Never Again | Teen Ink

Never Again

By skyler_anne GOLD, Brewer, Maine
skyler_anne GOLD, Brewer, Maine

"what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger"

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over."

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.” -Pre

“Hey babe. How was hockey practice?” Dylan asked as I climbed into the passenger seat of his car.

“Pretty intense, as per usual.” I reply, cranking the heat. “We worked on our hitting again. Some of the guys still don’t wanna use their body. I even hit more than they do.”

Dylan smiles. “Of course you do. That’s what I love about you. You’re not afraid to hold your own and can take down anyone that’s in your way.” He looks at me, his smile big, showing his breath taking white perfect smile. But then it disappears, scrunching into a frown.

“What?” I ask.

“How’s…what’s his face? Jon?” His grip tightens on the steering wheel as he turns into the school dorm parking lot.

“What do you mean? He’s fine I guess.” What was his problem? Jon was my best friend and has been since we started hockey together at three. We even transferred to this private prep college school on hockey scholarships. He’s basically my brother.

“Well that’s good.” He mumbles.

“What’s your problem?” I ask. “What do you have against Jon?”

“You guys just seem to spend a lot of time together. That’s all.” He’s still obviously upset. I don’t get it.

“Yeah? So? We’re basically siblings. You know that.” I say cautiously.

“That’s all?” Dylan spits out angrily.

“Yeah! Why the heck would there be anything else? What the heck is up with you?!” I start to raise my voice a little.

“What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you?! You’re the one who's planning on cheating, if you haven’t already!”

“I can’t believe you just said that to me. You know I love you and that I would NEVER do something like that!” Dylan’s parked the car and we’re sitting in the parking lot just yelling. Where the heck is he getting all of this? I would never cheat on anyone, especially with someone like Jon. Not only is he like a brother but he’s also just not my type. “Where would you hear such a thing Dylan?” I continue to yell. The tension is suffocating, but I’m not leaving until I hear where Dylan is getting all of this crap.

“Oh just some guy on the hockey team saying that he saw you leave Jon’s place really late the other night. Way past curfew. He asked around and told me that there were some not so innocent noises coming from his room while you were there. Care to explain that?” Dylan is staring forward, still gripping the steering wheel. His knuckles are turning white with the pressure that he’s applying to the wheel.

“What? First of all, you know I was with you studying all week. And second of all, you know I’m waiting until marriage to ever have sex. How could you accuse me of something like that?” Tears were starting to come to my eyes. I hate it when I cry in front of people, even the one’s I loved.

“STOP LYING!” Dylan yelled and raised his hand next to my face.

Pure fear went pulsing through my veins. Dylan was at the school on a football and wrestling scholarship, so he was strong, unbelievably strong. And he knew it. We’ve had fights before, but never had he ever raised a hand to hurt me.

I sat there watching him. His face was red from the yelling and anger. Dylan’s blue eyes were filled with something I’ve never seen in him before, sadness. He lowered his hand.

“I’m not lying.” I say in something that’s barely above a whisper. I got out of the car and started towards my door.

“Carly! Carly! Come back!” I heard Dylan get out of the car and come after me. He grabbed my arm with a strong force and spun me around to face him. I jerked my arm free.

“How could you?! How could you accuse me of cheating? I love you and only you.” The tears were pouring freely now.

“I just didn’t know what to believe. I’ve heard so much.” Dylan was starting to shake.

“I can’t deal with this anymore. I need a break from you Dylan. I’m sorry.” I turned around on my heels and walked off.

Dylan was soon behind me again and turned me around. The hand was there again and it didn’t stop. It’ slapped me across the face. I felt the burning and redness creep up my neck and into the area where he hit me. I could already feel my eye swelling.

“You hit me.” I stated like recalling a fact for history class.

“I…I…I’m sorry Carly. I didn’t mean to.” Dylan tried grabbing for my hand. I jerked it away.

“You jerk! We’re done! You never, ever hit me or any other girl. And for that, I’m going to get back at you.” I walk away, and this time he doesn’t come after me.
*

“You ready?” Jon asks me as we crouch behind a bush in front of Dylan’s dorm building.

“You got the key?” I answer with a question. I’ve been ready ever since he first laid his hand across my face.

“Let’s do this.” Jon winks at me.

We walk across the front yard together, still in our uniform from school. Dylan should be at wrestling practice, if not then I’m there for the stuff I still haven’t gotten from his place. If he’s not there, then that’s a whole different story.

Luckily, there was no one around. Most likely because all of the guys sharing the rooms around Dylan are on the wrestling team also. We enter Dylan’s room with the key that he gave me on our seventh month anniversary. He’s room is the same as it was the last time I was there about two weeks ago, messy. But we can easily find where he spends most of his time when he is home.

In the living space with his Xbox 360.

That’s what were look for, that piece of plastic and metal that means so much to so many guys. The piece of junk that makes it so guys don’t have a life. The piece of junk that Dylan has spent a bunch of money on and the piece of junk that I’m going to destroy.

I walk right over to it and unplug it. Wouldn’t want to get zapped now would I? Then I just rip out the cords from the box all together. I pick up the small hammer and start smashing away. Every hit reminding me of the hit that he gave me. It felt so good to finally be getting out all of the anger that has been building up inside me ever since that night. I loved seeing the splinters of plastic flying everywhere, seeing the dents that I was making. It was great to know that I could get away with this.

When I was done I felt as though a thousand pound weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I felt freed.

I left a note.
Dear Dylan,

You should’ve known this was coming. I warned you too, so don’t be to devastated of the damage. Actually, just think of this as a gift. You can get a life now. Of course, that life should include a girlfriend, as long as you never lay a hand on her like you did me because if you do, and it doesn’t even matter who, I will come and continue the actions that I’ve done tonight.
Love dearly,
Carly
P.S. If you report me, I’ll sue you for assault. Thanks for the understanding. :)

I look up at Jon. “And that is how it’s done.” He says with a smile and a high five.

BrownEyedGirl GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

If life were easy, where is the adventure?
If you never leap, you will never know what it is like to fly.

It is really good.  I love the ending.  It shouldn't have, but it made me laugh a little. 

kelliejo19 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
This is really good!!!! I love it! it is one of my favorites! :D