The Things I Learned and The Things I'll Never Forget | Teen Ink

The Things I Learned and The Things I'll Never Forget

By Lover_that_Hates DIAMOND, Reynolds, Georgia
Lover_that_Hates DIAMOND, Reynolds, Georgia

"She was fascinated with words. To her words were things of beauty, each like a magical powder or potion that could be combinded with other words to create powerful spells." From: Lighting(By: Dean Koontz)

“Relationships are over-rated. Loving someone is easier than all that drama. So let’s just…skip that part okay?”
That’s what you said to me on the night of our first date. It had been a great night. One of the best…and strangest dates I had ever been on. You were so different from any boy I had ever met before, and I wasn’t sure how to act around you. When you first asked me out, I didn’t understand what you wanted from me; because I didn’t understand you. After that first night though, I realized that I didn’t have to act around you at all. I could just be me (whoever that is). And it didn’t take long for me to understand you either. You were simple; simply you that is.

You walked me to the front door at the end of the night, and you took my hand, then you said the weirdest thing. The thing I never expected…anyone to say.

“Relationships are over-rated. Loving someone is easier than all that drama. So let’s just…skip that part okay?” I kissed you. Right there on our first date. I would never have done that before that night, but you were different, and that made me different whenever I was with you. Good Different; really good different.

We always talked about the most unimportant things. We always played in the silliest ways. Being with you was like being a in a different world; a better world. When you would kiss me I would feel free. When you would say something…seemingly profound and random, I would just rack my brain trying to figure you out. Were you just trying to be smart? Were you just being a goof-ball? I didn’t get it; I still don’t. I just miss you. I think I’ll be missing you forever: You and all your profound randomness.
Sometimes, I forget things about you. Things like…why you loved Walt Whitman better than Robert Frost. Things like…the few details you remembered about you mother who died when you were young. Things like…the shade of green your eyes turned in the summer sun; so different from their usual baby blue. Sometimes, I try so hard to remember that I begin to cry, and that makes me think of what you would always say when I cried: “Be careful, baby, or you’ll drown the whole world with those tears.” That always made me stop crying.
I miss you, everyday. I forget things about you, everyday
. I don’t think I’ll ever meet someone like you again. And I don’t think I’ll ever love someone the way I loved you. No matter where life takes me—and I’ve learn that life can take you to some crazy places—there are some things I will never forget: Those final words on our first day. Another thing I learn is…you were right…

You taught me that.

"I'm not really sure where this came from, I was just struck with inspiration. That happens sometimes, and this is what I'm left with, soooo here you go. Plez comment.

I know this isn't really a poem, & honestly I cant remember why I put it in the poem section; but anyways thanks lol  :)

alaskatrailmutt, Jefferson, Maryland
That was really moving :) I can only relate to a degree but that was really a amazing poem (it's not one but it is lol) Wonderful 5/5.

CloudWanderer BRONZE, Wheelersburg, Ohio

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

"Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of your true love. If you must steal, steal from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. If you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away."

Excellent! Your writing is so beautiful... very pure and flowy. I'm not usually a poem gal, but this type of writing really inspires me to be otherwise ;) (I guess this technically isnt a poem, but it feels that way)

heatherh said...
Quite moving, U never dissapoint!!