With You | Teen Ink

With You

By redz14 SILVER, Bridgeton, New Jersey
redz14 SILVER, Bridgeton, New Jersey

It was August 28, 2005. It was your birthday. The day we decided to go find our own happy place. We were walking hand-in-hand and I purposely synchronized our steps to fall at the same time and on the same foot. We weren’t wearing shoes so when our feet touched the stones I flinched with pain. Somehow, you managed to keep your feet on the ground and not react to the stones. It was raining. Actually, it was more like a hurricane. Together we had to walk through harsh winds and insane sleet drops. There were cuts across my face, because the rain was so strong. Only I would be the one to forget a hoodie.

You stop dead in your tracks when we reach our destination. We were standing on a cliff looking down at the waves crashing onto the cold rock. You were still looking down with no fear but, I had to look away. I had to see your face. Your crystal blues eyes and your three little freckles on the bridge of your nose. After a while I could feel my hand sweating so I quickly snatched it away. Instantly, as if your morning alarm for school went off you looked at me confused. Unsure, I take the hand that isn’t sweaty, and I rub it through your hair. A smile appears across your face and I realize for the first time I did something right. When I retrieve my hand I find little blond hairs in between my fingers.

“Are you ready?” you speak softly.
Now, I could tell you were holding back. Then I knew I wasn’t the only one afraid.

Instead of trusting my voice I nod. Though, I know that wasn’t the answer you wanted. Oh, the stare that you gave me felt like I was standing on death. Wincing I decide to reply, “I am ready. But, can we end on a good note?”

You didn’t answer me either but, you understood what I was saying. Leaning down, your face gets close to mine and the most unbelievable thing happens. You lick my cheek! I shriek and jolt backwards. It was completely unexpected, but that was definitely a good note to end on so I smiled vigorously.

Smiling back you lean down again and complete the task that was due. It was beautiful; you never kissed me like that. It was impeccable and just right. It was like eating an ice cream cone but the lady gives you an extra free scoop. Or, when you eat your chocolate chip cookie and it’s just right. Crunchy on the sides but gooey in the middle, and the chocolate morsels. There’s a few more than mom intended to have put in there when she baked them.

“I’m really ready now!” I say, I now knew what I was doing.

Our hands reconnect and we stare into each other’s eyes for about two minutes. Then, we gather enough courage to walk. As we go forward I hear birds chirp. “Oh, I so will miss that,” I whisper under my breath but making sure you couldn’t hear me.

Then, just as planned we step off the cliff. Still hand-in-hand and we flail together into the chaotic water. We breech water and the currents do the rest. They pull us under and sway you and me from side to side. I never wanted to let go, I held harder and harder. But, suddenly the world went blank and I could not feel you. Your hand wasn’t interlaced with mine and I was floating away. I was floating away from you. If you could see me fight! If you saw how wild I was going you would be able to see how much I loved you. Then, I became tired and just gave up. Then I decided, you were the one that let go. You were the one that gave up on me. Betrayal struck me so hard, it was excruciating. After a while, I could finally feel myself drift away.

It felt like days until I woke up. I was alive again! Well, that’s what I thought. When I revived, I found myself on the beach in the same clothes I was in the day before. I look around and on the beach no one is there. So, I walk. I don’t even think of the possibilities on how I’m still alive. I numb away all of that and keep walking.

When I finally reached town, I noticed no one was there either. The shopping center was completely shut down. Not even the Wawa was open. The street lights were out but, the sun wasn’t. Looking around I see a newspaper sitting on a bench alone. I run over hoping to get some ideas of what day it was. When I flip to the front page I see it. Well, I actually see us! It was a picture of you and me. They were our pictures we took on picture day at school last year. The headline was: TWO GIRLS WERE FINALLY FOUND; SUICIDE OR MURDER IS THE CASE?

The passage bellow stated: Two girls, Kimberly Jones (picture on the left) and Emilia Tolstoy (picture on the right), were found on the Atlantic Coast Beach. They had been reported missing since August 29, 2005. On September 17, 2005, the girls were found washed up on the beach in cami’s, shorts, and their hands were interlaced. The case is leaning towards that the girls had a conspiracy to drown themselves together. There is open court on October 1st. Column written by Gregory D. Yams

Tears strolled down my face. You loved me! You didn’t let go you held on as hard as I did. A smile stretches to my ears and I just take the newspaper and wrap in a huge hug. I do not know why but I somehow felt free! YOU LOVED ME! If I could I would do a little dance, I would jump up and click my heels together! But, I didn’t, I couldn’t. Instead I sat there on the bench and smiled. Tears still rolling down my cheeks and they were soaking up the paper. Without my realization the sun started to rise. With all my courage I decide to stand. Unfortunately, my knees buckle and I fall to the ground. Then I sit there, calling myself stupid and other rude names until my mouth is too dry to say anything.

An hour goes by, then another. I don’t understand why the sun has not risen yet. I ask myself that question hundreds of times before you show up. You tap my on the shoulder and make me stand. You grab my shoulders and shake me until I smile. Then, you stop. The weirdest look ever appeared on your face. I thought I was growing flowers out of my nose. But then, you slide your hands to my face and slowly pull me to you. You bend down a little and I thought you were going to kiss me but as always you surprise me. You whisper in my ear, “I would never let go, and I would never stop loving you. I love you Kimberly.” She straightens up and I back away. Your face was expressionless. I didn’t know what to do next. So, being wild and daring I grab your hand and take one step forward. Again, that must have been the right thing to do because all you did was smile and kept on walking. We walk away together. Again, we were both bare foot. Again, I purposely synchronized our footsteps. Again, I was with you, Emilia.

I hope people will understand that love will get you through anything. As longs as your with them. With you.

AubreyNicole97 BRONZE, Hardyville, Kentucky

"its better to have loved and lost; than to have never loved"
-unknown

This is really good!!(:

futurenovelista SILVER, Staatsburg, New York

"But I being poor have only my dreams...I place my dreams at your feet. Tread softly for you tread on my dreams." -Yeats

Loved it, exspecially the whole twist ending!

wordjunkie BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

This was really good. the concept is really daring and interesting, and I think with a little more editing this peice could be mind-blowing. try to stay in the same tense ina sentence or paragraph, it's a little confuzing with the dis and the dos and the shes and the yous.

RayBaytheDinosaur GOLD, Hampton, South Carolina

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

It was really touching and I loved the storyline, although when it said two girls I had to go back and reread xD I'd been thinking it was a guy and girl till then but thats okay it was still really good, it just seemed like you switched the mood alot. It would go from emotional and serious to funny and silly in a second which isn't exactly bad, but I guess it was a little strange in the story. Great work though =)

redz14 SILVER said...
redz14 SILVER, Bridgeton, New Jersey
Thank you so much. If you have anything you want me to read just say the word.

xx..PieIsAwkward..xx BRONZE, Godfrey, Illinois

"stap it, rahn"

This was a truly fascinating and great piece of work.

It might be because I love stories about suicide, or that the story was about two girls in love, but I really loved this story. And so beautifully written, as well. The words seemed to flow into one another, some pieces tend to stumble around, most of mine do, but this one just went together very nicely.

I didn't notice any grammatical or spelling mistakes, so all in all, good work. In my opinion, it's publish worthy.

5/5 stars.

Kael96 PLATINUM, Shiloh, New Jersey

"Just a small town girl/ living in a lonely world/ took a midnight train/ going anywhere."
-Journey

This story was incredible. Great twist! I really enjoyed the detail! Great work!