Ellie had in her head- right before she fainted on the hospital floor.
During her time in unconsciousness she dreamt of the bench. Jason and her swing. Their spot. But this time it was just her swinging on the bench, all by herself, crying. She watched herself get off the swing and slowly walk away. But before she got over the hill, she looked back at their spot one last time. She saw the bench completely still. The still swing.

Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

All gave some, some gave all. -War Veterans headstone.

Not to be rude.  But I don't believe you wrote this when you were TEN.  That seems unrealistic.  I'm sorry about your friend.  That's a sad way to go, so sudden, but not sudden enough, you know what I mean? 

"Words and hea

You'd think, wouldn't you? I have a friend who found out literally three days before he died. So no, you wouldn't always find about cancer moments before you die. I was also ten when I wrote this, so yeah, "unrealistic" wasn't exactly what I focused on.

Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

It seemed kind of unrealistic.  For one, you would find out about your cancer a lot sooner than a few moments before your about to die.

"Words and hea

Thanks! I may add on to it some more later... not sure yet

miasophia35 BRONZE, Sheffield, Illinois

"People are only as happy as they make up their mind to be."-Abraham Lincoln

Wow! I don't think I took my eye off the page once, it was great! (: