Can You Feel Me Now? (part 3) | Teen Ink

Can You Feel Me Now? (part 3)

By Leona123 SILVER, Kokomo, Indiana
Leona123 SILVER, Kokomo, Indiana

Chapter 4

“Jack, are you STUPID!” Kane screamed after him.
“Sophi!!!” Jack hollered. When he was 5 feet from her, the bus was 3 yards away and was coming fast.
She turned around and he reached out to tackle her. The bus horn blared, as he leaped, grabbed her, and pulled her to the nearest snow bank. She screamed as they fell into the snow. Jack tried to shield her as much as possible from both the snow and the bus. He felt the air speed past them as the bus rocketed to the street.
“Are you okay?” Jack asked. There was no answer. He glanced down at her; her eyes were closed and she was barely breathing. “Sophi? Sophi!!” his heart almost shattered. This couldn’t be happening to him and her. He hadn’t even had the chance to meet her yet and she hadn’t had the chance to live. “Sophi, wake up! Kane! Call an ambulance! She’s not breathing!”
Everyone in the parking lot was there as well as several people from the school and some of the faculty. Kane was fighting his way through the crowded lot.
“Kane!” Jack shouted over the noise, “Call an ambulance! She isn’t breathing!” everyone was suddenly scrambling for their phones. Kane pulled out his iPhone and quickly dialed 911.

“Sophi? Sophi, I, I’m so sorry. I just didn’t want you to get hurt. I just didn’t want you to get run over. I don’t know what came over me. I, just one day, out of the blue, saw you, and I was in love.”
Who is this person? And why is he in love? With me?
“Please, just be ok. I won’t truly be alive unless you are alright.”
Sophi’s eyes flickered as she struggled to gain consciousness.
“Sophi?”
“Who are you?” She asked.
“My name is Jack, Jack Wright. I am a junior at Abraham Lincoln High School.”
“Where am I and how did I get in here?” Sophi wondered.
“You’re in St. Mary’s Medical Center and you were going to get run over by a bus going like 60 miles per hour; I ran to you and pulled you into a snow bank before it could hurt you; but when I looked at you, you were unconscious. I panicked and had people call 911. I didn’t leave your side till we got to the hospital.”
“How long have I been here?”
“You’ve been here for 3 days.” He answered.
“What about my parents.” Sophi asked suddenly worried.
“Oh, they’ve been here several times while I was here, but they had to leave cause of work.”
“What ti…”
“It’s 11:30 am, Thursday.” He answered without her finishing her sentence.
“Then shouldn’t you be in school?” she asked.
“Yeah, but I didn’t want to.”
“Why?”
He paused and thought about it. “Because, it didn’t feel right leaving you here alone.”
“Why?” She asked again.

“Was that answer not good enough for you?” He asked skeptically. She just stared at him. “Fine, I love you and I just couldn’t stay away today.”
“But we’ve never met or talked before now. How can you be in love with me, you don’t even know me?” She puzzled.
“I don’t know either. I just saw you one day at swim practice and …”
“Wait! You’re on the swim team? I had no idea! How long have you been on it? Are you new?” she gushed.
“No, I’m not on the swim team. I’m in track, and I was on my way to the library a few days ago when I saw you.”
“So you are only attracted to me?” she said, hurt creeping into her voice.
“No, it’s not like that!”
“Get out.” She said.
“I can’t stand to be away from you.” He said desperately.
“Stand it.” She said coldly.
“But…”
“GET OUT!” she screamed at him.
He quickly picked up his jacket and hurried to the door. He turned around as he was about to exit.
“Sophi, I’m sorry.” He said and with that, he left.
Why am I feeling like this over this guy? I don’t even know him. She thought. As soon as he had gone, her stomach clenched and her heart felt heavy but empty.

An hour later, a nurse entered the room with an I.V.
“I see that Mr. Wright left, finally.” She said, gesturing to the chair next to the bed.
“What do you mean? Didn’t he just get here?” Sophi asked.
“Oh no sweetie!” the nurse said, surprised. He’s been here since you got here. That would be about, oh, 3 or so days ago.”
“What! Didn’t he change clothes?” Sophi said.
“One of his friends brought him clothes and he showered in the bathroom, and slept in that chair over there. He never left this room.”
“How did he eat?” she asked.
“He didn’t. I asked him why one time and do you want to know his reason?” Sophi nodded. “He said he thought that he killed the love of his life, and that he didn’t deserve to eat.”
“Oh my god. I can’t believe I was so mean to him.” Sophi gasped. “I am a horrible person. I have to apologize.

Chapter 5

“She said what?” Kane said.
“She said ‘get out’.” Jack repeated.
The two guys were jogging side by side in the San Francisco sun on the country road outside of Kane’s home. Heat seemed to radiate off of the dirt path and made them sweat further if that was possible.
“Let’s go in.” Kane said as they got closer to the house. Just as they were bounding up the steps, the large oak doors opened and Kane’s girlfriend/maid, Maria, stepped out holding two bottles of water. “Thanks sweetie.” Kane said as he took a bottle and pecked her on the cheek. “How was your day?” he asked as he slipped an arm around her waist and she handed a bottle to Jack.
“Mi dia es buena. Y a ti?” she asked.
“Muy bien, gracias.” He replied.
“What did she and you say?” Jack asked.
“She said ‘my day was good. And you?’ and I said ‘very good, thank you.’”
“You do not speak Spanish then?” Maria asked.
“Nope.” Jack said. With that he took a swig from his water.
“Let’s go into the living room.” Kane suggested.
“I have to get back to work.” Maria said as they headed in that direction. “Te amo.”
“Te amo tambien. Hasta luego.” He replied.
“What was that?” Jack asked after Maria had gone.
“Nothing.” Kane said as he gave Jack an innocent look.
“Sure.”
“Let’s go.”
And they headed into the other room.
“So,” Kane said as they sat on over-stuffed chairs opposite each other. “Are you still longing to see her?” He asked.
“No and yes. I don’t want to cause her pain, yet, I need to fulfill my need to see her and make sure she is all right. You understand, don’t you? I mean with Maria.”
“Yeah. But aren’t you worried that she will reject you?” Kane wondered.
“Sort of, but that’s all a part of love isn’t it? You love the person even if they reject you over and over.”
“You need some female advice. Maria?” he called as he got up and went to the door. She hurried in a few seconds later. Kane grabbed her around the waist pulling her to him and hugging her.
“You called Kane?”
“Yeah, Jack here needs advice on girl stuff.”
“Sure,” she said. “What do you need to know?”
“Well, there’s this girl I really love, but I think she hates me.” And out came the whole story. Maria nodded and commented at just the right times.
“There’s the whole story. What should I do?”
“You should treat her like a friend and get to know her first of all. Don’t come right out with all the romance, she won’t appreciate it. Take it slow. Learn her likes and dislikes.” Maria suggested.
“MARIA!!!!!”
“Oh no, it is Cecelia. Adios, and good luck.” She said as she ducked out of the room.
“So, what are you going to do?” Kane asked.
“Well, like she said, I’m going to take it slow, ask her for help with some homework, talk to her and get to know her.”
“Sounds good. When are you going to make the move?”
“I’m not. I’m just going to let it happen.”

I decided to follow up on my follow up and find out how it ends.
It isn't done yet, and it definately isn't finished.
enjoy
Leona 13