The Unwritten Rules: Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

The Unwritten Rules: Chapter 1

By emmernemmer PLATINUM, Stockton, California
emmernemmer PLATINUM, Stockton, California

"the pen is mightier than the sword"

It is the truth universally acknowledge that a girl in possession of no boyfriend should have no want in her best friend's boyfriend.

~~~~
I guess there are 2 unwritten rules 4 girls. The 1st is 2 be followed. No exeptions. The 2nd is better 2 follow then not follow. Here they are:
1: Never, ever, like your best friends/ friend's boyfriend
2: Don't like/go out with your best friend's/friend's ex-boyfriend

As of today, I have broken rule #1.

~~~~

I realized I had broken the rule one night. It was one of those deep dreams that your sub conscious controls. I dreamed I was at the beach and my friend, Quinn and her boyfriend, Tom. Next in the dream, I went 4 a walk and Tom came. We talked and then we were sitting on a log and he kissed me. I kissed him back.
At the end of the dream Quinn and Tom broke up and I went out with Tom. When I woke up I realized I liked him. I had broken the unwritten rule #1.

~~~~

The problem is that not only does Tom hang out with Quinn and I, he is in all of my classes and 2 out of Quinn's 7 classes. So not only did I have to deal with the reminder of Tom all the time, for 2 of the 7 classes I have to watch them flirt.
And to make things worse, I have to sit next to my reminder for all the classes Quinn isn't in. So he's my lab partner in science, I share a stand with him in band, next to him in history, same in the 2 classes for English. He has brown hair that has a habit of falling a little in his eyes, warm chocolate eyes, about 2 inches taller than me, a cute smile, and when he is worried and smiles and tries to tell you he's ok his nose wrinkles up a little. It's cute.

Quinn has a classic girl-next-door look. Pretty blond hair, sapphire blue eyes, and a way to make you comterble in your own skin. Thats what made me feel so bad about breaking unwritten rule #1. Quinn is a great friend.

~~~~

So I did my best to not flirt or anything before school, my reminder was occupied in algebra, then in English we talked and he had his worried smile on. This is where our conversation took an interesting turn.
"what's wrong?" I asked him.
"nothing." I wasn't convinced.
"I don't believe you."
"how come?"
"because you have that smile. Your nose is wrinkling." I pointed to his nose. He smiled. A real one now. I smiled back.
"fine. Our relationship isn't going well."
"oh dear. Are you ok? Is Quinn?" he smiled thoughtfully.
"it's fine. Thanks for worrying Jenny." yes, that's my name. My full name is, Jennifer Rosalind Henderson.
"ok. But don't be afraid to ask for help." he smiled again.
"ok I'll remember." I smiled back. He was so charming and handsome.
"good." then the bell rang.
At lunch Tom sat with us as always, to my dismay. I sat by Quinn and Tom sat across from us. He was in a hurry to get to the library so his head was bending down with his hair in his eyes. Quinn was laughing and brushing his hair out his eyes. When he laughed I felt my stomach flip.
When he left I dropped the bomb. Not THE bomb. But a bomb nonetheless.
"So Tom told me your relationship isn't going that well."
"Oh. Well I guess that's true."
"You ok?"
"I'm fine. How did Tom sound? Did he sound like he wanted it to end?"
"He sounded fine. Why are you wondering if he wants it over?"
"I have a feeling that he is starting to like someone else." my heart jumped in alarm and giddiness. I put on a thoughtful face.
"Who? Who would he like besides you?"
"I don't know. But... Oh it's nothing... He wouldn't." she said this more to herself than me.
"What is it?"
"He said that he had this weird dream and it was at the beach and you and I were there. He wouldn't tell me anymore."
"So?"
"Well it's like something his sub-conscious came up with. Like you and him in the end of the dream, you and him were together."
"Oh Quinn, how could you think that? I'm your best friend. Surely he wouldn't even think of it." she sighed.
"But still."
"Quinn, it's like an unwritten rule of girls never to like your best friend's boyfriend."
"I know, I know, Jenny. But I'm still not sure."
"I know. It will be ok."
" I know. Just promise me, you'll tell me if u know anything. Right?" I laughed.
"Of course Quinn." then we had to head to PE.

~~~~

After PE I had band. Once or twice I spotted Tom looking, or maybe just glancing, at me. I felt myself blush each time. Once he was definitely looking at me I blushed and he smiled I couldnt help but smile back.
If Tom had not been dating someone, my best friend for that matter, I would have thought he was flirting with me. But even if he was, there was Quinn to think about. She was my friend. Even if I wanted to I couldn’t it would be wrong.What can I do?

"the pen is mightier than the sword"

thanks. I was running out of timw when i wrote it so i didnt have time 2 not use shorthands

ohsnapitsmegan BRONZE, Stockton, California

Writing is just thinking on paper

What's up with all the texting short hands? It makes the article look a little akward. But other than that, TWO THUMBS UP!