MY STORY | Teen Ink

MY STORY

By CreativeGurlll SILVER, Marlborough, Massachusetts
CreativeGurlll SILVER, Marlborough, Massachusetts

never regret a thing cuz everything is meant for a reason

It’s scary when you think you know someone, then they turn around and totally change or so you think that. Turns out it’s the real them. I’m here to tell my story.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

It was dark outside and thundering. I ran up the steps of my dad’s house. He had just bought it for us it was blue with white shudders. It had an old brown door with a window in the middle. All the lights were on as I approached. My parents had recently divorced due to my dad drinking and abusiveness towards my mother. The only reason I had ended up staying with him was that he never once had hurt me. I opened the door and hung up my coat and took off my shoes. The house seemed very quiet more than usual. This shocked me, usually it was loud with the sounds of the TV or radio, but not tonight. That’s when I heard a loud crash from the kitchen. I ran towards it and I saw my dad standing over a broken liquor bottle.

“Omg, are you alright?” I asked hoarsely.

“You where have you been?” he asked angrily.

“I told you that Christina had that party tonight, remember?” I said confused.

“NO! YOUR LYING TO ME! WHY DO YOU ALWAYS LIE TO ME?” he yelled pushing me into the wall.

“I’m not lying I swear. Your hurting me.”

“NO ALL YOU DO IS LIE!” he kept screaming. Then he hit me and I fell to the ground.

“Dad, wh…” he hit me again. “ Dad please it me Kristen. STOP!” I yelled. Then he looked down and shook his head. He slowly got up and walked away. I got up and realized my nose was bleeding. I ran past him and locked myself in the bathroom and just cried. That was the first time he had ever hit me. I was so scared. Then there was a knock at the door I jumped up. Then there was another knock.

“Who is it?” knowing the answer.

“Honey, its me, I’m so sorry, please come out.”
I hesitantly opened the door, he was standing there his eyes pain stricken.

“Yeah, I.. I’m going to bed. Good night.” I said as I quickly passed him. I went in to my room and shut the door.

The next morning I got up and looked in the mirror. My left eye was kind of swollen. I was afraid to go to school, but I went anyways. When I entered the school I got some very odd looks. I felt horrible. I walked slowly to my locker, and when I reached it I tried to pull it open and it was stuck, so I really pulled and it opened and smashed into my face causing me to fall back and land straight on my back. I hit my head pretty hard and when I opened my eyes I was astounded to see the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. They belonged to someone I had never seen before. He grabbed my hand and pulled me up. Then he spoke and I though I was going to faint.

“There is nothing to look at, keep on moving.” he said to everyone. By then I had turned back towards my locker, not wanting him to see my face.

“Are you alright?”

“Umm… yes I am alright thank you.” I said as he turned me around to face him.

“Oh my, your eye. That’s not from the locker is it?” he asked in his deep, yet soft caring voice.

“I have to go.” I said and when I went to move I hadn’t realized till this second that, that whole time he was holding my hand. I pulled it out slowly and started to walk away. The rest of the day I could hear people chatting about my eye and the locker incident. By the end of the day I was so relieved to get on the bus and go home. I took a seat at the back as usual and was staring out the window when I felt the other half of the seat move downwards. Out of the corner of my eye I saw his face looking at me.

“My name is Seth if you were wondering.” I looked over to see him smirking.

“My name Kristen if you were wondering.”

“Actually I was, can you read my mind.”

“You figured out my little secret, I hope you don’t tell anyone.” I was trying to play hard to get and it was working.

“Yeah, so are you gonna tell me what happened to your eye or what?”

“Well, your straight to the point now aren’t you.”

“Well…”

“I walked into a door last night, nothing big.”

“Hmmm…”

“What?”

“Oh nothing.”
For the remainder of the ride we were both silent. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him looking at me from time to time. His eyes were the perfect mixture of blue and green. He was also tan and his shirt outlined his muscles on his arms. Then the bus came to a stop. I went to grab my bag, but he had already grabbed it and pointed with his hand to lead the way, so I did. We got off the bus and took a left. When I asked for my bag, he told me that he would carry it for me.

“Why are you being so nice, I mean you don’t even know me.”

“Yeah, well you strike me as a very caring and trustworthy person.”

“Yeah.”
We walked in silence till we reached my house.

“Well this is me.”

“ Ok, I will see you tomorrow then.”

“Yup, I guess you will.”

“And hey do me a favor?”

“Depends on what that is.” I asked as he handed over my bag.

“Don’t walk into any doors tonight.” he said, then he smiled the cutest smile I had ever seen.

“I will do my best, and thanks for walking me home.”

“Anytime.”
With that I turned and walked up to the door. Before I opened it I turned to smile one last time and he returned it and started down the street. I opened the door and shut it and rested my head on it. I couldn’t believe this was happening to me. It was great.

“Who was that?” asked my dad from the kitchen doorway. He was holding a beer bottle, I’m assuming his tenth by now.

“He was a new boy at school that’s it.” I said watching my words carefully.

“Hmm… He’s likes you.” he said taking a swig of his beer.

“No, he doesn’t.”
He started walking towards me and I went stiff. He came and got right into my face. I could smell the alcohol on his breath as he spoke.

“Don’t Lie to Me.”

“I… I’m not.”

“Do I LOOK STUPID?” he yelled bang his fist on the door. I jumped and replied.

“No, of course not. Your right.” I said my voice shaky.

“I don’t want you to see him EVER AGAIN. GOT IT.”

“But he’s just a friend.”
That’s all it took to get him riled up I should have known better than to even have argued.

“LISTEN TO ME! And listen good. YOU NEVER TO SEE HIM AGAIN!”

“But…” then I hit the ground. I felt a strong pain in my abdomen after I hit the ground. Then everything went black.

I awoke two hours later in my bedroom. I slowly got up feeling the pain in my abdomen area from earlier. I clutched my abdomen as I left my room. I peered out the side window and noticed that my fathers truck was gone. I sighed with relief and it hurt so badly. I went downstairs and grabbed my coat and put on my shoes, I grabbed my bag and walked out. I had no idea where I was going, I thought about going to the doctors, but they would ask too many questions and I couldn’t betray my dad no matter what he did. So I walked the opposite way and just walked. Then about a mile or two away from my house I came to an empty playground. My abdomen hurt extremely badly so I decided to go lay on the slide. It was the kind that had a cover over it so it kept it dry. I crawled up inside and fell asleep, clutching my stomach.

“Hey, hey come on wake up.” someone said shaking me lightly.

“Mmm… where am I?” I asked hazily

“Hey sleepy head.”

“I…?” I said I slowly began opening my eyes. That’s when I realized I was very warm. Warmer than I had been, when my eyes finally focused they were focused on the warm chest I was being clutched to. I pulled away and looked up and Seth’s eyes met mine.

“Hey would you mind telling me what your doing out here in the freezing weather?” he asked sincerely.

“I don’t know. All I remember was being at my house and…” before I finished that sentence I had a memory of the incident with my father and I stopped myself. I looked up into his awaiting eyes and finished. “ Now I’m here with you. “

“Well we should get you home.”

“NO! I mean my dad is out of town and I don’t want to be alone I will call someone to pick me up .” the fact was I really didn’t want to go home and I would call someone to pick me up.

“No way I’m not leaving you alone at night in a park. Your going to come and stay at my house.”

“Wha… I can’t do that, your parents.”

“I live with my mom and sister. You’ll be fine.” he helped me get up and I started to shiver. He pulled me into his arms and we walked back to his house. It wasn’t that far from mine, but still. We walked inside and he took off his jacket and hung it up with the others. The house was quiet and peaceful. As we approached what looked like the kitchen/ dining room two women sat there talking. They looked up and the older women spoke first.

“Honey, where have you been? Oh whose your friend?” she asked with a smile.

“Oh this is Kristen, Kristen this is my mom Kate and my sister Alex.”

“Hi” I said nervously.

“Do you mind if she stays here , because her dad went out of town and no one can take her in?”

“Well, I guess if its ok with Alex.”

“Yeah, sure it will be a slumber party. Are into that kind of stuff?”

“Yeah I am actually. I haven’t done this in a while.”

“Well, now that we have that settled, are you hungry Kristen?” she sounded so sweet, and caring.

“Umm… no I ate before I left my house, but thank you.”

“Ok, well if you get hungry just help yourself. I will be in my study, I have so much work that is due tomorrow its not even funny.” she said with a chuckle. She was so easy- going. With that she got up and walked over to Alex kissed her lightly on her head and then did the same with Seth.

“Good night, you two and good night Kristen.” she said then she disappeared.

“Well, I’m gonna go to my bedroom, Kristen just come up whenever your ready to start the party.” said Alex as she got up and put her plate in the sink and exited.

“So are you sure your not hungry?” asked Seth doing his mom and his sisters dishes.

“Yeah positive. Your family seems sweet.” I pointed out. “ where’s your dad? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“No its ok.” he said turning around and taking a seat next to me. “ he was abusive at times and my mom and him decided it would be best for me and Alex if we just left him. So we did.”

“I’m sorry.” I said sincerely.

“Its not your fault, but thanks.”

“Actually I’m kinda tired do you mind bringing me to your sisters room?”

“Sure.” he shut off all the lights and then something smooth reached out and grabbed my hand it was his hand. He pulled me up the stairs and stopped me at the first door on the right.

“Well this is it, I will see you in the morning.” he said and he hugged me I cringed away feeling the pain in my abdomen again. “ did I do something wrong?”

“No my stomach hurts that’s all.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, well good night.”
With that he turned and entered the room one down on the left. I turned and knocked on the door.

“COME IN.” she yelled over the music.
I walked in to a pink and purple room. It was a pretty big room bigger than mine for sure, by then she had turned off the music.

“Hey, so you will be on the top bunk and I will take the bottom. Unless you want the bottom.”

“No, no the top is fine. Thank you. Your brother is very nice.”

“Yeah, he can be a real jerk. Ha, he was a pain in the butt when we were little. I mean we were twins so…”

“Wait your twins?” I asked curiously.

“Well fraternal, yes”

“That’s so cool.”

“Yup I guess.”
With that we both climbed into bed and within minutes I was asleep.

"I was watching Oprah about abusive relationships and I ahd an urge to write about one, but I usually write about love so Im trying to put both in."

loveislife said...
oh my goodness this is an amazing story is there more to it? i can connect with the characters very well!!! nicely done!! keep writing.