That One Night | Teen Ink

That One Night

March 23, 2010
By krazyk GOLD, Modesto, California
krazyk GOLD, Modesto, California
11 articles 5 photos 26 comments

He had been the love of my life. Ben Harris. I had known him for as long as I was alive, and I had admired him since then too.

One dark rainy night, the night of prom to be exact, changed my life forever.

We had gone together, our very first date. It was so special and he made me feel like a real princess. I wore a glittery pink short dress that showed my tan athletic legs and he wore a tuxedo. His straight brown hair fell into place right above his forehead and grazed across, sweeping from one side to the other.

The music blared in our ears, but that didn't even compare to the way our hearts were beating in our chests. Ben held me close and slow danced with me when the DJ played a romantic song, one of the very few played that night. While dancing, he announced to me that he had felt this way for the longest time, since eighth grade, but had been too chicken to say anything because I was too beautiful. How could he have feared rejection?

A couple hours after that moment and we had such a strong connection, all emotions and feelings were out, and we could now be open with each other. I could definitely feel something was going to happen, possibly the best thing that would ever happen in my life. He could be the one.

He offered me a ride home, but knowing how protective my mother was, I knew better than to accept. She would insist on giving me a ride home.

“Well, I really enjoyed tonight, Holly. I’m so glad you came with me. Thank you for the wonderful night,” Ben’s bright blue eyes twinkled while he reached down to kiss me.

He kissed me right in front of everybody and he didn’t even care who saw. How in the world did I deserve this? I felt like I was on fire, but I didn’t want this fire to go out anytime soon.

We slowly pulled apart and smiled.

“Thank you for inviting me. I can tell something will happen between the two of us.”

At home, I peeled off my tight dress, took a shower, and changed into my pajamas. I came out of the bathroom, looked at my pink cell phone and found a text.

‘I love you,’ Ben had sent right about the time I had entered the shower.

Just then I received a phone call from his number while I was about to reply.

“Hello?”

I heard crying. It was a woman’s.

“Hi Holly? This is Leslie, Ben’s mother. I’m sorry but he got into a car crash and he’s not doing so well. He really wanted to see you one last time, can you come by?” My heart dropped and I ran out of my bedroom, no makeup, my hair all a mess, and wearing pajamas. I just didn’t care. I needed to see Ben at least once more.

My mother drove me in record speed to the hospital, but I was stopped by his mother in the waiting room.

It was too late. I had missed my chance to say goodbye.

His mother slipped me a note and said, “He wrote this in his last few moments.”

My dear Holly,

Ever since our eyes met, I had felt something for you. I was young so I didn’t know what it was, but now I do. Holly, I love you. I know tonight might be my last, but if there’s anything I want you to know, it’s that and that I love you. You are the most brilliant girl that I have known, and the only girl I ever wanted.

I do regret one thing. That text that I sent you is what resulted in my accident, but I just couldn’t wait. I wanted you to know, but I was too scared to tell you in person. I just didn’t think we were ready, but I felt if I waited, I would lose my chance.

Holly, please don’t cry and please don’t miss me. You made my life, my world, so much better. You were my best friend and I wanted you to be my wife. I love you so much, but I will see you one day.

You are beautiful and don’t ever settle for a guy who treats you badly because you don’t deserve that. You deserve so much more.

I love you,

Ben

I hugged his mom, without a tear in my eye, and got into the elevator. I sobbed and dropped to my knees for I was alone. How could you met someone one day, fall in love with them, and then have them pried from you just like that? Like they were never there.
I never even got to say that I loved him too.

“I love you!” I screamed because I knew that wherever he was, he could hear me and smile.