EC+AM=4ever Chapter 40 | Teen Ink

EC+AM=4ever Chapter 40

By TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois

He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

9:30 a.m.
Evalynne’s House

My entire body was shaking with nerves. It was the morning of my wedding day and I had just woken up. I took a deep breath and climbed out of bed, walking downstairs to the kitchen.

“Hi, Mom,” I said when I saw her sitting at the kitchen table, sipping her daily cup of coffee.

“Hi,” she replied, grinning up at me. “How nervous are you?”

“Extremely,” I confessed. I sat down next to her at the kitchen table and let out a deep sigh. “I don’t know if I can do this.”

“Evalynne, you’re getting married today. You can’t just back out. You’re marrying Ash because you love him, right?” I nodded in response. “Ok, well then there’s nothing to be worried about. If you really love him than this is definitely the right thing to do.”

“Ok,” I said, hoping she was right.

“So, did Kristy ever get back to you about whether or not she’s coming?” Mom asked.

“No, but she doesn’t need to. I know she won’t come.” I looked down at my hands, which were clasped, resting on the table.

“She’ll come around. You’ve been friends with her for how long?”

“Since kindergarten,”

“Then she’ll definitely come around.” She smiled at me in reassurance, but I was going to need more than just a smile to believe that.

I’d seen the look in Kristy’s eyes when I was leaving her house the day I broke up with Cole. It was hurt, betrayed, let down, disappointed. I wasn’t sure if she was ever going to forgive me, but I hoped with all of my heart that she would.

It was one o’clock as I was stepping into the simple white dress my mom and I had picked out the previous week. The dress was a halter top with an empire waist and reached just past my knees. It was elegant and unadorned and not too fancy. It was perfect.

After I had the dress on, I took a look at myself in the full-length mirror on the back of my closet door. A small gasp escaped my throat. I actually looked beautiful. The dress was soft and silky and flowed down past my knees in refinement.

I bit my lip, admiring the dress that I’d be wearing when I pledged my heart to Ash. I stepped out of my room and walked down to my living room, where my parents were waiting for me.

The second Mom got a glimpse of me in the dress, her eyes filled with tears and her hand flew to her heart. “Oh, honey, you’re so beautiful!” she cried.

I smiled, “Thanks Mom, but you really don’t have to cry. It’s just a dress.”

“I’m sorry.” she said, composing herself.

“Dad…what do you think?” I asked him.

He stared at me for a moment before he replied, “You look beautiful.”

His opinion meant the world to me, so when I heard those words escape his mouth, I felt my heart melt. “Thank you,” I replied, hugging him tightly. He stroked my hair gently as his strong arms wrapped around me.

“You’re welcome.” He pulled away from our embrace and I took a small step back.

“Ok, Mom, it’s time to do my hair and make-up.” I announced.

She nodded in response and followed me upstairs.

It was time. Everyone had arrived at the park, all standing around the tree that Ash and I had claimed as our own. Leading up to the tree was a long white carpet. There were a few seat set up on either side of it for the few guest that were attending. Well there was actually five seats set up. However, only three of them were occupied at the moment. By my mom and Kristy’s parents. The seat that was meant for Kristy was vacant.

As was the seat for my dad, but only because he was currently standing beside me, behind the white curtain that had been set up at the head of the carpet. There were two white pillars with a rod attached to them set up. The curtain was hanging from the rod above my head.

Ash was standing up at the front of the ceremony with the priest. There was also a console piano that had been painted white up at the front along with a piano player from the church that was sitting at it, attentive and ready to begin.

I on the other hand, was nervously waiting for the piano music to start up, cuing the moment in which I was supposed to step out from behind the curtain and walk down the aisle with my father. And then I heard it.

The piano started up and my mom, who was currently standing next to the curtain, pulled the curtain back for me to walk through. I took one step onto the aisle and as soon as I did, met eyes with Ash.

He looked awestricken at the sight of me in my dress, with my hair hanging in loose curls around my face, which had been touched up with make-up until Mom decided it was wedding-worthy. And he didn’t look too bad in his black tux either.

My dad and I began taking steps in time with the music until we reached the front of the ceremony. “I love you,” Dad whispered to me as he untangled his arm from mine.

“I love you too,” I whispered. He smiled and took his seat. Then I stood in front of the Father Mulligan, facing Ash, smiling at him.

“Hey,” he mouthed.

“Hi,” I mouthed back. He grinned and the priest began speaking.

“Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today in the presence of these witnesses to join Ash Mongolia and Evalynne Carter in holy matrimony, which is commended to be honorable among all men; and therefore – is not by any – to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly – but reverently, discreetly, advisedly and solemnly. Into this holy estate these two persons present now come to be joined. If any person can show just cause why they may not be joined together – let them speak now or forever hold their peace.”

He paused to let whoever needed to “show just cause why we may not be joined together” speak up. I held my breath, waiting for someone to jump up out of their seats and begin going off on how we shouldn’t marry each other. To my satisfaction, the small group of people stayed silent and priest continued.

“Marriage is the union of husband and wife in heart, body and mind. It is intended for their mutual joy – and for the help and comfort given on another in prosperity and adversity. But more importantly – it is a means through which a stable and loving environment may be attained.
Through marriage, Ash Mongolia and Evalynne Carter make a commitment together to face their disappointments – embrace their dreams – realize their hopes – and accept each other’s failures. Ash Mongolia and Evalynne Carter will promise one another to aspire to these ideals throughout their lives together – through mutual understanding – openness – and sensitivity to each other.
This is a beginning and a continuation of their growth as individuals. With mutual care, respect, responsibility and knowledge comes the affirmation of each one’s own life happiness, growth and freedom. With respect for individual boundaries comes the freedom to love unconditionally. Within the emotional safety of a loving relationship – the knowledge self-offered one another becomes the fertile soil for continued growth. With care and responsibility towards self and one another comes the potential for full and happy lives.
By gathering together all the wishes of happiness and our fondest hopes for Ash Mongolia and Evalynne Carter from all present here, we assure them that our hearts are in tune with theirs. These moments are so meaningful to all of us, for “what greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined together – to strengthen each other in all labor – to minister to each other in all sorrow – to share with each other in all gladness.
Marriage is an act of faith and a personal commitment as well as a moral and physical union between two people. Marriage has been described as the best and most important relationship that can exist between them. It is the construction of their love and trust into a single growing energy of spiritual life. It is amoral commitment that requires and deserves daily attention. Marriage should be a life long consecration of the ideal of loving kindness – backed with the will to make it last.”

He briefly paused and turned to look directly at Ash.

“Do you, Ash Mongolia, take Evalynne Carter to be your lawfully wedded wife, to live in the holy estate of matrimony? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor her, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and keep her for as long as you both shall live?”

Ash’s eyes stared into mine, joy and devotion filling them. “I do.” he said. Next Father Mulligan turned to look at me.

“And do you, Evalynne Carter, take Ash Mongolia to be your lawfully wedded husband, to live in the holy estate of matrimony? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor him, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and keep him for as long as you both shall live?”

My throat felt tight, my eyes watery, but I vowed myself not to cry. “I do.” I stated. The smile that spread across Ash’s face at the sound of those two words was like nothing I’d ever seen before. It was more than just happiness, more than relief, even more than love. Mere words couldn’t describe it.

Father Mulligan picked up the two wedding rings that Ash and I had given to him before the wedding and held them up in either of his hands.

“May these rings be blessed as the symbol of this affectionate unity. These two lives are now joined in one unbroken circle. Wherever they go – may they always return to one another. May these two find in each other the love for which all men and women year. May they grow in understanding and in compassion. May the home which they establish together be such a place that many will find there a friend. May these rings on their fingers symbolize the touch of the spirit of love in their hearts”

He handed the ring that was mine to Ash and began talking yet again.

“Ash, in placing this ring on Evalynne’s finger, please repeat after me: Evalynne, you are now consecrated to me as my wife,”

“Evalynne, you are now consecrated to me as my wife,” he repeated, taking my hand and gently sliding the ring onto my finger, but never letting go of my hand.

“From this day forward, until death do us part,”

“And I give you this ring as a pledge of my love and a symbol of our unity,”

“And with this ring, I thee wed.”

“And with this ring, I thee wed.”

He finally let my hand go, the ring now secure and in place. Next it was my turn. The priest handed me the ring which I would be placing on Ash’s finger and I took it, swallowing hard.

“Evalynne, in placing this ring on Ash’s finger, please repeat after me: Ash, you are now consecrated to me as my husband,”

“Ash, you are now consecrated to me as my husband,” My voice wavered a bit, sounding kind of hoarse and all choked up.

“And with this ring, I thee wed.”

“And with this ring, I thee wed.”

“You have pronounced yourselves husband and wife but remember to always be each other’s best friend.
What – therefore – God has joined together – let no man put asunder.
And so, by the power vested in me by the State of New York and Almighty God, I now pronounce you husband and wife.
You may now kiss the bride.”

Ash leaned in, we gently met each other’s lips, and shared a kiss like no other. Because this was the first kiss that was shared by us after marriage. Now we were a whole other couple. Now we were Mr. and Mrs. Mongolia. I was now Evalynne Mongolia.

We both pulled away and piano started up again. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted up off of my shoulders as we walked down the aisle together. I was married to Ash, in love with him, pledged to him, dedicated to him, devoted to him. And the thought of this truly made me feel happy.

For the first time in a long time, I wasn’t worried about deciding between Ash and Cole. For this first time in a long time, I was one hundred percent positive that it was Ash that I was in love with. No one else, just Ash.

“I love you.” he murmured to me as we stepped through the white curtain at the end of the long strip of white velvet carpet.

I looked over at him once we were behind the curtain, and I pulled his lips up against mine, kissing him with passion, with love. “I love you too.”

I love this chapter :) It was so much fun writing the wedding part

Catiestar GOLD said...
on Jun. 30 2011 at 1:11 am
Catiestar GOLD, Clayton, New Jersey

You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground, I'll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds <3

That was sooo adorable. <3 it

TanazMasaba GOLD, Dhaka, Other

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's Heaven on Earth."

---William W. Purkey

this is probaby the only good chapter throughout the whole book so far. Forgive me, im a harsh critic

eileentotheleft BRONZE, Los Alamos, New Mexico

"Perfectly perfect is fine (or so the story goes), but nature left all on her own will make the perfect rose." -Persnickity

The first time in a "long time" that she hasn't had to choose between the two guys? It's been like 3 weeks! No offense (I love youwriting style) but this book is going by waaay to quickly. It's so unrealistic and only relatable if you're <14 years old.

M.S.S. GOLD said...
M.S.S. GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

"WACKADOO!!!" "You made a funny!" "Red Seven! Red Seven!! Red Seh-ven-a!!!" "Swaaaaag!!!!" "Ratchet" "God Said No" "God Said Yes"

Don't take it out! it sounds great...its like a tender moment but also a breather from all that has happened

xXmusicluvr4lifeXx BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
i love ash & all but i just feel really bad for cole :(

ellyncannon PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas

That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
<3

I actually liked when the priest was talking.... I think it added something to the whole chapter.....

I'm really really liking this book so far! You are an amazing writer... =>

ur right about the priest part, now that i read back i think i'm gonna change it and take out that huge paragraph where he talks in the middle of the chapter...thanks for the advice & thanks for reading :)

Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

This was a really cute chapter, however it was the  only one I didn't like. I found that listening to all the priest said was boring. We all have been to a wedding we all know what the priest says. To me listening again just ruined the sweetness of the moment.