Our Young Romance | Teen Ink

Our Young Romance

By rain-rain111 PLATINUM, Roselle, Illinois
rain-rain111 PLATINUM, Roselle, Illinois

He offered her the world but she said she had her own.

I met him when I was only eight and he was nine. At first I had no interest in him. I thought he was just a skinny boy with scabby knees, and I, with flowing black hair and a flawless complexion. But, back then we were to young to understand what awaited us in the future.
Oh, the first year was rough. Mother had to literally drag me to see him.
"Come on, Marissa. He's a good guy. Give him a chance." she had said time and time again. The only reason why she wanted us to talk to one another was because she was friends with his mother. I was always stuck playing with his toy cars or digging up worms, nothing, a girl like me, should be doing. He never cared much for a clean face or hands. I even thought he didn't know what the word 'manners' meant because he didn't posses any!
But, oh, on my tenth birthday every thing changed. I remember it like yesterday. When I woke up and ran downstairs. The shock I was in to see Him and his mother standing there next to my mother. I was actually hoping to see daddy. He left us when I was five and I haven't seen him since. Mother kept telling me daddy will come soon.
I was disappointed that daddy wasn't there to celebrate my first double digit birthday. But I didn't turn back I walked up to get a better look at the guest. He was wearing a light blue tuxedo and his hair combed! It was a miracle to me. Oh, his mother, she looked breath taking! She had on a long argyle dress with her hair pinned up in a bun. I felt foolish wearing only my P.J's that had cartoons all over them. Mother wasn't dressed up either but I still felt out of place, even though it was my own house.
The gifts they gave me, I had kept all these years. I got what people usually get one birthdays. Clothes, toys, money, and more. But the only gift I would forever keep was the gift he gave me. He pulled me aside into the living room, leaving out mother's to talk in the kitchen. And without saying a word or answering my questions about taking me away from my mother, he took out a small box. That stopped me from talking. He handed it to me and I took it from him with such care. It un-wrapped it just as gentle. I opened the tiny box and I saw it. The most beautiful piece of jewelry I had seen in my short ten years. A pears shaped stone one a golden chain. Of course the stone was fake and possibly the chain too but I love that piece of jewelry more than anything.
After I opened the gift I was speechless and that worried him. SO he said "If you don't like it... uh, um... I am sorry" He bowed his head as if he was crying. But I didn't want that to happen
"No, no it's wonderful! I love it! Thank you so much!" I gave him a hug and it felt good. I actually didn't want to let go, but then mother came in and ruined the moment.
But that hug changed our relationship. I didn't mind going to his house anymore. In fact I begged mother to let me go more. Also later when we were both twelve, we were enrolled in the same school. I had all my classes with him which made me happy. His mother requested that we were in the same classes to the principal, and he agreed.
We were like twins now. I ached when he did. He cried when I did and so on. We stuck by each other no matter what.
Even one time during eighth grade when this guy was teasing me, he told that bully off. Unfortunately, it didn't end up to good. He and the bully got into a fight and he got a bloody nose and a black eye. While the bully had a tooth knocked out and a couple bruises.
When the fight was over he was laying on the ground and I cradled his head in my arms and cleaned the blood off his face with my sleeve. He didn't go home, afraid his mother would go ballistic over this. So we stayed there talking and one of his words are still locked inside my brain.
"You didn't have to fight him. You could have gotten more hurt!" I said. He smiled and laughed a short and dry laugh.
"Oh, Marissa, I had to fight. It was the only way he would stop picking on you. And I am alright. I am not crying am I?"
I shook my head. I had to laugh a little. He thought if he wasn't crying, he wasn't hurt. "I owe you, really owe you."
"Just go dating anyone yet. You're not ready I can feel that your not." I scared me a little that he said he could feel that I wasn't ready to date.
I did as he said and declined any dates. All through until the third year of high school I hadn't even been on a date or have I kissed a guy. Neither has he, even though not a lot of girls asked him out. Boys usually asked out the girls in high school.
But then on the third year of high school he asked me out! I thought he was kidding. But he wasn't. He looked so sweet and fragile when he said "Marissa, will go be my date to the movies Friday night?" I knew he had no experience on saying those words and neither did I. But I just whispered a yes and he looked relieved.
That one date was awkward and I knew it would be. To best friends finally dating. But after our third date we got use to being girlfriend and boyfriend. He called me every night. Most girls would find that annoying but I thought it was sweet and I loved it. We dated through high school but then It came time for collage.
Naturally we applied for the same collages but when the letters came to say if we made it or not we got different results. Apparently mother sent Harvard one of y collage applications without me knowing. And i was accepted. I couldn't pass this up, so I had convinced him to try to get into Harvard. And he did but wasn't accepted.
Leaving for collage was the saddest day of my life. I couldn't stand to say good bye to him so I left without saying a word. Once I got to Harvard I buried myself in work. But after a year he sent me an e-mail. It read:
Marissa,
It hurt me deeply when I found out you left. I was mad for a couple days that you didn't say good-bye to me. Then I found out how empty life is now with you gone. Your laughter lingers in my brain, your image is engraved in my heart, and your smile is in my dreams. So I got excepted into a collage near by Harvard. Since we are so close again I want to meet you some where. So on Saturday meet me at the park a block away from Harvard at 6 p.m. If you aren't there my heart will breaking knowing it's over for good between us. I really hope to see you.

Saturday?! That's tomorrow! I hurried around my small room looking for something to wear. When I found nothing good I asked my roommate to help. To my surprise she found the perfect thing that I had over looked. A long light blue ruffle skirt with a white Tee shirt. I decided to wear the necklace he gave me years ago on my tenth birthday. It seemed like the natural thing to do.
The next day I arrived at the park at 5:30 p.m. I was very nervous on meeting him so I thought a walk would do me good. About five minutes into the walk, someone fell in step with me. Then a deep voice I know so well said "Couldn't wait to see me again, huh?" I turned and flung myself into his arms. He looked as handsome as ever. He did seem more tired though. I apologized about a hundred times for not saying good bye to him. We talked and talked until I noticed It was 9 p.m and I had to get back. As i started to leave he grabbed my arm to pull me back to him.
"Before you go," he said "I have to ask you something." He pulled me down on a park bench and he sat beside me as he continued, "Marissa, life is horrible without you now.I miss you too much and can get no work down. SO I must ask you this. We are both smart enough to get jobs, right? We can support ourselves even without finishing collage."
"What are you saying?" I asked
"I am saying. Marissa," He pulled out a box from his back pocket and knelt to the ground. Butterflies flew around like mad in my stomach. " will you marry me?" there it is a ticket to all the happiness life can offer. And now people started to turn and watch waiting for my answer.
" Of course I will!" And when he got I I ran into his waiting arms as people clapped. "Now I need to ask you something," I said near a whisper, and still in his embrace, "Will you still love me through the night and into the morning? When I need you the most, will you be there holding me? When I need a friend more than a husband, will you be that friend for me? And will you still feel love for me when I am old and can't give much?"
His smile was charming and we were both crying then he said "Of course I will." And that's where we kissed and everyone cheered.

Runner242 GOLD said...
Runner242 GOLD, Rochester, New York

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Dumbledore

i loveeee thiss!! keep writing!

contrygurl BRONZE, Sanbernardino, California

to love and to be loved is lifes greatest joy

Ur welcome

beccabex24 said...
beccabex24, Searingtown, New York

Be who you are and say who you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

that wassss sooooo cute!!!!!!

thanks! means alot!

So wat about spelling mistakes this was a great story! keep up the great work!!!!!!!

thank you i reread it after submitting it and realized the spelling mistakes :(

natygrace1217 PLATINUM, Jefferson, Maryland

trying is failing, doing is succeeding.

that was soooooo adorable! i loved it a lot