EC-AM=Heartbreak Chapter 17 | Teen Ink

EC-AM=Heartbreak Chapter 17

By TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois

He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

7:00 a.m.
Dunkin Donuts

“Ooh, I haven’t been to Dunkin Donuts in like, three months.” I said as we rolled into the parking lot. “They’re coffee is so good.”
He didn’t respond to this. He just stepped out of the car, slamming his door intentionally this time. Unsure of why he was acting like this all of the sudden, I got out of the car too, following him up to the front door of the small eatery.
“Hey, are you ok?” I asked him.
“Why wouldn’t I be?” he remarked, his tone a bit livid. He opened the front door and stalked inside.
“I don’t know.” I replied. “It’s just that you seem kind of angry all of the sudden.”
“Why would I be angry? I have no reason to be angry.” he said, keeping his tone even, without any distinguishable emotion.
“I have no idea who you’d be angry. That’s kind of why I’m asking, because you just totally had a bipolar moment. Before we got here, you were all happy and joking around, and now you seem kind of…bitter.”
“What do you want to order?” he asked me, as if he hadn’t even heard what I’d just said to him.
“A small coffee and a regular bagel with cream cheese is fine.” I responded, trying to sound as impassive as possible. But my voice wavered nonetheless.
“Hi, I’ll take two small coffees and two regular bagels with cream cheese.” Will said to the cashier standing behind the counter.
“Nine-twenty-four.” the cashier replied flatly, eyeing Will’s hair and clothes disdainfully. His nametag read Josh, and he looked about my age. I had to admit, he was pretty good-looking. His blonde hair was perfectly styled in a spiky hairstyle, kept in place with hair gel. And his eyes were a beautiful shade of cerulean blue that reminded me of the ocean. And looking into his ocean-like eyes, I was reminded of the trip Cole and I had taken to Marconi Beach.
I blinked a few times, trying to clear that memory out of my system. I was resolute to pretend like that had never even happened, but it was pretty difficult to block out an event like that.
Will handed him a ten dollar bill, and Josh handed him back his change. Then he walked away to prepare our order, and I turned back to Will, determined to figure out why he was acting so strange. “So, is there any particular reason that you’re so bitter all of the sudden?” I inquired. When he didn’t answer me, I decided to push him a little farther. “Maybe it had something to do with that picture in your car?”
This seemed to have struck a nerve, because instantly, his complexion went sallow and his eyes widened just a bit. “Here you go,” Josh said, handing will a bag that contained our donuts, along with one of the coffees. He handed the other coffee to me, and when he did, I caught him staring into my eyes.
When I looked back at him, he flashed me a wide, flirty grin. I gave him a weak half-smile in return, took my coffee, and walked over to a table to sit down. Will trailed behind me, and sat down across from me.
“So, are you going to answer me now?” I asked him. “Or are you going to keep on ignoring me? Because you seem to be pretty good at ignoring the questions I ask you.”
“Well maybe you shouldn’t be asking me those questions then.” he retorted through clenched teeth.
“Why? Are there certain questions that are out of your comfort zone or something?” I demanded.
“Maybe there are,” he shot back.
“Really? That’s funny, because you seem to have no problem asking me personal questions. You asked me about my wedding picture, about my husband, about why I flew to Michigan. And now you expect me not to ask you any personal questions?”
“If you have a problem with the questions I’ve asked you, then don’t answer them. That’s what I do when I have a problem with the questions you ask me.” he replied.
I sighed, realizing that he was right. I didn’t really have a very good response to that, since he’d just proved his point. “Well, maybe I’ll stop answering the questions you ask me then.” I threatened.
“Ok,” he replied nonchalantly. I took a sip of my coffee, irritated with his calmness. It was good to be calm, but he was too calm. It drove me crazy. “That cashier’s coming over here.” he stated. “I’m guessing he’s going to act like he’s cleaning or something, casually make conversation with you, and end up trying to get your number.”
I looked from Josh, who was now heading in the direction of our table, to Will. “And why do you assume that he’s coming over here for my number?” I queried.
“Because I saw the way he looked at you when he handed you your coffee.”
“Well, I don’t think he’s going to ask me for my number.” I told him. “A guy like that has to have a girlfriend.”
“What do you mean by ‘a guy like that’?” he asked me.
Instead of responding, I ignored him. Now he would experience the annoying sensation of being ignored. But it didn’t seem to faze him. He just looked back in Josh’s direction, as if he’d never asked the question in the first place. Sighing, I also watched Josh as he came over, washcloth in one hand, spray bottle in the other, and began scrubbing down the table next to ours. He glanced up looking out through the window, and casually said, “Nice day out today, isn’t it?” He looked over at me, and I knew his comment had been directed at me.
“Um, yeah, it’s pretty nice out.” I replied.
“It’s good to finally see the sun. It’s been so dark and gloomy out lately; I was starting to think that the sun would never shine again.” He laughed softly at his own joke, if you could even call it that. I could tell it was just a desperate attempt to make conversation. “Well, I would hate to see a day like this go to waste. If you’re not busy later, maybe we could meet up. Go for a walk or something. Enjoy the sun while it’s out. If I could just get your number…”
Will smirked at me, his face smug. “Um, I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” I replied, my tone apologetic.
“Oh,” he said, eyeing Will, “I see. I’m so sorry. I had no clue that you two are together.”
“Um, no, we’re just friends.” I informed him, blushing.
“Oh,” Now it was his turn to blush, because he realized that he’d just been turned down. And not because I was with someone else. With this comprehension, he turned and walked back behind the front counter.
“I told you so,” Will gloated, beaming.
I frowned at him, “Whatever,” I murmured.
“Don’t be sad because you were wrong. It’s ok that you don’t have mad psychic skills like me.”
“Mad psychic skills?” I disputed.
He nodded, “Oh yeah,”
I raised an eyebrow doubtfully. “Face it, you just guessed and got lucky.”
“Are you doubting my mad psychic skills?” he inquired.
“I’m afraid so,” I replied.
“I can’t believe you. Hating on my mad psychic skill like that? It’s despicable!” he cried, finally back in his normal, joking mood.
I chuckled lightly, “Well I’m sorry for my despicability,” I said, grinning at him.
“You should be.” he remarked solemnly. This was much better. Both of us talking, laughing, teasing each other. This was the Will I liked. And it almost made me forget about the other side of Will I’d seen. The side I didn’t like. I just hoped that I’d never have to witness that side of Will again. But deep down inside, I knew I would.

:)

samwich7 said...
samwich7, No, New York
In the first line, 'they're coffee is so good', that's grammatically incorrect. Sorry- I'm a grammar freak!!

freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida

"Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door." ;)

EWWW NO!!!! Cole is the biggest most pervertive Jerk in the ENTIRE WORLD! I love Will!

StormyNight said...
StormyNight, Yucaipa, California

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die!

I agree!!  Will is getting annoying! TEAM COLE

yeah i think that lots of authors do that for symbolism :)

ilove2read124 GOLD, Dix Hills, New York
haha thts smart do u think thts the same reason authors do it in books?

lol no i did it purposely haha :)

ilove2read124 GOLD, Dix Hills, New York
oh, thats a good way to put it, did you do that purposly?or just randomly thought of it and it fits?haha good job though =]

yeah that's because every since ash walked into her life and fell in love with her she's loved the idea of having a guy there so she's pretty dependant on guys and feels kind of lost when she doesn't have one there lol :)

ilove2read124 GOLD, Dix Hills, New York
i am sorry, but i am kinda getting a little sick of how she like checks out every single guy then like starts to like them, i mean really?

on Jun. 4 2010 at 10:04 am
firelilly4 BRONZE, Bakersfield, California

“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”

IKNEW IT !!!! Will is just like ash he is nice and lovable one second , then turns in to a crazy person WTH!!!!!! team COLE