Three Little Words | Teen Ink

Three Little Words

By kelliejo19 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
kelliejo19 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

"What?" I asked him as I caught him staring me. I wished so badly that I had a compact mirror or something to see if I had food in my teeth, or my hair was suddenly out of control, or(God forbid)I was suddenly not good enough for him anymore. “Nothing." I rolled my eyes and shifted my body on the blanket. "Oh please!" I exaggerated." You don't stare at me then just say nothing when I ask you what you were staring at." There was a pause. The night was a beautiful, clear, cool summer’s night. Stars Twinkled and winked as if just pleading for attention." I want to remember this. You. Everything." He suddenly murmured. As much as he tried not to show it, pain was in his voice and eyes. As if it was a disease, I felt my own throat squeeze and tighten. Taylor was the best thing that had ever happened to me. After I told my parents this, My father and mother just chuckled and said," Honey, you're too young to know what love is!" Ha. As if they did. My mom and dad played an act. All day, every day. Their romance was like this: When they woke up in the morning, mom made a pot of coffee and pecked my dad on the cheek before he headed out to work. At night they'd sit at our table and discuss what they did at work with no emotion what so ever. Then they'd go up into their SEPARATE rooms. They NEVER played with each other, kiss in public, wrap their arms around one another as if they would never let go. Like me and Taylor did. If they would act like lovesick teenagers just once, maybe I wouldn’t judge them so quickly. “Will you miss me?” I asked. He shook his head, trying to lighten the mood. “Hey!” I playfully punched him in the arm and laughed. He suddenly closed my lips with a kiss and when it was over, he smiled(oh, glory! Pearly white teeth) and then, contagious, I smiled too. He slung his arm around me and pulled me towards him, wrinkling the picnic blanket a little. I pressed my head against his white t-shirt and breathed in. I loved the way he smelled. Laundry detergent, candles, and the strawberry shake I spilt on him the day we met. I would always steal t-shirts and sometimes sweatshirts from his closet , and put them on when I was going to bed. I’d fall asleep thinking and smelling him. Occasionally, I wore them to school and strangely, he never asked for them back. Now I have my collection stuffed into my suitcase at home waiting for me. I didn’t want to think about the future. Didn’t want to think about other people. But most of all, I didn’t want to lose this beautiful, simple, thing that wrapped us together like delicate Ivy. “Remember me?” He pleaded his breath hot against my forehead. I lifted my head and murmured,” I could never forget you.” I whispered, running my fingers through his dirty blonde hair that always reminded me of sand and sunshine. “Not in a million years.” Taylor’s Electric blue eyes twinkled love and admiration and I wished that I could freeze moments like a picture, emotion captured in time. I wished that my 18th birthday never came so I could still be with Taylor Instead of heading off in a plane to Julliard Collage for my degree in music. Taylor would still be here, studying for his degree for a doctor. Tears prickled my eyes as I whispered, barely over a breath,” Come see me over Christmas?” He nodded and suddenly the dam broke. “ I don’t want to go.” I cried while Taylor stroked my hair. Soon sobs, turned into sniffles, then I apologized for breaking down. “Don’t be.” He said, stroking my cheeks with his thumb.”I’ll have plenty of tears of my own once you’re gone.” I gazed at him trying to remember the way his eyes shine when he laughs, trying to remember the way his huge, rough hand felt against mine, trying to remember everything I possibly could about this wonderful, Gorgeous man of mine that would be waiting for me. I tried to remember that Taylor Swift song. Stay Beautiful. “ Your beautiful, every little piece, love. Don’t you know? You’re really gonna be someone. Ask anyone. When you find everything you looked for, I hope you life leads you back to my door. Oh, but if it don’t. Stay Beautiful.” Taylor suddenly whispered three words in my ear that could have been a cliché , the way he said them…the emotion that was put behind it… It made me think it was the most original thing in the world. “ I love you.” I looked up at him and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the sun rise. The beginning of our new lives while trying to maintain our old one. Maybe it wouldn’t work out for me and Taylor but for now, I whispered the four words that would always make me think of him. “I love you too.”

This one is for any girl who wishes she'd never grown up. For a girl that dreams about romance and then having everything before it slips out of her hands.

Thanks. :) I see how the shake thing can be confusing. What I meant was his shirt smelled like a strawberry shake. This was my first peice so I know it isn't the best. ;)

Ellawind PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Dream like you will live forever, live like you will die today.

This isn't as polished as your other work seems to be, but I still like it. I like the way the narrator interprets her parents' love life. Adults always tell us that we don't know what love is, but the way you put it... really, who DOES know? 

One structural thing; you might want to break this into smaller paragraphs. Other than that, the only thing I'd change is the strawberry shake thing. How does he still smell like it...? Anyways, great snapshot of their lives. You see more than just this moment- you see their past and many potential futures.

ohdamnitsnico, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
thankk youu ! :))

I already did! And it's AMAZING!! loved it!! it is one of my favorites! great job! :D

ohdamnitsnico, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
okay i will :) can you look at my story "Crashing In" pleaseee && thank youu :)

Thanks!! This is my shortest peice. check out my other article " Annie" for a longer story. :)

ohdamnitsnico, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
this was really good ! i loved it ! :)

No problem. :)

haha thanks Ellen, Oops! I mean kurtzzzyyyy123! lol

This was so good!! i loved it!! great work =D

-Ellen (:

wstanley said...

Loved the article.  I could feel the emotions and they took me back to a time when my emotions swelled.

Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks! :)

Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

"I may be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." - Maya Angelou

"Did you know 'I told you so' has a brother, Jacob?" she asked cutting me off. "His name is 'Shut the hell up.'" - Bella Swan, Breaking Dawn

Really like this -- good job