To Good To Be True | Teen Ink

To Good To Be True

November 22, 2010
By puddlejumper SILVER, Averill Park, New York
puddlejumper SILVER, Averill Park, New York
7 articles 1 photo 2 comments

I look up into the sky and notice the tiny stars starting to peek through the upcoming darkness. The sun is slowly setting behind the horizon, and the sky around it is different shades of pink and purple. It blends perfectly with the deep sea blue of the crashing waves. Before I know it, the sun has disappeared completely. I stand up and shake the sand off my jeans, and walk towards the ocean to rinse my feet. Even though we are both eighteen, I still couldn’t believe my parents let me come to California without them. “You ready to head back Molly? Its getting dark.” says Derek. We’ve been going out for about a year now, and this year he decided to take me to the beach as a special treat. “Yeah, I’m ready.” I say, and we start walking back to the house my parents rented for us.

The next morning I wake up and look at the clock. Its only six in the morning but for some reason I can’t sleep any more. I quietly slip down the stairs and start the coffee. I turn on the news, and plop down on the couch. I find a comfy pillow and rest my head on it, and before I know it, I’m asleep.

I’m awoken by Derek sitting down next to me with his strong cup of coffee, and the sound of cheering as the news recap the Giants win during last night’s game. “What’s on our agenda for today?” he asks.
“I’m not sure, you can go surfing again if you want, maybe I’ll stay home and cook and I’ll meet you later?” I suggest. He looks at me with curiosity in his eyes, and I kiss him. He smiles and finally manages to push me away. He seems satisfied with the kiss and decides I’m okay. “Don’t worry, I’m just tired, I didn’t get much sleep last night.”
“”Okay, I’ll see you later then.” he says. I watch him grab his surf board and away he goes. “How did I get so lucky” I think and I watch him walk towards the beach.

After a couple hours of cooking, I decide maybe it would be a good idea to get some fresh air. I run upstairs to get changed and my bag. When I get to the beach I don’t see Derek, this doesn’t bother me though. This beach is huge. I find a bench and just decide to enjoy the scenery. I listen to the children laugh and the waves crash, and I close my eyes trying to imagine something better than this, but I come up with nothing. I open my eyes and see two children building a sandcastle. To their left I see a couple kissing by the ocean. When I see them I begin to miss Derek and decide to set out to find him. As I start walking towards the couple I notice that the guy looks very familiar. He stops to take a breath and looks my way. It’s Derek.

The author's comments:
I love the beach just like the main character Molly. She reminds me of my best friend in a couple of ways.