Tutored to be Loved Chapter 12: Preparation | Teen Ink

Tutored to be Loved Chapter 12: Preparation

By chrisoulakat PLATINUM, Tinley Park, Illinois
chrisoulakat PLATINUM, Tinley Park, Illinois

"Stop waiting and be free. Of me- put me deep inside you and then go out in the world and live. Love the world and yourself in it, move through it offers no resistance, as though the world is your natural element." -The Time Traveler's Wife

These few months feel like they’re going forever. I received a job at McDonald’s, and Sean’s been working a lot lately- so we’ve been having not much time to see each other. As long as he’s trying to provide for our child, I will be fine. Today we’re going to find out the gender of the baby.

“Ready, honey?” I asked him as we walked into the doctor’s office.

“Ready as ever.” He was tense and shaking. “I hope it’s a boy. Maybe we could name him after me.” He forced a smile on his face.

“I’d like that, too.” We took a seat and our hands were glued to each other. The nurse called our names and a half hour later, we found out the baby was a girl.

“Oh gosh, now I have to worry about her dating boys.” Sean said, and we laughed. I had no idea what I’d be naming.

***
“Hello Lily.” Father Dionysus stood up as I entered the room. Another woman was next to him. She had olive skin, with dark eyes and dark curly hair that bounced all over.
“Hello, Father.” I kissed his hand and sat down.
“I wanted to bring you here today because I really want you to talk with my niece, Chrisoula.”
“Hello Chrisoula. I am Lily.” I shook her hand.
“Hello Lily. I hope you’re doing okay with your pregnancy.” I was a little shaken by that. How did she know? Oh wait, I’m getting fatter and the baby’s growing. Father excused himself out of the bare room.
“Everything is fine. We found out that the gender of the baby is a girl a few days ago.”
“Congratulations. I wanted to talk to you today about my story. I was pregnant a few years ago at the same age as you. I am Greek Orthodox, and it was so hard on me because of my religious family.”
“I bet.”
“I just wanted to let you know, that these months and first few years will be chaotic. Things happen and I just wanted to tell you, that I am here for you. If you need to call me to get you some baklava or anything, I am just a call away.” We laughed.
“I really appreciate this. The few people I have are Sean, Father, and my mother. It’s nice to have somebody to understand where I’m coming from.” The next hour we discussed what will be happening and how I need to prepare. My baby shower should be planned soon. I am almost six months.
“Give me a call. Here is my number, and I will help you.”
“Thank you, Chrisoula.” I kissed her on the cheek and left.

***
A few weeks later, we held the baby shower. We received so many delightful gifts from our family members. A few of Sean’s friends came. None of mine from school came, except for Chrisoula and my mother. Sean came late, but his truck didn’t start up. We received blankets, bottles, accessories for my baby girl’s bedroom. I was elated. Spring break was starting this week. That means Sean and his buddies will be starting the bedroom. I requested for the room color to be pink and brown. My mother thankfully moved her office into her bedroom so this girl could sleep well.

Names. We have not decided on names. My list consists of:
MARIE Too many cousins named that.
ANNIE Too many aunts named that.
ELLIE Too similar to my name.
SKYLER: Possibility.
AVERY: Too….nature-y?

None of the names except for Skyler really had me going. Sean and I have been fighting over them. He says we should name this girl after his great-grandmother like Louise or Carey. I rejected those ideas. He helps me, but he works way too much. I discussed with him how he needs to focus on financially caring for our baby. He promised me he will find time for me. He promised.

Don't worry! More drama is coming soon!