Three Little Words | Teen Ink

Three Little Words

November 11, 2010
By kelliejo19 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
kelliejo19 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
19 articles 7 photos 48 comments

"What?" I asked him as I caught him staring me. I wished so badly that I had a compact mirror or something to see if I had food in my teeth, or my hair was suddenly out of control, or(God forbid)I was suddenly not good enough for him anymore. “Nothing." I rolled my eyes and shifted my body on the blanket. "Oh please!" I exaggerated." You don't stare at me then just say nothing when I ask you what you were staring at." There was a pause. The night was a beautiful, clear, cool summer’s night. Stars Twinkled and winked as if just pleading for attention." I want to remember this. You. Everything." He suddenly murmured. As much as he tried not to show it, pain was in his voice and eyes. As if it was a disease, I felt my own throat squeeze and tighten. Taylor was the best thing that had ever happened to me. After I told my parents this, My father and mother just chuckled and said," Honey, you're too young to know what love is!" Ha. As if they did. My mom and dad played an act. All day, every day. Their romance was like this: When they woke up in the morning, mom made a pot of coffee and pecked my dad on the cheek before he headed out to work. At night they'd sit at our table and discuss what they did at work with no emotion what so ever. Then they'd go up into their SEPARATE rooms. They NEVER played with each other, kiss in public, wrap their arms around one another as if they would never let go. Like me and Taylor did. If they would act like lovesick teenagers just once, maybe I wouldn’t judge them so quickly. “Will you miss me?” I asked. He shook his head, trying to lighten the mood. “Hey!” I playfully punched him in the arm and laughed. He suddenly closed my lips with a kiss and when it was over, he smiled(oh, glory! Pearly white teeth) and then, contagious, I smiled too. He slung his arm around me and pulled me towards him, wrinkling the picnic blanket a little. I pressed my head against his white t-shirt and breathed in. I loved the way he smelled. Laundry detergent, candles, and the strawberry shake I spilt on him the day we met. I would always steal t-shirts and sometimes sweatshirts from his closet , and put them on when I was going to bed. I’d fall asleep thinking and smelling him. Occasionally, I wore them to school and strangely, he never asked for them back. Now I have my collection stuffed into my suitcase at home waiting for me. I didn’t want to think about the future. Didn’t want to think about other people. But most of all, I didn’t want to lose this beautiful, simple, thing that wrapped us together like delicate Ivy. “Remember me?” He pleaded his breath hot against my forehead. I lifted my head and murmured,” I could never forget you.” I whispered, running my fingers through his dirty blonde hair that always reminded me of sand and sunshine. “Not in a million years.” Taylor’s Electric blue eyes twinkled love and admiration and I wished that I could freeze moments like a picture, emotion captured in time. I wished that my 18th birthday never came so I could still be with Taylor Instead of heading off in a plane to Julliard Collage for my degree in music. Taylor would still be here, studying for his degree for a doctor. Tears prickled my eyes as I whispered, barely over a breath,” Come see me over Christmas?” He nodded and suddenly the dam broke. “ I don’t want to go.” I cried while Taylor stroked my hair. Soon sobs, turned into sniffles, then I apologized for breaking down. “Don’t be.” He said, stroking my cheeks with his thumb.”I’ll have plenty of tears of my own once you’re gone.” I gazed at him trying to remember the way his eyes shine when he laughs, trying to remember the way his huge, rough hand felt against mine, trying to remember everything I possibly could about this wonderful, Gorgeous man of mine that would be waiting for me. I tried to remember that Taylor Swift song. Stay Beautiful. “ Your beautiful, every little piece, love. Don’t you know? You’re really gonna be someone. Ask anyone. When you find everything you looked for, I hope you life leads you back to my door. Oh, but if it don’t. Stay Beautiful.” Taylor suddenly whispered three words in my ear that could have been a cliché , the way he said them…the emotion that was put behind it… It made me think it was the most original thing in the world. “ I love you.” I looked up at him and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the sun rise. The beginning of our new lives while trying to maintain our old one. Maybe it wouldn’t work out for me and Taylor but for now, I whispered the four words that would always make me think of him. “I love you too.”


The author's comments:
This one is for any girl who wishes she'd never grown up. For a girl that dreams about romance and then having everything before it slips out of her hands.