Bound by Love...Severed by Tragedy | Teen Ink

Bound by Love...Severed by Tragedy

By SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio
SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio

"Backpack, gimme another beer!" --Nate Bell

Jake Cooper entered Wood Pines High School and took a breath. He had no idea that today his life would change. Jake was a junior and he was returning from Christmas vacation. It was a Monday morning.
Jake also didn’t know that today he would meet the girl of his dreams. The girl he would fall madly in love with. Her name was Maddie Saven. She was a sophomore. She was stunning and beautiful. Her long brown hair accented her light blue eyes in such a way that they seemed to glow with a blue tint.
Jake pulled his backpack up on his shoulders and walked down the crowded halls of the place he used to love back when he was a freshman. He hated it now. There were so many seniors who seemed to hate him. Not because he did anything to them, but because he was the kind of guy that nearly everyone liked. He had that sparkling personality that the ladies loved, and because of that, the seniors despised him.
Slowly down the hall Jake went to his locker. He wasn’t really excited to be back at school, but then again, who was?

Maddie Saven shut her locker, picked up her books, and hurried to her first period class. She had five minutes. Maddie rounded the corner and ran straight into Jake Cooper.
“Sorry,” they both said in unison. Their eyes locked.

Jake knelt down to get Maddie’s books. Follow him, Maddie thought, don’t just stand here. She knelt down slowly just as Jake finished stacking the books. Great, Maddie thought.
“Here,” Jake said, handing her a stack of textbooks and binders. He smiled.
“Thanks,” Maddie smiled back, moving a strand of her hair from out of her eyes.
“The bell’s about to ring, where ya’ headed?”
“Psych, what about you?” Maddie asked, trying to keep up with him.
“Psych as well, were you in my class first semester?”
“No, ha-ha I just switched in from AP Euro.”
“Oh awesome!” Jake stretched out his hand, indicating for Maddie to enter the classroom before him.
“Thanks,” Maddie blushed, and she made her way through the door before the tardy bell rang. Jake didn’t make it.
“Mr. Cooper, you’re tardy.” The teacher, Mr. Preston stated, narrowing his eyes.
“Mr. Preston, he wasn’t late, he just allowed me to go in before him.” Maddie challenged.
“Office, now, both of you.”

Jake and Maddie both sighed as they exited the office. They were both holding detention slips.
“Well on the Brightside, we get to spend an extra hour together.” Jake chatted.
“Yeah, ha-ha in silence though…”

First period ended and Maddie was packing up her books when Jake sauntered over to her.
“Hey…I always like to get new people’s numbers when I meet them…”
“Oh, is that so? And how exactly do you know I want to give mine to you?” Maddie smirked.
“I guess I don’t…” Jake sighed.
“Well I do,” Maddie smiled.

Jake’s eyes lit up as he pulled out his phone. Maddie removed it from his hands and put her number in it.
“Thanks. The name’s Jake by the way.”
“Maddie,” she returned, reaching out her hand, “And you’re welcome.”

Their hands touched and Maddie’s face turned a light pink color.
“So you have English next right?” Maddie suddenly asked, picking up her books.
“Yeah, and you?”
“English as well, I remember seeing you in it last semester.” Maddie slowed her words. Easy Maddie, don’t scare him off.
“Cool, walk you to class then?” Jake requested.
“I’d like that, a lot.”

Jake gestured toward the door and Maddie walked out. Jake followed. It was two weeks later after Jake and Maddie met that Jake asked her out. He knew she was the girl of his dreams. He was positive of it. Maddie was ecstatic, she couldn’t believe it.

It was a dreary Tuesday on the morning of March 15th, 2012. Jake Cooper was running late, so he sped in his car to Maddie’s house to pick her up. She ran out and got in his car.
“Good morning,” Maddie smiled at her boyfriend. Jake leaned over and gave her a kiss, which she returned by lightly grabbing his neck and pulling herself toward him.
“I love you so much Maddie,” he mumbled through her barrage of passionate kisses.
“I love you too Jake.”

They both grinned. They were so happy together. Nothing could separate them. They had a bond that couldn’t be severed.
“Never leave me Jake.”
“Baby, we were meant to be together, I’m convinced.” And he kissed her again.

Jake and Maddie entered Wood Pines High School hand in hand, unaware that today their lives would change forever. It was in between first and second period when three masked students entered the school. They were wielding weapons. The secretary tried to phone for help but the gunmen were too quick, and they shot her. That first gunshot rang throughout the school, and students and teachers took cover in their classrooms.

Jake wrapped his arms around Maddie as she began crying.
“Everything is going to be fine, Maddie, I promise.” Jake assured her. She said nothing as she put her head on Jake’s chest. It was twenty minutes later that a gunman entered their room.
“Alright,” he bellowed, “Everyone up, now!”

The frightened students did what they were told. Jake and Maddie followed. The gunman made them line up. Maddie stood slightly behind Jake. The gunman raised his gun at Maddie and she stared at the floor while Jake slowly moved her behind him.
“Quit aiming at her,” Jake firmly said, tightening his fist in anger.
“What the hell are you gonna’ do?” the gunman teased, as he cocked his gun. It was still aimed at Maddie.

Jake quickly raised his fist and it caught the gunman in the jaw, causing him to stumble backwards.
“Maddie go over there,” Jake said, pointing to the rest of the students.
“Oh, no you don’t.” The gunman said, aiming his shotgun directly at Maddie’s head.

Time seemed to slow down as Jake jumped in front of the gun as it fired. The shrapnel ripped through Jake’s stomach as Maddie screamed. Another boy tackled the snickering gunman and knocked the shotgun to the ground. Thinking fast, another boy picked up the gun and shot the gunman.
“Jake…” Maddie sobbed.
“Maddie…I lov…” And he passed out. Maddie began crying harder now.
“Help!” She screamed.

But help didn’t come fast enough, Jake Cooper died, still loving Maddie just as much as the first day he met her.

This story is a parallel of my life (minus the shooting) and my ex girlfriend, whom I still like very much.

Mstarlight said...
Mstarlight, Alamogordo, New Mexico
I really like this story! Keep writing, you're a good writer!

SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio

thank you so so much! haha and yes i've wondered that myself...how i can come up with twisted stories. im actually coming up with one now about a killer that keeps journals about his work

xxinnocentxx BRONZE, Fontana, California

aww its sad and so cute too... yup lol ur one of my favorite authors ^-^ im sure of it now.

honestly tho... u have me wondering even more what goes thru that head of yours... kinda scary.... but super creative...

SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio

thank you so much! and yeah i will keep that in mind!

Danealle SILVER, Wheeling, Illinois

Anything is possible with a smile and goal in mind.

The story line is wonderful! 

As a critic I would use more detail and expand on the ending. 

SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio

thanks a lot!!

SabreEleven DIAMOND, Madeira, Ohio

thanks so much! that means a ton!

Mystiecub said...
Wow. I'm left speechless after that. Awesome writing!

cookiemonstaaa97 BRONZE, Scotts, Michigan

Books say: she did this, because. Life says: she did this. Books are where things are explained to you, life where things aren't.
Julian Barnes

amazing story. details are imaculate.  :)