Once Upon a Homecoming | Teen Ink

Once Upon a Homecoming

By GirlDreamer GOLD, Doraville, Georgia
GirlDreamer GOLD, Doraville, Georgia

“Hold fast to dreams for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.” Langston Hughes

10 PM
Slowly, I got up to get a piece of tissue paper. Urghh, I still felt a little dizzy. I needed some more pain relievers. After I blew my nose, I took two Tylenols.
This is not what I wanted to do on the day of my homecoming dance.
Sick and being stuck at home.
I opened to the third chapter Jane Eyre and began reading to suppress my anguish away. Like the protagonist, I felt the loneliness and unjust of being confined within such limited space.
And then his name came to my mind.
Keith
Last Monday morning, he popped up in front of my locker with his crooked smile and said,
“April, I’m so unpopular, no one wants to go with me to the homecoming dance. Sorry if this is last minute but would you please be my dance partner?”
I laughed and shook my head because I know it wasn’t true. Keith Anderson Carter: Greenwood’s quarter back, the junior prince and nomination for Homecoming King.
“ Hmm.. That’s funny because yesterday at lunch, I heard Chassidy complained that you refused to take her.” I told him.
“ Nah- that’s a different story. She wanted to go with me as a person whom she could take pictures with and tag on Facebook. I wanted a person whom I can dance and converse spontaneously.” I stared at him to see if he holds the truth within his brown eyes with green flecks.
“So what’s the answer?” He asked.
“Maybe.” I mumbled as I turned the dial on my locker. 12.34.7.
“Why maybe?”
“’Cause, you never know-things happened.” It was my turn to smile back.
“M’k, I take that as a yes, I’ll catch you later!” with that Keith took off.

That was days ago and indeed things did happen: I got a cold. I bet now he’s at the dance, ready to be crowned King and tagged on Facebook.
I heard a knock on my door: Pizza Hut delivery. What’s better to spend a Saturday night than to be sick and stuff myself with pizzas? My friend, Matthew, suggested that idea when I told him I couldn’t go to the dance.
Two more knocks from downstairs; I guess the person was getting impatient so I hurried downstairs and opened the door.
“Pepperoni and Cheese and Extra Mushrooms, M’am” A person in red hat said as I took out the money from my wallet.
“Yup and Thanks.” I handed him $20 and quickly closed the door.
Thank God, I was starving. I opened the box and something caught my eye.
***
Get Well :] The pepperoni were arranged into words that spelled these words.
I was shocked, who did this? I’m sure this is no arbitrary Pizza Hut specials.
Then it hit me- Matthew- he told me he has a new job. Gosh, I was so tired I didn’t even bother to look up at the delivery person.
As quickly as I could, I opened the door, trying to catch him.
Matthew was still there.
“You didn’t take back the change. It was only $18.95.” He grinned.
“Shut up! I thought you were going to the dance.”
“Well you weren’t going, so what’s the point?” He said. I smiled, I love my best friend.
Suddenly, his phone rang.
“Look I gotta go- more deliveries, but here’s the medicine- Nyquil- take this later and you’ll sleep like a baby.”
***
After Matthew left, I didn’t eat me pizza. I liked how the pepperoni were arranged, and I didn’t want to ruin it.
Another knock came from the door. Matthew again?
I opened the door. There stood a tall lean guy in black suit and side swept golden hair.
“Keith? What are you doing here?”
This is too much surprise for one night.
Without an answer, he took my hand and walked me out of the front door and around to my backyard. I was confused and numbed.
“Wait.” He said as he lighted 3 candles and laid them on the picnic tables. Then he reached inside his pockets to get out of ipod and speakers. Next, he pressed play.
“You Are My Sunshine
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.”
He wrapped his fingers around mine as the song play. We started to dance side to side.
“I thought you were at the dance.” I said.
“I was but I told you -I wanted to dance with this special girl.” He twirled me around.
“Cliché” I retorted as the song changed.
“There’s only one way two say
Those three words
and that's what I’ll do.
I love you.”
“How did you know my favorite songs?” I laughed.
“I got my resources. You know, there are not a lot of girls these days that listen to country and pop.”
“It’s not my fault people lack taste in music these days.” I said as he put his arms around my waist, and I wrapped my hands around his neck. There were static shocks going through me, and I felt like tiny flames bursting colors.
But then I began to cough and sneeze. My head started to hurt, and I felt sweaty as I break free from his hands.

****
I opened my eyes. Everything was blurry, and I reached for my glasses on top of my bedroom dresser. It was just a dream. I guess I felt asleep after taking the Tylenols and reading Jane Eyre.
I got up to wash my head. My face was still hot from the fever. I looked into the mirror and saw a zombie. There stood a girl with round hollow eyes behind the glasses frame, bony cheeks, and untamed hair. Before I could pinpoint more of my imperfections, there was a knock from the door.
I groaned, do dreams repeat?
I lazily got up and opened the door.
There stood Mathew with a beaming face.
“Oh, it’s you.” I said.
“What? I didn’t go to the dance either. Are you surprised to see me?” He asked.
“Hmm, not at all- trust me I’m psychic. So where’s the pizza?”
“What pizza? I didn’t know you wanted any. But I do have a surprise.” His hands from his back now revealed holding a guitar.
“I finally got a guitar! And thanks for helping me doing the car wash.”
“Uh yeah- how do you think I got sick in the middle of October?” I teased him.
“ Haha- you got it from running in the heat and taking a cold shower after. Anyways, listen to this song from Uncle Cracker.” He sat down on the living room chair and started plucking.
“Uncle what?” I laughed as I sat down and began to listen.
“ You're better then the best
I'm lucky just to linger in your light
Cooler than the flip side
Of my pillow, that's right

Completely unaware
Nothing can compare to where
You send me, lets me know that it's okay
Yeah, it's okay
And the moments where my good times start to fade

You make me smile like the sun, fall out of bed
Sing like bird, dizzy in my head
Spin like a record, crazy on a Sunday night

You make me dance like a fool, forget how to breathe
Shine like gold, buzz like a bee
Just the thought of you can drive me wild.”

GirlDreamer GOLD, Doraville, Georgia

Oh because it was only a dream!

rosebub6200 said...
rosebub6200, Cuyahogafalls, Ohio

The mind is like a parachute, it only functions if open.

i thought it was really good but i got confused once she "woke up"

GirlDreamer GOLD, Doraville, Georgia

please read it and tell me what you guys think