Unsuccessful Summer Goal | Teen Ink

Unsuccessful Summer Goal

By wicked-crazy SILVER, Henderson, Minnesota
wicked-crazy SILVER, Henderson, Minnesota

"If you wait to do things until you know they're right, you'll probably never do much of anything." ~Win Borden

So, I've started off the summer with a plan. My goal is to pretend he aren't there. He doesn't exist. So far, I'm achieving with flying colors. Or at least, that's what I'm telling myself

I ran into him today. I was with a bunch of my girlfriends, he was with his guys. We were centimeters apart, I could smell the wondrous sent that always followed him. He looked at me, I looked at him- despite my best efforts -and I tried to keep walking.

“Um, Tabby, Gavin's following you.” My friend Lydia pointed out.

“Just keep walking guys, I'll catch up to you.” My friend Lydia was our biggest supporter. She thought it was ridiculous that we both liked each other, but neither of us would do anything. I told her that it was all up to him. They kept walking and I turned to face him.

“Do you need something?” I asked, snippy.

“You haven't talked to me in three weeks.” He stated. No crap, I was sick of it. Sick of all his B.S.

“Thanks Captain Obvious, I hadn't realized. You know, maybe if you had made an effort to speak to me, this wouldn't be happening.”

“Why are you angry with me?” He asked, looking a little put out.

“I'm not.” He left go of the arm he had grabbed somewhere throughout the conversation and I walked away. I caught up to my friends and we laughed and had a great time. I was walking home alone in my small town, about a block from where we ran into each other. I was perfectly fine until multiple hands grabbed me, covering my mouth. Oh God, I was going to die, wasn't I? I panicked and kicked and screamed, trying to get away. I was then blindfolded and put into what seemed like a car.

I was uncovered, let go, and my blindfold was removed. I looked around to see my friend Nolan in the front seat, his friend Jake in the passenger seat.

“What in the world is going on here?” I said, loudly.

“Uh-uh, can't say, Gavin told us not to.” Nolan said. I groaned. I looked at my cell phone and texted Lyd so she knew I was safe, though I wasn't so sure myself.

“No no no, Tabitha Anne, give me the phone.” Jake said. I handed it over and continued to pout in he backseat. Finally the car stopped.

“Alright, Tab, we have to put the blindfold back on.” Nolan said. They did, then they lead me around for a few minutes before stopping and another pair of hands were on my waist.

“Thanks guys.” I heard Gavin say. Then he proceeded to remove my blindfold. We were standing in an open area of woods, he was staring down at me, his blue eyes shining, his face looking a bit nervous.

“What in the hell are you doing? You know, I've purposely been avoiding you the last three weeks, and I'd been doing great. I don't need you pulling me to a freaking woods in the middle of nowhere! I'm sick of you and your attitude. So, if you would please, get me back home, and away from you!” I screamed at him. I felt...good.

“I'm not okay with that! You are my best friend, and now suddenly, I'm nothing to you!” He said, looking super upset. I wasn't going to let him make me feel guilty.

“And I'm not okay with that! I'm not okay that I'm only your best friend, so excuse me for trying to get over you! Excuse me for getting a clue and realizing that I'll never be more to you. I need to move on, Gav, and I know it's hard for you to understand, but I want to be happy. Not following you around like a lost puppy for the rest of my life.” I noticed then that I was crying. Why was I crying? It's not like he was worth it.

“That's what you think? Honestly.” He scoffed, as if I was the stupidest person in the world. I just looked at him, raising my eyebrows. “Tab, I don't think I can stress this enough. I love you. I need you in my life. You are everything to me, and the fact that you didn't realize that I've been waiting for you...it makes me feel like the biggest jacka** in the world.” He told me. He was leaning over me, looking upset. I sniffled a little bit.

“Gav...” I started, but trailed off as I saw him leaning in to kiss me. We kissed and I smiled.

We continued kissing until a flash went off. We pulled away to see Nolan, Jake, and Lyd standing there smiling with a camera.

Lyd screamed, “It's about d*** time!”

Nolan yelled, “Good job man!”

And Jake, the perv, screamed, “Just remember, protection!” Gavin then let me go and chased him down as I laughed.

“Gavin James! Leave him alone!” I yelled as they passed us again. He slowed to a stop as Jake cowered behind Lydia.

“Hmm...only for you.” He said leaning down to kiss me again. I reached up to his jet black hair and fell into him.

“Okay, ew.” I heard Nolan say, but we ignored him. We pulled away a few seconds later and drove home.

Months later, it was our graduation day. I was blubbering in the 'C' section as Gavin sat directly behind me in the 'E' section. He was massaging my shoulders and I turned to look at him, seeing tears in his eyes on the brink of falling. I was going to college in Washington next fall, so was he, just different colleges.

I just couldn't believe it was all over. My name was next.

“Tabitha Anne Cormick.” Principal Turner said and I walked to grab my diploma. A minute later, I heard Nolan's name. I cheered, then heard Gavin's.

“Gavin James Delano.” He said. I cheered and clapped. He looked and smiled at me.

High school had been a long road. It was fun, it was sad, but mostly, it was about finding myself. I had met Gavin in Freshman year. Lydia and Jake had started dating in Junior year, and I had fallen in love in Senior year.

High school may suck, but I wouldn't want to change a thing.

Yeah, this really sucks, but I was bored.

Yeah right. You have to say that:)

LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

TEGAN this is amazing. (:

Yup. It's a down fall to using the writing program I use, it changes things before you're finished. I noticed it only AFTER I posted. Sorry!:)

At the beginning it says: "My goal is to pretend he aren't there"

Wouldn't it be: "My goal is to pretend he isn't there" ?

just saying :)

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Btw, could you check out and comment on my work?

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
-Randy Pausch

That piece did not suck!  It was really good, nice dialogue and very welll-written.  Great job.  Keep writing!