Unachievable Dreams | Teen Ink

Unachievable Dreams

January 2, 2010
By Itz94 BRONZE, Moses Lake, Washington
Itz94 BRONZE, Moses Lake, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“So, what’s her name?” Kary asked a starry-eyed Jonny.

“Courtney,” Jonny sighed his eyes not leaving the beautiful brunette sitting across the diner.

“And how much older is she than you?”

“Four years, six months, and five days.” Jonny watched as Courtney threw back her head and laughed loudly. He imagined that was what heaven will sound like.

“And how much older is her boyfriend than you?”

“Seven years, four months, and nineteen days,” Jonny growled glaring at the real-life Ken doll that had his arm draped around Courtney’s perfect shoulders.

“So your chances of winning her love…?”

“About one in a million at this moment. One in a thousand once she knows my name. And one in a hundred once I break up her and Francisco.” Jonny finally turned his head away from heavenly Courtney to see Kary making a weird face. “What’s that face for?”

“I’m sorry but I think you are the craziest person I have ever met. I mean you can’t even get a girl your own age and yet you think you can get a girl four years older who has a boyfriend named Francisco! Yup, you’re crazy.”

“Well that wasn’t exactly the supportive and useful advice I was looking for.”

“I’m sorry what were you hoping for?” Kary asked in a sarcastic tone.

“Well you’re a girl, couldn’t you help me out with the whole girl code thing. I don’t even know how to get her to know my name!”

Kary’s face suddenly went very serious and she leaned in closer. Jonny quickly leaned in too hoping to hear the answer to all his problems. Kary starred at him for a few seconds, then whispered the greatest piece of advice ever heard:

“Talk to her.”

Jonny sat back up with an exasperated breath as Kary grinned. The waitress finally came with their bill. They paid and began to head out.

“You know sometimes I forget why we are even friends,” Jonny declared still annoyed at Kary for not sharing the secret to girls.

Before he even knew what was happening Kary had stuck out her foot causing Jonny to tumble right in the middle of the diner.

“Oh my goodness JONNY! You are just such a klutz sometimes JONNY ROBSON! What am I going to do with you JONATHON WHO LIKES TO BE CALLED JONNY!” Kary yelled as she helped a bright red Jonny off the floor.

“What was that for?!” Jonny hissed once he was fully back on his feet and walking again. The door looked a mile away as he felt everyone’s eyes on him.

“I’d bet your chances with little miss perfect are up to one in a thousand now.” Kary winked as she pushed open the diner door.

Jonny snuck a quick glance back into the diner as he followed Kary out. Sure enough, there was Courtney looking right at him. She gave him a beautiful little half smile that made his hands sweat. He smiled back and together they shared a small perfect little moment until he once again found himself falling to the ground.

Jonny looked up to see Kary leaning over him with a smile.

“Was there a purpose for that one?” Jonny asked.

“Now she’s sure to remember you.”

Jonny shook his head as he stood up with help from Kary, his best friend in the world.

“Now I remember why we’re friends,” Jonny said with a laugh. “You’re a bully and I have no say in the matter.”
Kary laughed. “You got that right.”

The author's comments:
Hope this made you laugh. If not, I've failed... Haha but I already laughed writing it so I can't fail.