Because of A Trombone | Teen Ink

Because of A Trombone

March 6, 2011
By softballfreak42 GOLD, Holmdel, New Jersey
softballfreak42 GOLD, Holmdel, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
-DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-A love story gone wrong. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a love story.
-Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.
-When writing the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen.


Being the new girl is awful! Life in Michigan was promised to be so much better than before; yeah, right. “Oh, Nina, look how quaint and quiet it is here!” Mama always tells me. I disagree. Big-time.

We moved to Michigan because my dad got transferred here from the suburbs of New York. Don’t ask me why we had to move to Michigan when there was a whole jumble of jobs in the Big Apple not so far from home. All I know is that my dad is extremely attached to his job and didn’t want to leave the company. So, here I am, beginning my life over again.
First day of school: what the movies said were 100% true. Being the new girl is absolutely awful. I walked through the halls this morning amidst the cries of friends seeing each other again: “Oh my god!” “You’re back!” “Great to see you!” “You’re so tan!” The last one came from a bunch of stuck-up looking girls. I made sure not to pay any attention to them. I kept my head down, books clutched close to my chest, quietly walking down the hallway.
Wham! I walked into the library door as it was opening outward. I fell to the floor, books scattering everywhere. My brand-new binders involuntarily slipped from my grasp, and I felt my face flushing as I started to get up, trying to ignore those girls laughing at my expense.
“You okay?” I heard a voice from above; granted, I was still on the floor. I turned my head and saw the kind face of a girl looking down on me.
“Nope, thanks for asking though,” I retorted. I laughed after to show that I was joking around.
“I’m so sorry. I was in a hurry to get to first period ‘cause it’s the first day of school and everything...” she rambled on while I studied her. Long brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail with a few stray locks falling around her face gently. She wore a graphic T-shirt and a pair of jeans with equally worn-out skate shoes. Grasped in her hand was a case of some sort.

“It’s fine, really. Just a little disoriented if anything. Just curious, what’s in the case?”

“”This? My clarinet,” she responded easily. “I’m in band.”

“You’re in band?” I asked incredulously. Everyone back home who was in the band didn’t seem anything like this girl; I had pictured her as a jock.

“Yep. It’s actually a lot of fun, contrary to most people’s beliefs. Especially jazz band.”

“Jazz band?” I questioned. I had thought that band people only played that boring classical

stuff in school, not cool music like that.

“Uh huh. It’s so awesome. I took up the saxophone in addition to the clarinet for that reason alone.”

I nodded my head, interest peaked. “Any way I could get in on the awesomeness?” I smiled eagerly.

“Sit with me and the rest of my band friends at lunch, and we’ll tell you all about it. Sound good?”

“Cool, I will definitely be there... wait, what lunch period do you have?”

“6th. You?”

“6th.” I breathed a sigh of relief; now I knew that I wouldn’t be sitting alone that day.


The author's comments:
I started writing this for school, but it sort of turned into a romance piece when it was about music... So, instead of submitting it for class, I decided to post what I've got so far.