My Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Friend

By sketchette15 BRONZE, La Salle, Colorado
sketchette15 BRONZE, La Salle, Colorado

'As our circle of knowledge grows, so does the circumference of wonder around it.' - Albert Einstein

Im one of the guys at heart, an original tomboy, don't wear makeup, don't wear dresses, skirts, or anything pink. My best friend is Jon, the guy next door, we've been buds since before time. we've really got noone else but each other, my parents are too busy fighting to pay attention to me. His dad isn't in the picture, so his mom is at work 24/7. I'm over there practically always, I don't have much, but what I do have is over at his house. My bed hasn't been touched when compared to how much i sleep on his couch. Now we've started high school. Everything changes in high school, people do drugs, people get jobs, people have.. you know. We keep each other on the straight and narrow, being christians and all, but he is chasing girls and guys are crawling after me because I kicked them in their junk. Jon may be the only guy that can take me on, and can keep me from breaking noses. I really needed his strength as restraint when Derek came along, Derek found me and swept me off my feet, that is, until he found Brittany. It took all of Jon's manpower to keep me from killing them both, then I ran, to the field behind the school, and collapsed on the dew covered grass, tears trickling down my face and falling on my Donovan McNabb jersey. I sat there, bawling for what seemed like forever, until i heard the sloshing of shoes coming toward me. My tears of sadness turned to tears filled with anger as Jon kneeled beside me and rubbed my back. i swung at him, hit him once, but then swung at nothing but air because he knows to keep out of range when I go psycho. When i finally couldn't lift my arms, I fell to the ground and turned sad and sobbing again. Jon came and put my head on his lap. He hummed 'I Can Only Imagine' while he stroked my hair and I cried in the knee of his jeans. When I calmed, he scooped mee up like a baby and carried me to his car where he took me to his house,(my parents were going at it like none other) and laid me in his bed. He went downstairs and slept on the couch. The next morning, I went downstairs and he was sitting at the kitchen table playing with the teabags in his cup and singing 'Mary, Did You Know?' to the birds on the feeder outside the window. I was glad his mom had already made coffee, and when I stepped into the kitchen, he jumped up and made me a cup, still singing. I sat down across from him at the table and hummed along to his singing in between sips of my cup full of french vanilla caffiene. When the song finished, he asked how I was feeling. I smiled and said "fine." but my entire body felt shattered. He knew I was lying, but he also knew why so he smiled and got some more tea. We talked about what happened as he made breakfast, and before we ate, he grabbed my hand," I'll always be here for you. You know that, right?"
"Sure."
"I have fallen for you, Brooke, and I'm not going anywhere. I love you." His hand tightened around mine as if I was going to float away. He said he loved me, he actually said it. At that moment, he wasn't the kid who made mud pies and snowmen with me, he was the beautiful green-eyed guy that I couldn't live without. He still is my best friend, but he's so much more too.

Based on a true story. My story.

sketchette15 BRONZE, La Salle, Colorado

not actually from my life, it was adream that seemed so real.