11:11 – A Magical Wish | Teen Ink

11:11 – A Magical Wish

By Nikki_G GOLD, Marlborough, Massachusetts
Nikki_G GOLD, Marlborough, Massachusetts

Carabella, an 11th grader at Middlespook High School, is distraught by every teenagers worst enemy: parents. Every morning seems to hold a new fight to prepare her for the rest of her day. Walking into her chemistry class on Friday morning (last day before exams), she is told that they have a substitute: Ms. Goodwill, who tells the class to create an experiment that will cause a mysterious red liquid to change to solid gold. The first to accomplish this task, will be rewarded.

By the end of the period, there had been multiple explosions, a few singed eyebrows, and one solid gold beaker, which belonged to Carabella. Ms. Goodwill handed a silk lined box that held a flat, copper stone with a note reading: “When destroyed, the energy released will result in an explosion.” Carabella thought to herself, “great, another way to live happily ever after.”

That Sunday night, Carabella had an unfortunate screaming match with her father, resulting in the typical “you live under my roof, you live by my rules!”, thus resulting in Carabella locking herself in her room for the night to prepare for her exams the next morning. While studying, Carabella decided to pull out the stone that Ms. Goodwill had given her. She held it, turned it over a few times, and then decided to go to bed – after all, it was getting late. She slipped the stone under her pillow and cried herself to sleep. Little did she know, that with the impact of her tears, the stone’s powers were put to work. Carabella’s last words before falling asleep that night were “I wish I could find love. I hate being alone.”

The next day, having overslept (or so she thought), Carabella arrived late to her exam. Later that day, she began realizing that every wish she asked for, was coming true. Throughout the week, this suspicion grew, since it seemed that every day, two wishes were granted – one at 11:11 AM and one at 11:11 PM. She didn’t understand what was going on until Ms. Goodwill came up to her and asked how the wishing stone was; then everything made sense.

The next day, Carabella had a mishap in the hallway and ran face-first into Zane. A couple of weeks pass, the wishes are going well, family life isn’t as treacherous, and Zane has become Carabella’s new boyfriend. The only downside to her life, was Zane’s ex-girlfriend: Mariah.

Carabella began questioning Zane’s love for her, while remembering that wish she had made that Sunday night: for love. She wanted the love to be pure, but was unsure that it was. She set out to destroy the stone.

She brings the stone to the middle of the forest, and smashes it with a mallet. The mallet causes thousands of tiny stone pieces to fly in every direction. Carabella picks one up and realized that it’s not destroyed, rather multiplied. She also realized that the stone is in fact diamond, coated in copper, and is unsure of how to destroy it. Mariah, being jealous as she is, eavesdrops on Carabella, and hears her speak of the powers of the stone, and how all need to be destroyed. Mariah bends down, picks up one tiny piece, and goes back to the apartment complex she shares with Carabella.

Carabella collected all the pieces, went home and tried to discover how to destroy it, resulting in her leaving the pieces on her counter, walking away and her father discovering them and believing that these tiny particles were extra seasonings. Scraping them together, Carabella’s father put them in his sandwich, microwaved it, and proceeded to eat it. When Carabella returned, she questioned her father, who explained his story. Carabella figured they were destroyed by the microwave but was wondering where the “great explosion” was. Mariah, listening outside, realized that Carabella needed all of the pieces destroyed in order to have Zane all to herself, so she decided to put the piece one place that Carabella could never retrieve it – and Mariah ate the small wishing stone. Seconds later, a large explosion came from outside the apartment door.

All in all, it turns out that stomach acid was the only thing that could destroy the magical wishing stone, and the explosion ended up destroying Mariah as well. Zane, on the other hand, ended up questioning Carabella about the fact that she didn’t believe their love was true – which caused Carabella to wonder how it could be real if she had truly made the wish in the first place. It turns out, that Carabella made that specific wish at 11:11 PM... but it had actually been 12:11 AM because of daylight savings time. The wish had not been granted, and their love was true – allowing them to live happily ever after.

Written for a class assignment – an original fairy tale. I love how it turned out!!

Nikki_G GOLD said...
thank you :)

got love?<3 said...

Wow, very cute!!!!;)